The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-03-22 05:19:04

CircleOfSorrow

Re: People who keep their values intentionally low

42dustman wrote:
StefanLindskog wrote:

I don't approve of exposing shlam's house like that - at all. I have a more complete map than you guys do, and would never post it here. Shame on you dustman and Amatiel.

EDIT: If shlam's house fall because of this it was a collaborative forum brute force job (CFBFJ) and won't count towards any honor.

Who's to approve what is and isn't a honorable strategy in TCD? All kinds of "low" strategies are used extensively in this game: Clocks, wireless transmission (before the bug was fixed), magic dances, comb locks behind commit gates, use of superior wealth to brute force possible threats out of the picture, scouting and transferring money with dual accounts, destroying poor houses just for the lulz, artificially keeping your wealth low to avoid attention, constantly reseting the death counter to make the house look harmless to noobs, hoarding paintings so no one else can have them, etc...

Talking of being honorable in this game is like talking of being hygienic in the sewers. hmm

And by the way, Shlam also does most of those things I mentioned:

Wow, thanks for the tips!

big_smile

#27 2014-03-22 05:25:59

Kimenzar

everything is allowed in war and love.

Castle Doctrine is like a war between all to become the most wealthiest person and hold this status long enough.

He can change his House everytime and the information in the forum is then useless. Simple Game, if you cry for more paintings and have many paintings you get attention, not only from one but more. And it's better on the forum than private, where the Houseowner can't see plots against him.

In my opinion, I will not support this, because it will not affect me anymore. But if I want the paintings soon I'll use every piece of information =P

#28 2014-03-22 06:30:05

Amatiel

42dustman wrote:
StefanLindskog wrote:

I don't approve of exposing shlam's house like that - at all. I have a more complete map than you guys do, and would never post it here. Shame on you dustman and Amatiel.

EDIT: If shlam's house fall because of this it was a collaborative forum brute force job (CFBFJ) and won't count towards any honor.

Who's to approve what is and isn't a honorable strategy in TCD? All kinds of "low" strategies are used extensively in this game: Clocks, wireless transmission (before the bug was fixed), magic dances, comb locks behind commit gates, use of superior wealth to brute force possible threats out of the picture, scouting and transferring money with dual accounts, destroying poor houses just for the lulz, artificially keeping your wealth low to avoid attention, constantly reseting the death counter to make the house look harmless to noobs, hoarding paintings so no one else can have them, etc...

Talking of being honorable in this game is like talking of being hygienic in the sewers. hmm

And by the way, Shlam also does most of those things I mentioned:

http://i.imgur.com/LQqAGyN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4L2VbH3.jpg

Well that proves beyond a doubt that hes using dual accounts.

That moral high ground shlam and stefan are standing on is looking REAL shaky now

Come on guys no one likes a hypocrite. I would feel honored that my house was worthy of such attention.

Current Name: Darryl Gary Breeden

Died to self test yet again..... FFS..... ill be back

#29 2014-03-22 07:21:11

GotABigTrap

yeah its obvious lots of people use duel accounts.  I make a starter house and within 2 minutes a person comes in and dies on purpose leaving a 5000 bounty.  10 seconds later another comes to collect it.  I suppose that they could just be friends though.

#30 2014-03-22 07:29:17

CircleOfSorrow

GotABigTrap wrote:

yeah its obvious lots of people use duel accounts.  I make a starter house and within 2 minutes a person comes in and dies on purpose leaving a 5000 bounty.  10 seconds later another comes to collect it.  I suppose that they could just be friends though.

I'm a bit slow...help me out...why don't they just suicide in their own alt account?...

#31 2014-03-22 07:45:04

Amatiel

CircleOfSorrow wrote:
GotABigTrap wrote:

I'm a bit slow...help me out...why don't they just suicide in their own alt account?...

Chills stops them from doing it in their own house more than once a day.

To do it more than once a day they kill their 2nd account in someone elses house which then allows your main account to rob that house shortly afterwards. So they are doing it over and over again.

I always suspected that Mr Howard was doing this, as they way he described he gets his insane amount of riches so fast didnt make sense. He is not the only one though, many people are doing it and I believe it is mainly a side effect of the game slowing down so much now since steam release. After 25K Value, you can count the robber deaths you get per day on one hand. It's too slow and its becoming more like one of those games where you play it away from the keyboard so to speak. And its getting worse.

Perhaps Jason should look at reintroducing the salary system where you earn so much per day on top of bounties. I dont know what the solution is (besides another large influx of players), but it does need addressing.

#32 2014-03-22 08:05:26

Amatiel

And surprise surprise Mr Howard has paid me a visit, shortly after his value of 4k shot up progressively to a total value (including tools he took to my house) of nearly 20k in no time at all.

Hes gonna have to exploit his second account a whole lot more to crack my house though but still, this is the first time I can look at a certain behavior and say that is where i personally draw the line.

To me, using a second account to generate large amounts of wealth for your first using an exploit breaks the game and is cheating. Im even fine with two friends working together to scout a house but this takes it too far imo.

Well i wondered how long it would take people to break "the castle doctrine", its so prolific now that its arguably unplayable as i refuse to compete by following suit.

Last edited by Amatiel (2014-03-22 08:06:10)

#33 2014-03-22 08:15:21

StefanLindskog

Hand on heart, one account. I've accepted santa runs from friends after they've died, pointed people in the direction of a vulnerable house and killed Costanzo in the house of a friend. My moral high ground feels firm enough to me. If shlam's success is due to dual accounts, then shame on him. The operative word is IF.

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#34 2014-03-22 08:22:25

Amatiel

StefanLindskog wrote:

Hand on heart, one account. I've accepted santa runs from friends after they've died, pointed people in the direction of a vulnerable house and killed Costanzo in the house of a friend. My moral high ground feels firm enough to me. If shlam's success is due to dual accounts, then shame on him. The operative word is IF.

Well Dustman's two pics prove he has done it at least once.

And it also explains his erratic wealth levels

#35 2014-03-22 08:30:25

shlam16

Amatiel you need to get a grip and stop trying to play the martyr card when you are the expletive who is in the wrong here. My brother does in fact have an account, and we frequently do scout together, but this nonsense you are spouting is simply that. Nonsense. I also love your "proof beyond a doubt" too, you would make a great scientist. Do you realise how many houses I stick my head into when I'm online? All of them, that's how many. But since I stick my head into a house and find a vault staring me in the face, I am to be condemned for taking it?

Also, how about you get your story straight. My wealth was sitting at 9k when I came back online. I promptly robbed some low hanging fruit (Charles David Clark had like $4800 alone) and got up to about 16k before spending around 10k in your house. What a waste of space it is. I mean literally. Yawning chasms of pits, concrete/pit/concrete/pit, no creativity whatsoever. Unlike some of the more petty and spiteful players in this game, I will not post the map of your house. I don't want anyone else getting what is mine. Expect to see me back again shortly, if you actually payed attention to the broken maps you would notice just how often free money shows up in them. Here's a free tip, map out Patrick Connells house and some of the other obviously broken ones, those are abandoned goldmines. If you spent more time perfecting your game than complaining, you might realise just how easy it is to turn a profit from the 2-6k lower middle class.

Edit: Well that last attempt was a waste of money, I wasted too much time writing this stupid comment and forgot to buy crowbars. Oh well, see you tomorrow.

Edit 2: You know what, screw you guys in general. I'm going to have a long think tonight about retiring my house unbroken. If I'm entirely honest, the game got stale a while ago and I was only playing it out of habit. It was Stefan who helped reignite my passion with our recent challenge. With multiple low rate thieves sharing my map, I would rather die than have some petty fool take all of the paintings.

Last edited by shlam16 (2014-03-22 08:59:01)

#36 2014-03-22 08:56:46

Amatiel

shlam16 wrote:

Amatiel you need to get a grip and stop trying to play the martyr card when you are the expletive who is in the wrong here. My brother does in fact have an account, and we frequently do scout together, but this nonsense you are spouting is simply that. Nonsense. I also love your "proof beyond a doubt" too, you would make a great scientist. Do you realise how many houses I stick my head into when I'm online? All of them, that's how many. But since I stick my head into a house and find a vault staring me in the face, I am to be condemned for taking it?

Also, how about you get your story straight. My wealth was sitting at 9k when I came back online. I promptly robbed some low hanging fruit (Charles David Clark had like $4800 alone) and got up to about 16k before spending around 10k in your house. What a waste of space it is. I mean literally. Yawning chasms of pits, concrete/pit/concrete/pit, no creativity whatsoever. Unlike some of the more petty and spiteful players in this game, I will not post the map of your house. I don't want anyone else getting what is mine. Expect to see me back again shortly, if you actually payed attention to the broken maps you would notice just how often free money shows up in them. Here's a free tip, map out Patrick Connells house and some of the other obviously broken ones, those are abandoned goldmines.

Edit: Well that last attempt was a waste of money, I wasted too much time in this forum and forgot to buy crowbars. Oh well, see you tomorrow.

I am familiar with most of the broken houses and they very seldom have more than 1-2k above their broken vault state. Scouting together is fine imo, you take it too far tho:

I am accusing you of having ur "bro" attain a large bounty then die in someones low level/broken house so you can come along with your main account and collect the lot. Looks like you profit 5k each time you do this. This takes it too far and i hadn't until now thought of someone making cash like that.

I have been watching your wealth levels closely over the past week and there is simply no way your wealth levels can be explained any other way, especially with your extremely cautious and expensive method of robbing people where you refuse to stand on electric floor that isnt cut first instead of checking for clocks the cheap way like the rest of us who don't have oodles of cash from exploiting the game.

I will enjoy watching your repeated failed attempts at breaking my house. Perhaps after many more attempts you will come to understand it's cleverness?

#37 2014-03-22 09:06:51

StefanLindskog

FYbJyAd.gif

Last edited by StefanLindskog (2014-03-22 10:27:06)

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#38 2014-03-22 09:35:19

GotABigTrap

Well I'd have to say this is becoming an interesting showdown.  And yes, coincidentally, this is the exact name of the individual who wrecked my starter house by dumping a bounty and collecting it by killing my wife, "Brian Robert Howard.

Do I have a problem with any of this?  Not in a personal way.  Nothing personal against shlam15 either.  But Brian Robert Howard killed one of my wives and wracked my starter house in a previous life!  He also seems to hoard like every single freaking painting.  Yeah I said it!  Mr Howard you have to understand that you cannot just go around wrecking the lower class houses and hoarding all the art in existence.  I was trying to find a cheap painting to make my little wooden home a bit more comfortable for my new wife.  I have a feeling that she is unhappy because there is no paintings in the auction house despite my 10k money just doesn't buy happiness anymore.

#39 2014-03-22 14:35:59

Garinoth

I'm going to leave this article here. There is also an entire book if anyone else is interested.

The thing is that what is being discussed here has always happened, specially in competitive gaming, obviously, but as this game is so liberal in the ways it can be played, and so punishing when you mess things up, I think all this should be taken as part of the game. Having dual accounts just to farm money looks a bit opur of the boundaries of the game in my opinion though, but it is Jason who has the right and the power to determine if it really should be taken out from the game. I don't like it and I won't do it, but the advantage he is getting isn't thaaaat big anyway, as the houses have a pretty strict space limit, and can be broken with sufficient attempts.

By the way, I think this whole thread is really giving what the game needs, some face to face action between people that try to rob and destroy each other ^^

#40 2014-03-22 15:13:46

Lord0fHam

shlam16 wrote:

You know what, screw you guys in general. I'm going to have a long think tonight about retiring my house unbroken. If I'm entirely honest, the game got stale a while ago and I was only playing it out of habit. It was Stefan who helped reignite my passion with our recent challenge. With multiple low rate thieves sharing my map, I would rather die than have some petty fool take all of the paintings.

If you're gonna do that, show me that map first, I helped you with that spreadsheet after all, and i want those paintings!

It's a trap!

#41 2014-03-22 18:35:26

shlam16

Lord0fHam wrote:
shlam16 wrote:

You know what, screw you guys in general. I'm going to have a long think tonight about retiring my house unbroken. If I'm entirely honest, the game got stale a while ago and I was only playing it out of habit. It was Stefan who helped reignite my passion with our recent challenge. With multiple low rate thieves sharing my map, I would rather die than have some petty fool take all of the paintings.

If you're gonna do that, show me that map first, I helped you with that spreadsheet after all, and i want those paintings!

Think you could hold onto them safely? I don't want them to go to one of these other noobs, even through you. If you're confident with your house I might. I still haven't made up my mind.

#42 2014-03-22 18:42:48

42dustman

Could someone share more of that map, please?

Self-testing is torture.

#43 2014-03-22 19:15:20

shlam16

42dustman wrote:

Come map it yourself, noob.

Last edited by shlam16 (2014-03-22 19:15:51)

#44 2014-03-22 19:32:13

42dustman

shlam16 wrote:
42dustman wrote:

Come map it yourself, noob.

Would, but ain't got a second account to work around chills and all that... tongue

Self-testing is torture.

#45 2014-03-22 19:49:30

Lord0fHam

shlam16 wrote:
Lord0fHam wrote:
shlam16 wrote:

Think you could hold onto them safely? I don't want them to go to one of these other noobs, even through you. If you're confident with your house I might. I still haven't made up my mind.

Maybe. nobody has ever gotten past the first part, but then again, i've never had any real tries. I'm trying to come up with something to replace a combo lock to make it less easily brute forced. Maybe some sort of cat puzzle that closes doors and opens pits if you do it wrong, but is needed to solve the house normally? feel free to email me any ideas you have so that these jerks don't get them. Also 42dustman, stop being a dick. not only did you reveal his house but you are also asking for MORE??? just play the game like a normal person. I've spent 25k scouting holmes and now i know almost exactly where his vault is. It feels much better to solve a house than get someone else to do it for you. not only that, but you've ruined the game for shlam16. I can't believe that his house stood up to multiple 60k attempts and he is also a very skilled robber. I don't think you would like it very much if he did the same to you.

Also shlam16 if you don't want others getting the paintings, feel free to commit honorable sudoku in my house and i'll use your bounty to buy the ones i like, while screwing the others because they cant buy them all.

Last edited by Lord0fHam (2014-03-22 19:51:04)

It's a trap!

#46 2014-03-22 20:26:40

42dustman

Lord0fHam wrote:
shlam16 wrote:
Lord0fHam wrote:

Maybe. nobody has ever gotten past the first part, but then again, i've never had any real tries. I'm trying to come up with something to replace a combo lock to make it less easily brute forced. Maybe some sort of cat puzzle that closes doors and opens pits if you do it wrong, but is needed to solve the house normally? feel free to email me any ideas you have so that these jerks don't get them. Also 42dustman, stop being a dick. not only did you reveal his house but you are also asking for MORE??? just play the game like a normal person. I've spent 25k scouting holmes and now i know almost exactly where his vault is. It feels much better to solve a house than get someone else to do it for you. not only that, but you've ruined the game for shlam16. I can't believe that his house stood up to multiple 60k attempts and he is also a very skilled robber. I don't think you would like it very much if he did the same to you.

Also shlam16 if you don't want others getting the paintings, feel free to commit honorable sudoku in my house and i'll use your bounty to buy the ones i like, while screwing the others because they cant buy them all.

Let me see if got this straight...

If I reveal a part of the house that can be easily scouted with 2k I'm being a dick and am ruining the game, but if Shlam uses dual accounts to hoard half the paintings in the game behind a 'final stage' house that no rich player is going to rob because the value is kept aways low (a strategy he opened this very topic to criticize in other players), then that's totally cool?

Self-testing is torture.

#47 2014-03-22 20:39:07

Amatiel

Lord of ham, surely you dont view exploiting using two accounts as a lesser evil compared to cooperative forum robbing?

Two people now have said they have witnessed Mr howard using this exploit.

In fact He has made two brute force attempts against my house now and one can guess hows hes getting the cash to do that easily enough.

We have to take him down... for justice!

Ill be contributing to the map again shortly dustman.

Last edited by Amatiel (2014-03-22 20:44:11)

#48 2014-03-22 20:47:40

Lord0fHam

I'm not saying that either of the two (dual accounts, cooperative forum robbing) are ok. they are both stupid and ruin the game for other people. In regards to "protecting himself" by keeping his value low, there is nothing stopping you from robbing him. If you want the paintings which have a LOW estimate of 600k value, then you rob him. If you are worried about not getting a cash return, then rob someone else. It doesn't impact you at all what he does in regards to his own wealth.

It's a trap!

#49 2014-03-22 20:52:40

Amatiel

Lord0fHam wrote:

I'm not saying that either of the two (dual accounts, cooperative forum robbing) are ok. they are both stupid and ruin the game for other people. In regards to "protecting himself" by keeping his value low, there is nothing stopping you from robbing him. If you want the paintings which have a LOW estimate of 600k value, then you rob him. If you are worried about not getting a cash return, then rob someone else. It doesn't impact you at all what he does in regards to his own wealth.

He has now made TWO brute force attempts against me with that "low worth" your talking about. He is an unfair threat to everyone because hes a serial exploiter. It surprises me that you cant see that.

#50 2014-03-22 20:55:46

42dustman

Lord0fHam wrote:

I don't want the paintings, I want the paintings to go around free. If I were the one to rob him, I would just come back to his house, take one step forward and suicide. wink

Self-testing is torture.

Board footer