The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-01 11:51:19

Jabloko

Robbing a 40k house with 20k worth of tools

So what I'm doing is that I slowly convert my abundant, common (meat, water, saw) tools into things like ladders, torches, guns, explosives, while keeping under the 20k limit to avoid better equipped robbers (and draw the more common folks in).

If you had 20k worth of tools (counting resale price), what would you bring to a 40k house to rob?
Suppose it makes you commit after a few steps, so you can't really plan ahead. The house has no wife.

#2 2014-03-01 11:59:41

Blip

Re: Robbing a 40k house with 20k worth of tools

Lots of saws, wire cutters, and waters, and a few guns. At least five ladders, torches, and explosives. 1 crowbar, just in case of a door trap.

The logic there is that you have the ability to get through most wiring people have set up, which often leads straight to their vault. Once you follow the wiring close to the vault, you usually only need a couple ladders or explosives to get there. If you're unlucky, you might need a crowbar, which you brought just in case. Most of the other stuff is to keep you out of sticky situations and keep you alive.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#3 2014-03-01 16:51:41

Jabloko

This setup has no meat in it...are you sure that's safe?

I'd rather pack 25 meats than 1 crowbar if you know what I mean...

#4 2014-03-02 06:27:15

joshwithguitar

Blip wrote:

Lots of saws, wire cutters, and waters, and a few guns. At least five ladders, torches, and explosives. 1 crowbar, just in case of a door trap.

The logic there is that you have the ability to get through most wiring people have set up, which often leads straight to their vault. Once you follow the wiring close to the vault, you usually only need a couple ladders or explosives to get there. If you're unlucky, you might need a crowbar, which you brought just in case. Most of the other stuff is to keep you out of sticky situations and keep you alive.

I've robbed many $40k houses with much less than "five ladders, torches, explosives". It really depends on the house - do a good scouting run first to get an idea of what you are in for. Also I rarely bring more than 5 wire cutters, the only exception is if it is obvious that they have lots of electric floors. Also, as Jabloko says, dog meat are pretty much a must have in any house - guns are too expensive to be your only defence against dogs. Also, guns are not necessary for most houses unless you are intent on taking out the wife.

#5 2014-03-02 11:17:36

Blip

joshwithguitar wrote:
Blip wrote:

I've robbed many $40k houses with much less than "five ladders, torches, explosives". It really depends on the house - do a good scouting run first to get an idea of what you are in for. Also I rarely bring more than 5 wire cutters, the only exception is if it is obvious that they have lots of electric floors. Also, as Jabloko says, dog meat are pretty much a must have in any house - guns are too expensive to be your only defence against dogs. Also, guns are not necessary for most houses unless you are intent on taking out the wife.

This is only for a house where you haven't scouted, Jabloko made that pretty clear. Normally, I would avoid bringing that much stuff and instead slowly work my way through the house with minimum resources. Here, though, you have to plan for the worst, and be ready for a house with both a lot of trapdoors or a lot of electric floors. The problem with replacing guns with meat would be that it would require more of the other tools; what if you drugged a dog in a 1-wide concrete corridor that you had to get through? You would need three explosives to solve a problem solvable with one gun.

Of course, that's all my opinion on what to bring. i.e. if I had to rob a 40k house in one go, no scouting, no second attempts, that's what I would bring, and it would probably work, along with lots of other setups which would also work. Many people have different robbing strategies, and the one that my theoretical loadout follows is "prepare for the worst".

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

Board footer