The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#76 2013-06-23 17:55:00

largestherb

Re: Encouraging desirable player behaviour

ukuko wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

of course you can't take your backpack through the metal detector at the security office where you view the tapes

Or to your $70 an hour desk job!

what if i work at the tool shop? they seem to be doing enough business to pay $70 an hour, too.

#77 2013-06-24 09:06:39

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, high security when you're getting that much per hour.

#78 2013-06-24 09:25:49

colorfusion

I think a bit of backup money is required after being robbed. It can be used to somewhat repair your house, get on your feet again and start robbing rather than having no money, no tools and a wide open house.

The infinite tools allowed for players to have too much of this backup money and essentially keep almost all of their money completely safe, but I think there needs to be something to replace tools as a way to have some restart money.

The idea of robbers leaving their tools behind hasn't really worked, the same robber or someone else just come in to easily claim the tools, but it probably could if a few things were tweaked.

Last edited by colorfusion (2013-06-24 10:33:52)

#79 2013-06-24 09:26:58

ukuko

You can walk to your safe and be earning again in 10 minutes!

#80 2013-06-24 10:32:14

jere

The infinite tools allowed for players to have too much of this backup money and essentially keep almost all of their money completely safe, but I think there needs to be something to replace tools as a way to keep restart money.

Hmmm.... it'd be really interesting if tools couldn't be sold at all (or only a one-time option on the successful robbery screen). Then, they're just sitting in your vault tempting you to rob someone... and to experiment.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#81 2013-06-24 10:52:30

largestherb

i'd totally up for tools you cannot sell~

#82 2013-06-24 12:48:26

colorfusion

ukuko wrote:

But as you've had no way to repair your traps, and there's most likely a line of broken components leading straight to your vault, you're going to get robbed again before you can really do anything.

In most situations I've been it causes more damage leaving your vault unprotected than you can make up for by placing a wall every 10 minutes.

#83 2013-06-24 13:44:12

bey bey

colorfusion wrote:
ukuko wrote:

But as you've had no way to repair your traps, and there's most likely a line of broken components leading straight to your vault, you're going to get robbed again before you can really do anything.

In most situations I've been it causes more damage leaving your vault unprotected than you can make up for by placing a wall every 10 minutes.

Yup - the nest egg was one of the most important things for me in every game. I've had people come back again and again to further destroy my house (with respawn cash!!) just for the heck of it and only a few k on the side allowed for the needed repairs in the end. If people show up again and again with three ladders just to destroy your pits, 140 bucks don't buy you even one new trapdoor, let alone the four you'd need to be rudimentarily safe again.

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#84 2013-06-24 14:00:35

jasonrohrer
Administrator

The backpack was never intended to serve as a nest egg.

That's what the spouse is for.

If tools cannot be sold, then a good house that builds up lots of tools (through robber deaths) will not be able to convert them into anything.

#85 2013-06-25 05:46:45

bey bey

Yup, it was just an unintended side-effect of backpacks that didn't do much harm - having a few revolvers on the side.

I'll certainly do my best to build a house where the spouse is safe in v10, but I doubt it's possible. By the way: What happens if the wife is killed but the loot not taken? It reverts to the safe I guess?

- Dalleck

#86 2013-06-25 06:24:26

ukuko

bey bey wrote:

By the way: What happens if the wife is killed but the loot not taken? It reverts to the safe I guess?

Someone killed my wife and left the loot and I can confirm that it ended up in the vault. Same for if they kill the wife, get her loot and then die.

#87 2013-06-25 06:25:44

bey bey

Good to know. Think that might happen a lot more with new dog rules. wink

- Dalleck

#88 2013-06-25 08:11:30

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, the idea is that your vault or spouse should never be 100% safe.  Doing that should be impossible.

Of course, players WANT to do that (naturally), which is why some took comfort in the pre-blueprint  (v5) world.  When blueprints were added, it was like, "Well, how am I going to protect my family now!!!???"  The same for the backpack change:  "Well, now they can cut through anything, this is hopeless!!"

But can you imagine a game were there WAS hope of protecting your stuff in all cases?  I guess that was v5.  Of course, everyone would do that, and the game world would stall.  Toward the end of v5, we had 50 houses, 5 full pages, that were successfully protecting their vaults.

So, security isn't impervious.  It's sort of just a temporary stay.  It may slow people down a bit, make it more difficult, and dissuade some people.  But in the end, if someone is REALLY determined, PROTECT WHAT'S YOURS is just a fantasy.

My wife has stories about her father's store getting robbed repeatedly.  They'd cut through the lock, so he'd install a hardened-steel latch plate.  They'd cut through the wall to bypass the door, so then he wired the walls to detect cuts.  They'd snip the phone line so that the alarm report wouldn't even go through, and then cut through the wall, so then he installed a cell-phone based alarm reporting system.  Finally, they just brought 10 guys with them and set off the alarm, but they emptied the entire store and drove away before the cops showed up.

In each case, the newly-beefed-up security gave him a temporary sense of peace:  "Okay, finally, that will stop them for good.  We're safe now."  But it was only a matter of time.

With family protection, you should hopefully be able to build something hard to bypass, but not impossible to bypass.  In general, you can slow probing intruders down until you return home (at that point, you can move the family to a different spot).  But even with your best efforts, someone will come through and get you, eventually.

A chill on death in a house will help with this (because if you manage to kill a particular robber in your house, that will REALLY slow them down).

#89 2013-06-25 10:57:02

largestherb

jasonrohrer wrote:

The backpack was never intended to serve as a nest egg.

That's what the spouse is for.

If tools cannot be sold, then a good house that builds up lots of tools (through robber deaths) will not be able to convert them into anything.

maybe i missed something, but i thought in v10 tools were only going to remain in the house if you reached the vault? i don't think too many would build up if that is the case, since each time new tools are left, the old tools are taken.

#90 2013-06-25 11:51:19

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Only if you reach the vault or die in the house.

If you run out the door, you drop your tools in the street.

Board footer