The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-07 01:06:44

Shinnbob
Website

Obviously I Shouldn't Sleep!

Well lately I have been perfecting some 2k houses that can be built for under $2,000 whilst leaving some money in there to tempt in burglars to come in and steal from me.

Bit of a downside to this is when I go to sleep people seem to get attracted to my house like moths to a flame. For instance last night I left my $1500 magic dance setup alone and went to bed with only $500 in there. When I came back just now someone had robbed me with $4000+ worth of tools for $9077 by Ralph James Foster (thank you!). 8 people had died to my traps with varying bounties & amounts of tools.

This seems to be the way I lose houses now - the value going up before I have time to login and upgrade. Any good methods of stopping this happening? I had thought about making my house less lethal but if I do that people just scout around until eventually they find a weak point.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

#2 2014-03-07 01:27:43

StefanLindskog

Re: Obviously I Shouldn't Sleep!

Those first few robber deaths are crucial. You should monitor your house during those hours. I find that most robberies take place while I sleep - and I sleep 5 hours on average (01:30ish to 06:30ish am central european time). I've set the alarm for 3:30 in the night when my house is fresh to avoid what you're describing. I know it's extreme, but the alternative sucks.

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#3 2014-03-07 01:47:32

LiteS

StefanLindskog wrote:

I've set the alarm for 3:30 in the night when my house is fresh to avoid what you're describing. I know it's extreme, but the alternative sucks.

jasonrohrer wrote:

The game makes you paranoid, and it's a game ABOUT paranoia.

I would say surviving the night is one of the big hurdles in the game. If you keep at it you will soon be able to refine your starter house to do just that. Use your security tapes to see what kills people and what does not. Eliminate the traps that don't, and put in more of the traps that do. Getting from $500 to $9k takes quite a few robbers, maybe tonight there won't be as many. A starter house getting to 9k is pretty impressive, I'd say you're on the right track already.

Last edited by LiteS (2014-03-07 01:55:06)

#4 2014-03-07 01:49:57

Shinnbob
Website

I can totally appreciate waking up to check the house, I don't usually sleep much and therefore have time to check the house. Unfortunately last night I actually overslept and got a whole SIX HOURS of sleep (life of luxury).

Would take $100 to fix my house if that so will have to go & try robbing someone with no tools to fix this house - or maybe just rebuild it who knows.

#5 2014-03-07 01:52:06

StefanLindskog

LiteS wrote:
StefanLindskog wrote:

I've set the alarm for 3:30 in the night when my house is fresh to avoid what you're describing. I know it's extreme, but the alternative sucks.

jasonrohrer wrote:

The game makes you paranoid, and it's a game ABOUT paranoia.

I see what you did there. big_smile

#6 2014-03-07 09:52:05

Lord0fHam

LiteS wrote:

A starter house getting to 9k is pretty impressive, I'd say you're on the right track already.

My starter house this run got to 38k no robberies.

It's a trap!

#7 2014-03-07 10:37:42

JoyOfTrapping

StefanLindskog wrote:

I sleep 5 hours on average (01:30ish to 06:30ish am central european time). I've set the alarm for 3:30 in the night when my house is fresh to avoid what you're describing. I know it's extreme, but the alternative sucks.

Sorry to hijack momentarily, someone else can put us back on topic- but Stefan, how do you do it?  How do you sleep for 5 hours, and even wake up in the middle, do something on the computer, and get quickly and restfully back to sleep?  That is awesome man.  Do you just have responsibilities that require you to do so and it's unpleasant, or are you actually getting 5 hours and you feel refreshed and ok in the morning?  I do not have these powers.  Teach me your ways.

YT: www.youtube.com/user/JoyOfTrapping - The Bushido Code of Castle Doctrine:
Death  --> Observation --> Knowledge --> Power  --> Application --> Testing --> Skill
Seriousness --> Caution --> Deliberation --> Clearer Thinking --> More Success --> Less Frustration
Lack of Attachment to Results --> Lighthearted Play --> Respect for Enemies --> No Anger After Failures --> Faster Skill Building

#8 2014-03-07 10:43:01

TheRealCheese

On the sleep-thing: Your sleep cycle is almost entirely dependent on habit. If you teach your body that it's gonna get 5 hours because that's when your alarm rings, it'll be rough for a week or two, maybe more depending on how 'addicted' you are to your current sleep cycle, but then your body will learn to go into REM faster, which is the part of sleep you really need. If you are past your growing years, you don't need an actual 8 hours of sleep, you just need your body to learn that it can go directly to REM when you do go to sleep.

#9 2014-03-07 10:54:14

StefanLindskog

JoyOfTrapping wrote:

Teach me your ways.

What Cheese said AND I get one or two powernaps in during the day. My kids taught me how to not sleep, really.

#10 2014-03-07 11:35:03

JoyOfTrapping

Radical, thanks both of you for the info!

YT: www.youtube.com/user/JoyOfTrapping - The Bushido Code of Castle Doctrine:
Death  --> Observation --> Knowledge --> Power  --> Application --> Testing --> Skill
Seriousness --> Caution --> Deliberation --> Clearer Thinking --> More Success --> Less Frustration
Lack of Attachment to Results --> Lighthearted Play --> Respect for Enemies --> No Anger After Failures --> Faster Skill Building

#11 2014-03-07 12:00:39

RevealingGekco

Shinnbob wrote:

Any good methods of stopping this happening? I had thought about making my house less lethal but if I do that people just scout around until eventually they find a weak point.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

This can be effective - trapping robbers and force them to burn tools instead of insta-gibbing them.  I had a setup for this previously... the early house was wood with powered doors/pitbull dead ends... which robbers worked around with guns/saws.  This was more than a 2k setup though.

I also played around with making my house look scarier (so fewer people would chance it) and plunging my house value, neither of which were particularly effective against overnight spikes for me.

Board footer