The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#201 2014-03-30 13:11:24

42dustman

Re: Fortress Theory Mod - Version 3

I did it! And your painting comes around again. big_smile

I just brought my best house yet from TCD to FT, the money I got was not enough to finish it, but give it time.

Last edited by 42dustman (2014-03-30 13:28:15)

Self-testing is torture.

#202 2014-03-30 13:48:35

gyuri

Nice one, but next time get the chihuahua instead of a ladder. And it was really funny how you figured out everything else but the third mouse.

#203 2014-03-30 19:46:16

iceman
Website

Ha, I love how one person's house was just smoke and mirrors!  Whoever's house that was, I was pretty surprised when I turned the corner and realized there was nothing else =P  Fun robbery, though - I enjoyed thinking up that fairly scary solution wink

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#204 2014-03-31 13:02:38

Blip

I just realized this... the painting Time is changing! There's a guy in it now!

Iceman, will you be changing it every version? I'm exited to see what comes next.

Last edited by Blip (2014-03-31 13:02:48)

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#205 2014-03-31 13:39:16

iceman
Website

Blip wrote:

I just realized this... the painting Time is changing! There's a guy in it now!

Iceman, will you be changing it every version? I'm exited to see what comes next.

No comment

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#206 2014-04-01 11:18:45

DaVinci243

iceman wrote:
DaVinci243 wrote:

Will it be open-source by any means?

DaVinci, you're back!  And with a different forum account, apparently.  I don't really want to release the source code publicly, since it leaves the door wide open to cheaters.  However, I'm probably going to be a bit more likely than Jason to switch the game, so if you have any suggestions, let me know, and I might add them.
EDIT: Oh, that's right, you play on Linux, right?  I'm working on getting access to Ubuntu (don't want to install it on my computer), and I hope I can compile the game next week.  Would that be the right version for you?

Speaking of, I remember you mentioning that you had a simple way to save your maps a while back.  Would you be willing to point me in the right direction for that?  It would save me a lot of time, and it's a feature I really want to include in Fortress Theory.  I'm hoping it will encourage high-profile robbing a bit, since you can get your exact house back almost instantly (as long as you get the funds from somewhere wink).

Oh, yeah I'm back. with another account.

By saving map, are you mentioning the feature where when I die I load my house w/e building it even?

I'm playing on Windows, but I hope you can get the source code released. The access to secret key is pretty easy ( I think. ) but since I can't access it's source, that's sad for me & my ultimate haxory wizardry.

noob programmer haking on open-source game.

#207 2014-04-01 16:26:46

gyuri

Dear Mr. Smith, thank you for 15 funny tapes and $4000 bounty (and $500 half an hour later). You are getting close.

#208 2014-04-01 18:21:56

GotABigTrap

haha what happened to the money?  I found the vault and was planning on coming back with a ladder!   Yeah I totally was sick of having a good house sitting there doing nothing so I decided to go raiding houses.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2014-04-01 18:23:39)

#209 2014-04-01 21:15:12

iceman
Website

DaVinci243 wrote:

By saving map, are you mentioning the feature where when I die I load my house w/e building it even?

Yeah, I'm hoping to include a similar feature in FT.

DaVinci243 wrote:

I'm playing on Windows, but I hope you can get the source code released. The access to secret key is pretty easy ( I think. ) but since I can't access it's source, that's sad for me & my ultimate haxory wizardry.

I changed the secret key, so no-one can use CD to generate fake object properties.  Like I said before, if there's a feature that you want (that doesn't give a gameplay advantage wink), let me know, and I'll think about adding it to the game.

EDIT: Lol, I just watched my tapes.  Richard Monty White, I can't believe how much you spent on my house.  That was what, 7 crowbars?

Last edited by iceman (2014-04-01 21:18:19)

#210 2014-04-01 21:33:58

GotABigTrap

which is yours iceman?  That explains where all his money went.  I was so close to nabbing his vault before he spent it but I was too late.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2014-04-01 21:34:43)

#211 2014-04-01 21:47:09

iceman
Website

Wolf- I had 17k, going to drop down about 9k now wink Don't tell anyone, but he actually could've made it twice, but both times he seemed to be afraid of commits, so he backed out.  Got it nice and secure now wink  Just have to go through the self-test... here's hoping I don't waste it all again tongue

EDIT: Made it, with 9.3k left in the bank.

Last edited by iceman (2014-04-01 22:20:54)

#212 2014-04-02 00:58:35

gyuri

Yeah I was getting bored too with all that money, but didn't want to risk my life... I was quite sure I was very close, but then again... I'm just a chicken.

It was quite funny being on the top since last Friday, regarding the location of my vault ;-)

#213 2014-04-02 06:58:04

42dustman

Hey Gyuri. My house is ready now, feel free to spend all of your money on it next time. big_smile

Self-testing is torture.

#214 2014-04-02 07:00:56

gyuri

I think it's a trap!

#215 2014-04-02 07:51:27

DaVinci243

iceman wrote:
DaVinci243 wrote:

Yeah, I'm hoping to include a similar feature in FT.

DaVinci243 wrote:

I changed the secret key, so no-one can use CD to generate fake object properties.  Like I said before, if there's a feature that you want (that doesn't give a gameplay advantage wink), let me know, and I'll think about adding it to the game.

EDIT: Lol, I just watched my tapes.  Richard Monty White, I can't believe how much you spent on my house.  That was what, 7 crowbars?

Secret key can be read I think.

quoting from HowToConnectToMainServer.txt

"anyone hacking with a hex editor will encounter it and read it."

http://gyazo.com/073da19146358ac564aab9731ee91d62

#216 2014-04-02 09:55:50

iceman
Website

Oooooh, thanks for letting me know about that.  Apparently you can do the same thing with the property signature keys also... next update, I'll have something to discourage people from doing that.

We seem to be down to 10 paintings in the auction... does anyone want to rob my house, to release yours into the auction? wink

Last edited by iceman (2014-04-02 09:57:11)

#217 2014-04-02 10:47:53

DaVinci243

iceman, it would be great if you'd put that auto-house thing in it. -- I'll just post how to do it so everybody knows.

Last edited by DaVinci243 (2014-04-02 10:49:15)

#218 2014-04-02 11:29:08

Blip

DaVinci243 wrote:

iceman, it would be great if you'd put that auto-house thing in it. -- I'll just post how to do it so everybody knows.

Would there be a clean server-side way to do this, or do all the clients have to be modified?

Because I can't think of any good server side ways off the top of my head, but my gut feeling says there is one.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#219 2014-04-02 12:01:00

iceman
Website

Thanks DaVinci!

Blip wrote:
DaVinci243 wrote:

Would there be a clean server-side way to do this, or do all the clients have to be modified?

Because I can't think of any good server side ways off the top of my head, but my gut feeling says there is one.

I'm wanting to have the client save a map on the server, and then just have a "Load" and "Save" button.  So, both a client and a server change, but users won't have to make a file with their map on it.  That said, it's going to require some UI changes and server changes, and I haven't looked into either one yet, so it's definitely not going to make it into v3.

#220 2014-04-02 16:42:49

iceman
Website

Wow.... who's Grimsley, and how did you get 36k?

#221 2014-04-02 21:05:05

iceman
Website

iceman wrote:

We seem to be down to 10 paintings in the auction... does anyone want to rob my house, to release yours into the auction? wink

Aaaaaaand I just followed my own advice, killing myself in my house!  (And I had just gotten my favorite Portal themed set sad) Apparently I had basically half of the paintings in the game- 24, to be exact.

Well, I'm through with that house design.  Although it did much better than I thought it would, it was really a mess of spaghetti wires, since kind of evolved over time.  Without furtho ado, (except for a tiny bit), here's the house of:

Herman Kenneth Wolf

Here's what the house looked like when White robbed me: (as usual for me, the bloody dog is a CAD, and the bloody cat is a mouse)
http://castledraft.com/editor/MEovBw
There's several things that I liked about this house (some of which I didn't expect when I first built it).  The first is that it took people a while to figure out how to get past the commit gate.  They kept on trying to take a CAD, but never took him high enough on the button hallway to get his spacing to be right for the "commit gate".

The second thing I loved was the "commit gate" itself- if you crossed with the CAD instead of a dog or ladder, the mouse would cut off power to the whole thing the step you would fry yourself going back.  I think that's what confused people the most- there was stuff in each hallway, but it *seemed* like they were all disconnected.  I really, really wanted to have someone try to commit suicide on the EF, and suddenly live, but I didn't live long enough myself to see that sad

The 2 split hallways below the commit gate were a little puzzle I thought of, where you had to do a little dance with the CAD to prep the second commit gate, then get him to follow you again.  The last person to rob me was actually successful in discovering my intended solution- unfortunately for him, I never actually tested it, so it didn't really work wink

Like I said, White actually could've reached the safe twice.  One time he used a ladder and pressed the magic button, saw that the powered door to the far right was open, but left anyways.  The other time, he took 3, then 4 crowbars- luckily, he used the fourth on one of the 3 powered doors by the last commit gate, instead of risking crossing it.

After he almost made it, I decided to do a bit of remodeling.  I, uh, increased the cost of brute forcing where the safe used to be just slightly.  (Although looking at it now, I actually messed up- cutting the wired walls lets you pass all (well, most) of the trapdoors later, instead of opening them.)  More importantly, though, I did what I like doing best- hiding the vault in the easiest place to brute force to, but the least likely to be brute forced to.  To get there, the solution is the same, but you only go far enough into the "Hallway of Powered Doors" to unpress the button.  That turns the power *back* on to the commit gate, letting you pass it a second time!

A similar upgrade is actually what killed me the first time.  I made the switch at the very bottom middle an inverted one instead, so when I showed up at the powered door... it was shut in my face sad

Anyways, here's the upgrade that killed me:
http://castledraft.com/editor/GeCtnv

The most important addition is that little surprise kitty, obviously wink  I'll let you figure out what I messed up.

Now, enjoy those fresh paintings wink

Last edited by iceman (2014-04-02 21:06:38)

#222 2014-04-02 23:13:31

GotABigTrap

hhaha your vault was really there?  God I kept going straight down and fiddling with the bottom hallway area.  I really thought the vault was behind the powered door to the bottom left.

I kept going back with ladder/brick but you are telling me I could have easily done it with 1 wirecutter?! nevermind I see that wouldn't work.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2014-04-02 23:23:21)

#223 2014-04-03 01:13:17

gyuri

Iceman, that's a very cool house. If I'm not mistaken, I've robbed it once in the very beginning, but then I just watched it evolve and had no idea.

I'm still not getting every detail, do you have a gif oder a video of the solution?

I like the cheap wooden character of it, of course it's also to provide power for the CAD, and it's only fortified in the right places to prevent brute forcing. Nice and confusing.

#224 2014-04-03 06:19:39

42dustman

iceman wrote:

Anyways, here's the upgrade that killed me:
http://castledraft.com/editor/GeCtnv
Now, enjoy those fresh paintings wink

Wow! 80% of your house is just decoys... Nice.

Self-testing is torture.

#225 2014-04-03 10:06:32

Kimenzar

Now I am again on the Top ^.^

and i made a horrible mistake to come back, nice change!

Last edited by Kimenzar (2014-04-03 13:50:56)

Board footer