The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-05-14 17:54:23

zed

Re: Abandoned Houses

All we need is for people to pay attention to the coming of v6, and start designing houses which don't rely on hidden information.

I've done that... my house's logic isn't hard to expose, and the puzzle is tricky but fair. It has around 2-3 grand in it currently, and is distinguished by a big square of doors at its centre. It's been there for a few days without anyone solving it (or even really trying, as far as I can tell from the snuff videos). Feel free to pound on it if you're getting annoyed with the samey top houses. I'm interested to see how long it lasts.

#27 2013-05-14 18:48:52

Blip

zed wrote:

All we need is for people to pay attention to the coming of v6, and start designing houses which don't rely on hidden information.

I've done that... my house's logic isn't hard to expose, and the puzzle is tricky but fair. It has around 2-3 grand in it currently, and is distinguished by a big square of doors at its centre. It's been there for a few days without anyone solving it (or even really trying, as far as I can tell from the snuff videos). Feel free to pound on it if you're getting annoyed with the samey top houses. I'm interested to see how long it lasts.

I completely agree; we need houses that are puzzles, not guessing games. v6 will make this so, but so few people actually care to future-proof their house, and only a couple of those of us who do have the money to do so. I have a design ready for when I get the money, and it's a nice puzzle, but it would cose upward of 7000 to make, and I can't get that much at this point.

Also, I think I found your house a couple days ago, after a death, and figured I'd give it a glance despite having little money in it at that point. I gave it one try, using some voltage meters, then decided it wasn't worth it. But it's great to see a true puzzle house now! Also, how much did it cost, and where did you get the money?

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#28 2013-05-14 19:09:00

zed

Cost was something like 8000; I got the money by not playing for a few weeks. Not only crime pays!

#29 2013-05-15 00:47:48

DrNoid

Maybe instead of stopping income after a robbery, all income should go to the automatic repair of any damage done during the robbery.
That even gives an incentive to the robbers to do less damage, since less damage means the house will be robbable again sooner.

#30 2013-05-15 07:33:45

setz
Website

Zed, I definitely was attempting your house ALOT last week, if its the one i think.... ....your wife is in the middle of that first room right? Very good design and I could tell that its not just a one in a million guess.

zed wrote:

Cost was something like 8000; I got the money by not playing for a few weeks. Not only crime pays!

^THIS is something that I have been meaning to ask Jason about. I know that if you quit out of the game when you haven't build a single block or tested your house with your initial $2000 that your house doesn't go up on the Leaderboards. BUT I have had a couple times where I have made money this way after coming back a day or two later but other times I am only given my initial $2000 and my family makes no money. I was wondering what the exact requirements for this are because I know obviously I could just place one block, "prove my house is fair", leave and then make the money BUT my house would then be on the Leaderboard list and instantly I would be robbed for all my dough.

So Jason.......What are the exact requirements for "leaving your house, not on the leaderboards but still able to accrue income?"

Thanks!

#31 2013-05-15 22:52:49

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, that "leaving your house without editing it and still getting loads of salary over weeks, in safety," thing was a bug that has been fixed!

Sounds like the lack of salary on easier, "bottom" houses has changed the game for the worst, at least without maps.  We've got 50 guessing-game houses at the top of the list, and that's it.  The rest are all $0....  hmmm...

Okay, turning salary for abandoned houses back on, temporarily.  Will turn it off again, as an experiment, when v6 is released.  Okay, the last payment round paid 764 players $14 each, with $14 more coming in about an hour, etc.  Go for it!

#32 2013-05-16 12:40:59

realitysconcierge

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yeah, that "leaving your house without editing it and still getting loads of salary over weeks, in safety," thing was a bug that has been fixed!

Sounds like the lack of salary on easier, "bottom" houses has changed the game for the worst, at least without maps.  We've got 50 guessing-game houses at the top of the list, and that's it.  The rest are all $0....  hmmm...

Okay, turning salary for abandoned houses back on, temporarily.  Will turn it off again, as an experiment, when v6 is released.  Okay, the last payment round paid 764 players $14 each, with $14 more coming in about an hour, etc.  Go for it!

My lord thank you.

Board footer