The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-19 15:20:41

Blip

Bug Abuse or Cheating? - Two Odd Security Tapes

Recently I got two very, very odd security tapes. The first one claims that the robber, Richard Damian Nash, stole $13000. However, upon viewing the tape, he dies before getting to the safe, and fails to kill my wife either. The tape, however, continues after death, with enough steps in the remaining tape to get him to the vault! The very next tape features James Richard Morris, who also dies in the trap. This time he legitimately stole some money (over $15000!), as he killed my wife. After death, the tape goes on, and he begins using the many tools in his inventory one by one, along with some blank steps as well. The next tape, a normal robbery attempt, has my house trashed... with exactly the same amount of tools that Morris used before accepting his demise.

I think somebody might be hacking so that they can move, use tools, and even complete robberies after death. Otherwise, there is a bug that allows this to happen. Has anybody else seen this? What's going on?

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#2 2013-06-19 15:56:00

largestherb

Re: Bug Abuse or Cheating? - Two Odd Security Tapes

ah, the old keep moving after death hack returns!

i expect that user will be banned once jason has a look smile

#3 2013-06-19 17:24:25

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Both tapes look fine on my end, and both robbers live.

Say... is there any chance that you've "upgraded" to the v10 source by checking it out from mercurial?  The game behaves differently in v10, so the v9 tapes don't play correctly there.

Indeed!  When I watch these tapes through my v10 (in progress) client, I see EXACTLY the same behavior you describe.... (he dies and then uses tools after death, etc., because the dogs move differently in v10).

If you're doing this, beware!  Your v10 robberies will sometimes be rejected by the v9 server.

Cheating death is impossible (since v6 or so, I think) because all robberies are test-played on the server to verify their correctness.

#4 2013-06-19 18:02:10

zed

You're still using hg? The repository I know hasn't been updated since v8...

#5 2013-06-20 08:08:28

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Oh, yeah, Sourceforge moved everything to a new system, and the repository changed addresses as a result.

Take a look back on the SF hcsoftware project page---you can find the new address and access instructions there.

Funny.... it must have seemed like I quietly removed the game from public development!  You should have called me on that.  :-)

Board footer