The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-09 12:34:43

setz
Website

"Huge Square-Room-Outline of Electric Floors"

I believe this is officially the new Bit Lock alternative. I have tried for the last couple hours to solve it and cant figure it. I can see a bit past the walls on the bottom but with the Wall/Elec Floor/Wall its really hard to totally see whats on the opposite side. The top is completely impossible to see because of the limited range of seeing that the top side of the map has. I am assuming it is the same as the bottom but who knows. I know that each direction essentially has a Chihuahua that triggers something when you step on the huge outline of Electric Floors and there must be some magical 35 step process to making the right Step of Fate onto the Electric Floors at the last minute.  This trap is in about 5-6 of the top 20 houses right now. and most seem to have the same Chihuaha part at the bottom. Not sure if it is just a decoy because I have made it so all the switches are off and it still kills me. Any ideas? Anyone solved this trap?

SWUARE_zps62143ac8.jpg

SQUARE_zpsa5a10060.jpg

#2 2013-05-09 20:15:59

realitysconcierge

Re: "Huge Square-Room-Outline of Electric Floors"

If it isn't a decoy, it probably leads to an inverted voltage switch, which would cut the circuit to the electric floors. Off topic- I love screenshots from this game when someone is robbing a house.

#3 2013-05-10 01:26:28

DrNoid

With bit-locks you can usually assume that any dog-activated switch you can see is a decoy.

#4 2013-05-10 07:05:57

dalleck

Well I have combined the electric floor trap with the bit-lock, the magic dance and the dog-door to come up with this:

myhouseg.jpg
(notice the bum farting on Jason? the bum has 'wind' (the air balloon). hilarious.)

It DOES have working chihuahuas and these are the switches which solve the puzzle.  There is a hidden cat there somewhere and a pair of dogs that roam around to hit the switch which kills the dog blocking the door.

The great thing is, if you want to walk over to see if in fact your combination has worked it is certain death.

I know it is essentially the same as an electric floor trap, but it is much more fun!  Plus, the player does actually get to attempt to break the house rather than simply run across a death trap and pray for dear life.

-----

Oh, and here is the results of my testing with dogs and doors.  It seems that dogs moving from the south square move first, because a chihuahua ain't gonna protect you from that guy.

chihuahatestsequence.jpg

Last edited by dalleck (2013-05-10 07:43:46)

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#5 2013-05-10 07:34:35

setz
Website

DALLECK! Unless someone else has that same intro design I was trying your house for like an hour straight yesterday too, I couldnt figure how to get past that dog through the triple doors!

#6 2013-05-10 07:38:47

dalleck

setz:  The solution is very simple, as are all great magicians tricks, but it does rely on knowledge of the level layout.  It is NOT a combination lock.  My hope is that the house is still reasonably challenging to figure out even with the map revealed, so maybe it is a little future-proof.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#7 2013-05-10 21:23:10

realitysconcierge

dalleck wrote:

setz:  The solution is very simple, as are all great magicians tricks, but it does rely on knowledge of the level layout.  It is NOT a combination lock.  My hope is that the house is still reasonably challenging to figure out even with the map revealed, so maybe it is a little future-proof.

Sir dalleck, are you using a timer with your combination? Where you have to press certain buttons within a certain time frame?

#8 2013-05-10 21:29:06

dalleck

realitysconcierge wrote:
dalleck wrote:

Sir dalleck, are you using a timer with your combination? Where you have to press certain buttons within a certain time frame?

I will not comment on rumour or speculation.

But let me just say that there ARE animals moving around out there and the solution is the buttons hit by chihuahuas visible to the player behind the pit bull at the doors.

That is all.

#9 2013-05-11 03:10:26

realitysconcierge

dalleck wrote:
realitysconcierge wrote:
dalleck wrote:

I will not comment on rumour or speculation.

But let me just say that there ARE animals moving around out there and the solution is the buttons hit by chihuahuas visible to the player behind the pit bull at the doors.

That is all.

You are quite a sly one lol

#10 2013-05-11 06:19:26

dalleck

On the topic of the big electric floor layout, Lance Ronald Maynard's house is the richest house with such a layout.  There is a maze inside with the requisite assortment of switches and whatnot, but the surrounds are this basic electric floor.  It is 2 dogs tripping a series of switches (in this case 20 switches at the top and 16 at the right) which trigger inverted voltage switches to allow you to cross the electric floor.  The trick with Maynard's is that you need to also move around the maze and trigger trapdoors to get to the crossing of the electric floor, making the job of getting the correct series of switches hit difficult.  I imagine he has a hard time testing his trap lol.

The other top tier house with this same dog-hitting-a-series-of-switches theme is Gene Walter Warren, but in his case he has 17 switches to hit, and a safety buffer at the final electric floor tile.  However, in his house you can just travel in a straight line making it much more straight forward.

Both of these mazes will be pretty flimsy with the map available.  My house is probably the same I am afraid.  In fact, I am not sure there will be many house layouts, short of an absolute monstrosity, which will keep their secrets hidden long once the map is available.  This is why I have suggested a more piecemeal method for uncovering houses layout with the 'case' option.  I think this would be more rewarding to the player as well.

It is very easy to see house layouts through the client output files, but perhaps Jason doesn't feel that it needs fixing if maps are freely available in-game.

Last edited by dalleck (2013-05-11 06:40:08)

#11 2013-05-12 06:38:06

Simoon

Glad to learn that my name is «Lance Ronald Maynard » smile

Testing my house is not so hard : The two series of switches are just a kind of recorder.

@dalleck : I think you took the first place now.
I love your house with the cats and the dogs walking everywhere smile

Theses two design could be combined to get a real challenge even with the maps. The walking pets stuff could be more compact in order to build a decent “recorded” maze.

Board footer