The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-20 09:28:41

iceman
Website

Fortress Theory Mod - Version 3

Fortress Theory

Version 3

7 new house objects, 4 new tools (plus the return of an old one), 54 community-made paintings, and a bright future ahead of it!  I hope that all of you have as much fun playing with the new stuff as I did making it (more fun, preferably wink).

This mod is a standalone game, with its own server, so there's no danger of losing your progress in the main server!

How to start Playing
First, go to the registration page and enter an email.  You’ll receive a download code, which you can enter into the game you’re about to download.
Secondly, download the game through one of the following links.  Extract the files from the zip folder, and you should be good to go!
Windows Version
Mac Version

Source Files
Changelog here (and in the mod’s folder as well).

I've released a web-based "Neighborhood View", so you can check up on yourself and your neighbors to your heart's content!
Online Neighborhood View

Along with everyone who submitted a painting, a great shout-out to Blip, who did the art for several of the new objects (namely, the powered blinds, C.A.D., the cardboard box, and the adorable mouse).  If it weren’t for him, you probably wouldn’t be seeing this mod until next week or later, and it definitely wouldn’t look as nice!

Speaking of art, the offers in this thread still stand!  If you want to submit more paintings to be in the game, or you want to help out with some future object art (or current art you don’t like), just post a comment in that thread or send me an email!

If you have any comments on the game, whether something is bugging out, you can’t figure out how something works, or prices seem really off, just let me know by commenting on this thread.

Last edited by iceman (2014-04-23 13:36:45)

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#2 2014-03-20 09:29:41

iceman
Website

Re: Fortress Theory Mod - Version 3

Oh, and good luck robbing Ichabod wink

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#3 2014-03-20 09:35:14

shlam16

As someone who has never experimented with mods before, and is deep in the endgame of CD, will installing this cause me to lose my current game?

Edit: Btw, kudos! The changelog looks awesome, good luck with it all and I will give it a shot for sure.

Last edited by shlam16 (2014-03-20 09:35:50)

#4 2014-03-20 09:37:08

iceman
Website

It's actually pretty much a standalone game, with its own server.  Just register an account, download the game, and run it, and you'll be in a new neighborhood.  I'll add a note in the main post.

Last edited by iceman (2014-03-20 09:37:24)

#5 2014-03-20 09:38:23

Blip

I'm super excited! The new mouse art should be done by tomorrow; I just need to do the shade maps and destroyed sprites. Also, may I request a Mac/Linux version? I run CD on both, but don't have Windows except for an emulated *shudders* Vista, which is super slow and terrible.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#6 2014-03-20 09:53:04

Kimenzar

I have some weird SDL.dll error(missing). But this dll is installed^^

#7 2014-03-20 09:56:59

StefanLindskog

I will definately try this out tonight (CET).

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#8 2014-03-20 09:57:04

iceman
Website

Blip wrote:

Vista

*shudders commiseratingly*

Thanks for the update on the mouse art!  I'll probably put it, along with some other graphical improvements (which I now remember that I forgot to do;)) in an update sometime after I get back.

As for the Linux/Mac versions, it turned out that it wasn't at easy as I thought.  I'll have to be on the OS I'm compiling the game for, but I don't have access to either one.  If I sent you the source code, would you be able to compile it and send it back to me, so that I could share it with everyone?

#9 2014-03-20 10:01:07

iceman
Website

Kimenzar wrote:

I have some weird SDL.dll error(missing). But this dll is installed^^

Hmmmmmmm... do you know if you're running 64 or 32 bit Windows?  If you don't know how to check, go to the start menu, right click on Computer, go to Properties.  Beside System Type, it should say either 64 or 32 bit.  I'm wondering if I set something up wrong, and you're on a 32 bit machine instead of 64 bit (which I'm on).

#10 2014-03-20 10:04:21

Kimenzar

Windows 7 64 Bit OS, I check now some pathinformation, maybe there is some mistake.

Edit : Ok I just copied it from the original castle doctrin to the mod and it seems to work.

Last edited by Kimenzar (2014-03-20 10:09:14)

#11 2014-03-20 10:19:44

iceman
Website

Kimenzar wrote:

Windows 7 64 Bit OS, I check now some pathinformation, maybe there is some mistake.

Edit : Ok I just copied it from the original castle doctrin to the mod and it seems to work.

Ok, I noticed that there were more houses than other new players, so I was about to ask if you got it working.  Glad to hear you got it working!

Also, I just remembered that I forgot to turn back on chills and turn off the 5 minute delay before houses appear, so I'll add those now (server side, so you don't have to download anything else).  There's 3 new houses right now, you just can't see anyone else yet =P

EDIT: Come to think of it, I might leave chills off for the next few days instead, so that you guys aren't punished for playing around the deadly new toys.
EDIT2: And apparently I've already turned off the 5 minute delay.  I guess everyone's just still in build/self-test.

Last edited by iceman (2014-03-20 10:24:13)

#12 2014-03-20 10:25:05

Kimenzar

I would just adjust chills to 5-10 minutes, so there is still a little punishment big_smile

Seems pretty interesting so far.

#13 2014-03-20 10:31:59

iceman
Website

I just had someone take 20 drugged meats into Ichabod's house.  I'm just a bit happier now big_smile (they died)

Yeah, I think 5 minute chills would be a good idea.  I'll put that in now.

#14 2014-03-20 10:33:46

Kimenzar

Is that doghouse solvable or am i just blind? xD

#15 2014-03-20 10:36:42

iceman
Website

Kimenzar wrote:

Were you the one that just took a bunch of clubs and a pistol? =P
Well, it was solvable... when I let myself walk through walls wink I figured it would be a nice "Boss house" for top players to try to beat wink I might give it a painting, so that you can show everyone that you were the one to rob it... hmmm...

Last edited by iceman (2014-03-20 10:37:49)

#16 2014-03-20 10:38:05

Kimenzar

iceman wrote:
Kimenzar wrote:

Were you the one that just took a bunch of clubs and a pistol? =P
Well, it was solvable... when I let myself walk through walls wink I figured it would be a nice "Boss house" for top players to try to beat wink I might give it a painting, so that you can show everyone that you were the one to rob it... hmmm...

Cheater tongue

#17 2014-03-20 10:39:49

TheRealCheese

Make a 52nd painting for it then!
Edit: Make it look like a medal or a trophy!

Last edited by TheRealCheese (2014-03-20 10:40:06)

#18 2014-03-20 10:45:20

Archonn

Lol, i just tried to run your mod and i dont even have the castle doctrine installed XD

Edit: I got the SDL.DLL error too, so i copied it from the Castle Doctrine folder like the other person did, and it seems to work.

Last edited by Archonn (2014-03-20 10:47:17)

#19 2014-03-20 10:46:40

iceman
Website

Kimenzar wrote:

Cheater tongue

Hey, I can put you 10k into debt for that wink

TheRealCheese wrote:

Make a 52nd painting for it then!
Edit: Make it look like a medal or a trophy!

We already have a crown, called "It's good to be king", and it's the most likely candidate.  I'm also tempted to put in Time, which I have high hopes for (anyone read XKCD?)

Archonn wrote:

Lol, i just tried to run your mod and i dont even have the castle doctrine installed XD

Edit: I got the SDL.DLL error too, so i copied it from the Castle Doctrine folder like the other person did, and it seems to work.

Glad you could join us, Matthew Robert Thompson (at least until you die wink ) EDIT: Now you're Stephen Thomas Blizzard

I also just realized why some people are getting that error, while others aren't.  I didn't include it in the game folder, but if you had SDL installed from another game, it would just use that.  I'll be sure to put it in the folder for the next update!

Last edited by iceman (2014-03-31 13:36:11)

#20 2014-03-20 10:57:09

Archonn

Yeah. I was trying out the robot man.

I can't work out how the smoke and poison gas work, but i feel like i can do all kinds of crazy traps with the family warning lights smile

#21 2014-03-20 11:04:18

gyuri

Cool stuff, I like the paintings and the new objects/tools very much!

I had the same dll trouble someone mentioned, I even downloaded it from dll-files.com but it still didn't work. Then I copied it from the original CD folder right into the FT folder, that worked.

There seems to be some problem if it is in the Windows/System32 directory, so if you get the error message, be sure it's in the game directory as well.

#22 2014-03-20 11:10:21

iceman
Website

Archonn wrote:

Yeah. I was trying out the robot man.

I can't work out how the smoke and poison gas work, but i feel like i can do all kinds of crazy traps with the family warning lights smile

I was about to mention that I noticed someone using those!  I think you're the first to make an actual house!

The smoke and poison gas look identical in every way when robbing - just one is deadly when you're beside it and the other isn't.  They also act slightly different - the smoke generator goes straight from closed to smoky when it's powered from any direction, while the poison gas has to receive power from the left or right to open the barrel, and then power from up or down to turn on the poison gas.  The poison gas also can only turn on 1 turn after you see it - I had to do that to make it balanced, so you can't put powered poison gas behind a door, and have you die immediately when you open it.

The whole duo is supposed to bring in some psychological games.  The poison gas is extremely useful, but has a lot of restrictions - power from 2 directions, only turns on the turn after you see it, more expensive.  The smoke generator can prevent people from going down hallway by making them think it's deadly.  They can just shoot it to disable it or test the walls around it to see if it's powered from the right places or not, though.

As for your trap, I just got past it because of the 1 turn to activate thing.  If you want a suggestion (I know it's not a serious map =P), here's something that wouldn't give me any hints as to which is the real poison gas:
http://castledraft.com/editor/46L1CO
(Pretend the lights are gas, and the dog is a C.A.D.)  Both turn on at the same time, so even if you walk back you can't guess which is the deadly one.

On a side note, I just realized castledraft just lost a lot of its usefulness for this mod XD

Ok, I really have to go now.  I'm really, really glad everything seems to be going smoothly!  I'm just going to have Ichabod buy Time, and then I'm out of here.  Have fun, everyone!

Last edited by iceman (2014-03-20 11:11:58)

#23 2014-03-20 11:20:16

iceman
Website

Well, this is embarrassing.... Ichabod just died in his self test XD
Replacement coming up in 3, 2, 1...

Last edited by iceman (2014-03-20 11:20:38)

#24 2014-03-20 11:23:46

Archonn

You're talking about the other guys house there, not mine

#25 2014-03-20 11:31:23

Frosty

I'd love to test the mod but I am on Mac OSX. Could you upload a Mac build? smile

Board footer