The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#126 2014-03-25 12:31:36

iceman
Website

Re: Fortress Theory Mod - Version 3

Kimenzar, I've given you a nice 30k present for the next time you log on (as well as reviving your family).  I checked your house map, and just a bit less than what you were worth before (remember, everything's half price).  Put it to good use wink

Blip wrote:

I just bought Time!

And I just robbed Jason! (As did Gyuri)

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#127 2014-03-25 12:59:28

StefanLindskog

iceman wrote:

EDIT: Also, what do you guys think of me announcing it on steam?  I'm sure it will bring a few more people in, but I've hesitated this long because I feel like the Steam community is more likely to abuse things than this one is.

This would do it for me. More players would mean more anonymity and fewer grief robberies.

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#128 2014-03-25 13:40:00

Blip

If you just gave my place another shot Gyuri, I have to tell you that you should have known better. After you got so close to my vault before, why would I not add another layer of security there?

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#129 2014-03-25 13:50:09

gyuri

Yes that was me. It could be so easy if that door wasn't there... I could place a wire bundle there and power the pit and the powered door.

Besides, you killed my wife. Twice.

#130 2014-03-25 14:01:53

Blip

gyuri wrote:

Yes that was me. It could be so easy if that door wasn't there... I could place a wire bundle there and power the pit and the powered door.

Besides, you killed my wife. Twice.

Yeah, that door placement was intentional for the exact purpose of stopping you and your nefarious ways. It was definitely not just placed there for no real reason. It was a very tactical and... um... strategic placement! Believe me, I'm smart, not just incredibly lucky.

And your wife deserved it. She said mean things about me!

I'm beginning to realize how ridiculous it's been that by house had stood for so long when the main protection it has is a 4-bit lock. I mean, it should only take seven lives max to brute force, and I'm not changing it very often... as a matter of fact, I think that people have reached my lock more than seven times already.

Last edited by Blip (2014-03-25 14:13:22)

#131 2014-03-25 14:39:35

gyuri

I don't even try bitlocks. Well OK I try but I don't write down what I tried before. And well, I made it without solving your bitlock. And now I have to go and don't have the time to build anything. I think I'll just have a quick go at Iceman's house.

#132 2014-03-25 14:46:30

gyuri

Hmm, you can't torch rusted CADs. Definitely not cool (not that it would have mattered much).

#133 2014-03-25 14:58:14

Blip

Congrats to Gyuri for taking me down! I'm surprised that my house did so well; I built it pretty poorly and with nearly no forethought. Now that it's broken, and I really don't know a good way to fix the many things wrong with it, I'm just suiciding (despite still having $4500 from my wife!). So, here you guys go: the first "fallen house" of Fortress Theory!

yGVyDeR.png

Most of the design is devoted to a large (probably too large) commit gate featuring two CADs and three doggie commit gates. It's very hard to get through without committing properly, and attempting to do so in any improper fashion, like using the wife-protection dog instead of the CAD, just gets you killed. The gas maze was pretty useless, because the robber can just mouse over them before they turn on to know which is which (get on that fix, iceman!). The bit lock was decently secure, along with the final door trap. Gyuri eventually robbed me by cutting down from above the final trapdoor, so that the cat didn't see him, and using a ladder.

I'll probably work on something more clever and better functioning soon.

#134 2014-03-25 14:59:33

Kimenzar

iceman wrote:

Kimenzar, I've given you a nice 30k present for the next time you log on (as well as reviving your family).  I checked your house map, and just a bit less than what you were worth before (remember, everything's half price).  Put it to good use wink

Blip wrote:

I just bought Time!

And I just robbed Jason! (As did Gyuri)

Thanks smile

I built up a new house. I had a idea, but it was too big and too easy to exploit =/ will think of another trap but for now this house should be enough.

#135 2014-03-25 15:16:36

iceman
Website

I had that same idea about that door - placing wires on an open door is definitely going to be allowed one day.  As for torching rusting CADs, I'll add that to the next update - I can't believe I forgot that.

Gyuri, if you tried to melt a CAD at my house.. that wasn't my house.  No-one's brought a torch into my house yet (I'm Benjamin Van Edward, an awesome name if I do say so myself)

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#136 2014-03-25 15:41:15

iceman
Website

To whoever Ginder is: It's on, now wink

EDIT: Never mind sad
Note to self- if you upgrade your house to better protect your vault, be sure to actually put your vault behind all of the new defenses.

EDIT2: Wow!  I can't believe that actually worked!  Sure, I got 6k less than I thought I would, since you made everything concrete, but I successfully robbed you!!!! MUAHUAHUAHAHA!!!

Last edited by iceman (2014-03-25 16:21:44)

#137 2014-03-25 16:23:00

GotABigTrap

haaha nice work!!  definitely the combo lock flawa that allowed you to return to it was a problem. 

Let me ask you, when you robbed, why the heck was the door not open immediately?  Something weird going on there.

Shit I ended up dying when I did the self test due to being in a hurry.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2014-03-25 16:29:18)

#138 2014-03-25 16:29:03

gyuri

Blip wrote:

The gas maze was pretty useless

I was also useless because you didn't change anything in there except for the direction the robber had to go through, so I just remembered the solution from my former visits. But you're right, the bug gives it away.

Iceman, you're right, I thought you were Ginder. That house shows that the CADs are way overpowered right now, because you don't have the chance to kill them if you don't stand right next to them, and with a clever spacing that's kind of impossible. If you can't cut the power, you're basically chanceless.

#139 2014-03-25 16:52:06

GotABigTrap

I think I was ginder.  My biggest worry was that I don't yet understand the mechanics of CADS.  as far as I could tell, a crowbar, lots of water and saws would have done it.

#140 2014-03-25 16:52:32

iceman
Website

GotABigTrap wrote:

haaha nice work!!  definitely the combo lock flawa that allowed you to return to it was a problem. 

Let me ask you, when you robbed, why the heck was the door not open immediately?  Something weird going on there.

Shit I ended up dying when I did the self test due to being in a hurry.

Ha, I was wondering where you disappeared to wink  The dog still had to go up to press all the buttons again to power the electric grates, is that what you're talking about?  Also, one thing you could've done to make it impossible to do what I did would be to add a pit at the top of the dog's magic dance hallway.  That way, when you go up to get the dog to press the buttons, he'll fall into the pit.

gyuri wrote:

Iceman, you're right, I thought you were Ginder. That house shows that the CADs are way overpowered right now, because you don't have the chance to kill them if you don't stand right next to them, and with a clever spacing that's kind of impossible. If you can't cut the power, you're basically chanceless.

Yeah, I see how that giant room makes them a bit OP.  I always assumed they'd be used in a tight, narrow corrider, where you could always cut the power with a few saws and wirecutters.  I've been playing around with a new tool idea for a while, that I can adapt to help balance the CADs (and gas).  Hopefully, it will make it into v3.

#141 2014-03-25 17:44:11

GotABigTrap

That's the thing iceman.  You don't need the dog to go UP to hit the buttons because the combo lock was a paradox circuit.  But I bet what happened was you had all buttons OFF and pulled the dog up to turn at least one of them on, which would open the vault room. 

Would work work best would be to just force you to destroy the electric floor to return.

#142 2014-03-25 18:39:21

iceman
Website

Ah, right.  I probably turned all of the buttons off out of habit.

EDIT: Next of many notes to self- If you bring a doorstop, remember to actually use it *before* the door closed *facepalm*

EDIT2: Same house, new note: Learn to count steps correctly X(

Last edited by iceman (2014-03-25 20:46:48)

#143 2014-03-25 20:02:21

Storm

what... in.. the hell... happened... in my house... today.

I came back today after throwing together a quick half-house this morning trying out all the cool new stuff and there were Five pages of new surveillance videos that altogether went like this:

my house hit $2831 then someone robbed me.
my house hit $3402 then someone robbed me.
my house hit $1650 then someone robbed me.
my house hit $1500 then someone robbed me.
my house hit $3500 then someone robbed me.
my house hit $1500 then someone robbed me.
and left me finally back at $0 again... hahaha

lol. fun mod so far, like all the creative new stuff. plus the community paintings are sick, great jobs a lot of those are badass

Last edited by Storm (2014-03-25 20:03:16)

#144 2014-03-26 00:56:17

gyuri

Someone just used your house to dump tools in it.

#145 2014-03-26 10:11:46

iceman
Website

Ok, I've finally gotten the Mac version uploaded!  Sorry it took so long- I had some unexpected trouble when I tried to build it.  Frosty once again saved the day by building it for me wink

You can download it here:
FortressTheory_v2_Mac

Now that I have both versions up, it's time to announce the mod on Steam... we'll see how this goes tongue

#146 2014-03-26 10:19:15

Blip

iceman wrote:

Now that I have both versions up

No Linux?

#147 2014-03-26 10:33:36

iceman
Website

Baby steps wink
I'll see if I can compile a Linux version on Mac- otherwise, I'm not sure how how I can build it.  There's almost definitely not going to be one for v2, though.

#148 2014-03-26 10:50:10

Blip

Build a Linux version on Linux! It's free and wonderful!

#149 2014-03-26 11:18:35

poor

Why not post the source? I'm sure there'll be at least one Linux user capable of compiling it.

"Safety" is relative
Current life: None; I'm quite dead.

#150 2014-03-26 11:32:07

Kimenzar

Ahh my trap is pretty hilarious big_smile Nothing Fortress related but still my house in it.

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3573 … m8_gif.htm

Board footer