The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-02-28 19:38:18

Blip

Re: Ideas and questions

joshwithguitar wrote:

There are times when I think "a voltage detector is just what I need right now!" but they are so far and few between that I would never actually take one into a robbery. I think the same would end up happening for the battery.

I liked the idea of the voltage detector, but I agree that it turned out pretty useless. It's the type of thing that I would bring along if it was free, but wouldn't be willing to pay for. Also, it was phased out before signed sprites, and it was redundant because people already had put lit-up wires in their sprites anyways.
I also remember wishing that a "battery" existed a long time ago, back when trapdoors used to conduct, and people just made long lines out of them as their defense. Now, with non-condictive trapdoors, the battery would be much less useful; I rarely have built houses where something like a battery would have had much effect. The one use I could see is disabling clocks by forcing an "on" output, but I'm not sure it would be that useful (you would still have to water over lots of electric floors) and probably wouldn't see much use in that situation anyway.
Anyways, I think the game is, for the most part, properly balanced right now and that adding new tools might just mess that balance up.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#27 2014-02-28 20:31:28

Immhotep

jasonrohrer wrote:

Curtains are interesting.  Someone else proposed something like that a while back.  Though... I'm wondering what kind of interesting designs could be possible with curtains.  For a dog to come out, it has to see you first somewhere else (because the curtain blocks the dog from seeing you).  So what is the value of hiding the fact that a dog is back there and about to come out?  Or hiding what else might be back there?  Why would you want to do that?  Castledraft example, please (use a horizontal and vert wires in place of curtains, maybe, to demonstrate).

If there's going to be curtain, there will be flashlights to light up the dark... and sometimes those which hides in the dark do not like the light... in that way perhaps a pit bull inside the dark might still be useful

Death is only the beginning...

#28 2014-03-03 16:14:02

DarkKat48

jasonrohrer wrote:

Curtains are interesting.  Someone else proposed something like that a while back.  Though... I'm wondering what kind of interesting designs could be possible with curtains.  For a dog to come out, it has to see you first somewhere else (because the curtain blocks the dog from seeing you).  So what is the value of hiding the fact that a dog is back there and about to come out?

Curtain's could be cheaper than doors but not obscure view, maybe revert the view past curtains to be two or three tiles where doors only allow a single view.  Sometimes misleading with line of sight could work in a variety of  different ways.
Also an idea I was thinking about was the inclusion of rugs and not for decorative purposes.  They could be placed over regular pitfalls and possibly even switches or over empty floors.  Would add another use for the brick as tossing it on a rug covered pitfall would of course trigger it or it would simply shatter upon the hard floor underneath the rug.  I could already see myself hesitating at a four/three way cross road of hallways with a rug sitting in the middle of it.

Last edited by DarkKat48 (2014-03-03 16:15:21)

Board footer