The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-14 16:55:57

Laffinty

Anyone else annoyed by the Names?

The random names.
Well I don't exactly expect it to change and I kinda get why its there

Just it annoys me and wondering what others think about that? like somehow I find it hard to remember the combination of the 3 names sometimes (and hard to remember my name) and i'd prefer if people would stay more uniquely identifiable
but eh, just wondering what others think, i'm sure a lot of people dont mind

#2 2013-06-14 17:36:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Anyone else annoyed by the Names?

They are generated based on real-life name frequencies taken from the 1991 US Social Security Database and from 1990 census data.  The names of the parents and children are age-appropriate based on the era in which they were born (60's kids vs 80s kids), so for example, the daughter generally has a "younger" sounding name than the wife.

This isn't really a response to your complaint, as much as it's an attempt to convince you of how cool this feature is and how much time and thought I put into it.  smile

In terms of remembering three parts, the most recent search engine is pretty flexible.  For example, searching for "jo jo" matches "Jorge James John" and "Joseph John Munoz".  So, you can try to remember just one part of someone's name to find them again later.

Also, writing down names is an aesthetically cool thing that the game might cause you to do.  You'll have a slip of paper on your desk with the name "Joseph John Munoz."  Anyone who sees that slip of paper might think it looks pretty suspicious!

#3 2013-06-14 17:47:57

Laffinty

haha tongue well i can see the upsides of it, i'd just like something that sticks to the player so i can see who is who wink

#4 2013-06-14 17:50:25

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Oh, well... that. 

Hmm... so you can take revenge across lives?  Can't you let the dead rest in peace?

#5 2013-06-14 18:17:39

Laffinty

jasonrohrer wrote:

Oh, well... that. 

Hmm... so you can take revenge across lives?  Can't you let the dead rest in peace?

Well, maybe part of it haha, but not only, also I dunno, someone may get known for making tricky houses and i tend to be able to remember nicknames better :3
And you cna probably more easily associate people on the forum to people ingame
And i will stop not knowing my own name big_smile

But as i said, not really expecting this to be changed ^^

#6 2013-07-01 03:09:12

Ludicrosity

I realize this is an old thread, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents and say that I really love the randomly generated names. It adds a really nice touch.

#7 2013-08-11 14:21:45

gyuri

Today I've been visited by Dillon, Mccarthy and Keys. They might have been looking for a drummer to form a supergroup.

Board footer