The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-05 06:03:58

castledoc

You sick, sick people....

My new brothers and sisters,

I know, I've just started the game and come in here tossing my opinions around like I know something but you sick, sick people.  Five trapdoors left or right with a pit bull standing on a switch inside the door?  Oh my.  And Earl.  Oh my god, Earl!  Does that design really pass the self-test?  HOW?

Do all of you know what I enjoy so much about this game?  It's designing the puzzle while trying to solve yours.  And watching as you try to solve mine (succeeding more often than not, but my day will come)! 

So far, my traps are pretty simplistic (2K limited and new), but I'm learning as you guys shock the crap out of me, drop me in bottomless pits, and have your wives shoot me in the face. 

Thank you all for the thought-provoking fun.

#2 2014-08-05 06:15:43

castledoc

Re: You sick, sick people....

Police are investigating a mysterious suicide after Thomas Jordan Brody robbed an unknown subject for $2,911 dollars. 

Neighbors said the man was new in the neighborhood and distraught after someone had killed his wife the previous day. He left a note behind that said "It's amazing, I never imagined a bottled water vendor would attack the house..."

He's survived by two urchins named Troy and Lindsay who can be found living under a bridge....

Good show, TJB, I hadn't considered the water brute force solution....

#3 2014-08-05 09:10:21

voxel

It seems to me that the traps you can create with $2000 aren't any less complicated than when using more expensive components (with the exception of powered doors), they're just really cheap to bypass.

Apparently if you kill a family member (or reach the vault?) the house remembers that state, which might be an impossible one to complete; maybe that explains it?

Last edited by voxel (2014-08-05 09:11:51)

#4 2014-08-05 16:02:54

castledoc

voxel wrote:

... the house remembers that state, which might be an impossible one to complete; maybe that explains it?

That's part of it, but the other part is that they have so much more to throw at things like dogs and components.  A few days ago, I was in a place with a clock and I've hit a couple (or the same place twice) with combo locks and dog-in-walls.

It's always so difficult to know - I saw a dog behind the glass is that floor section going to de-power when I step or fry me? Will it perma-lock out the vault if I de-power it? Works the same with the trapdoors...

If you see a dog and it's mirroring you behind a wall, it might - or might not close that trapdoor.  If it doesn't you come back a day later and try again smile

#5 2014-08-07 09:19:20

voxel

OK, with a little more experience I guess grills really are far worse than trapdoors and armoured doors, unless you cleverly make use of the fact that they conduct to create lockouts. Still, I wouldn't consider using trapdoors until I'm rolling in it.

I've just tried a tooled robbery of every single house in town. Mapping out many of them. Many embarrassing deaths. My conclusion is that the mid-tier houses tend to have ~$5000 of components, and up to $10000 in the vault, but aren't as impenetrable as I thought; some could be broken for not very much more than $2000 and a little suicide scouting. On the other hand the top of the rich list seem like fortresses and I only rob them due to generosity.

Last edited by voxel (2014-08-07 09:36:59)

#6 2014-08-08 19:43:34

castledoc

That's kind of where I've settled.  I'll suicide off trying to map the rich/medium rich places, but only after I manage to either:

1) Kill myself on a self-test (happens embarrassingly often)
2) probe too deeply in a neighbors house (happens less and less, though sometimes you do get caught off guard)

#7 2014-08-09 09:29:42

eppfel
Website

castledoc wrote:

And Earl.  Oh my god, Earl!  Does that design really pass the self-test?  HOW?

Welcome my friend and nice to see someone with enthusiasm again.
Jep, that design passes self-test... every time;-) I did it so often, I know it from heart and I actually had only one alternation of the combination. But it seems every time I'm robbed, nobody even tries to remember the solution.

#8 2014-08-10 01:58:35

FreeLove

Really? Hmm… I tried, but I think maybe I mapped a button wrong.

I only post because I care <3

#9 2014-08-10 04:10:41

voxel

Oh, only one combination change? A great design fi you can get away with that.

Actually yesterday I noticed that there was a very simple house, Austin Nicholas Cochran, which it was impossible to pass the self test for. Just two corridors containing the family (and IIRC a dog). An exploit?

I'm not maintaining a house at the moment; just having fun mapping.

I put up a few puzzle houses, even non-deadly ones, but people always brute forced them without a single glance. Those people are on my hitlist.

Board footer