The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-03 15:35:11

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Version 8 Released

Version 8 of The Castle Doctrine was released today.  It adds a few minor improvements, like an "Un-Ignore All" button to reset your house-ignore list, and pencil scratch marks in blueprints to indicate objects that have been damaged.

But the biggest change is server support for perma-permadeath.  As in, alternate-world servers where each user can only die once.  I'm guessing that people will play the game differently on such a server, but I'm not quite sure how behavior will change.

I've set up a temporary perma-permadeath server to test this.  As soon as you connect to this server, you will be given a single life and $6000.  All other rules are the same.  Note that this server operates a completely separate game world, including a separate set of paintings and a separate list of houses.  Whatever happens on this server stays on this server, and it has no effect on the main server.

If you want to give it a try, here's how:

1. Make a full copy of your v8 game folder to a different location.

2. In the copied game folder, use Notepad (or TextEdit on Mac) to open settings/reflectorURL.ini

3. Change the url in that file to http://thecastledoctrine.net/reflectorPerma/server.php (just add Perma after the word "reflector")

4. Save the file.

5. Launch the game from the copied folder.

At that point, you should see a brand new, empty house, and find yourself operating in a separate game world.

And as soon as you die, your time in that separate game world will be over, permanently.

#2 2013-06-07 08:26:33

setz
Website

Re: Version 8 Released

Oh man. I LOVE this idea. I bet people will play the game much differently. Maybe not at first, but eventually having long term worlds like this would be neat.

#3 2013-06-14 17:44:13

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Version 8 Released

The perma-permadeath server has been taken down for a bit while I focus on the version 9 release.  It will be coming back at some point in the future.

Board footer