The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-11 06:56:50

largestherb

electricity!

cFnDScN.png
spoiler: this is why i keep saying voltage detector is useless tongue

electric grids seem to be the only 'broken' electronic that stops power from passing.

sticky button and trapdoor i think i am okay with. although i think i'd also be okay with crowbar breaking sticky buttons, but the crowbar feels so powerful already so i'll stop talking about it now.

but! a crowbar'd door makes me wonder.. should it really still be providing power? in every action film i've seen where ACTION HERO forces open a powered door, there are sparks flying and small explosions and all sorts! surely that is going to burn out some local wiring?
a doorstop'd powered door.. i think that is okay, but i'm not sure. the motor wont be happy, but in the same action films a door that is already open and tries to shut usually doesn't spark and explode as much.

disco light.. i think disco light should be similar to the grid, a bottle of water to turn that sucker off. i only really bring this up as i have been planning some evil electronics lately that try to make use of the robber being unable to do anything at all to interrupt power through lights. maybe it doesn't matter that much, in most cases there will eventually be something else that can be broken. but my plans were kind of evil. hmm.

~ i realise it is a common practice to string a lot of doors together to trap people in place, or keep people out of places. i am not calling for the door change to happen, i quite like how they work now. just more mechanics to discuss, i do not think i have seen anyone mention this before!

Last edited by largestherb (2013-07-11 07:07:32)

#2 2013-07-11 13:27:32

gyuri

Re: electricity!

I also have an issue regarding electricity where voltage detectors are quite important. I don't see why you can just cut your way through a powered wired wall with a saw. Don't try it at home.

I think cutting a wired wall with a saw should cause you to die, if the wall is powered. But if you test it with a voltage detector and find it powered, you can use a blowtorch or explosives instead.

This would make vandalism a bit more dangerous and help protect cheap houses a bit more.

#3 2013-07-11 15:02:22

Ludicrosity

How did you get your lights green? Mine are orange.

#4 2013-07-11 16:17:32

jere

I think largestherb just changed the sprites... though I'm confused about how to do that. I edited the files in GIMP, but when I open up TCD again it doesn't work and uses the previously loaded sprite (e.g. I edit lightOff.tga, but it substitutes floorCold.tga instead).

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#5 2013-07-12 14:11:53

jasonrohrer
Administrator

You need to save your TGA files without compression and without colormaps (they need to be full RGB color TGA files).  My TGA-reading code is really simple, and doesn't support the full breadth of the TGA format.

I wonder about broken doors conducting power.... I mean, the wires are still there!

And trapdoors still open and close under the ladder (so, obviously, they still conduct).

I like the idea of sawing through a wired wall killing you if the power is on.  However, there's currently no support in the engine for a tool use triggering your death.  Only tiles can trigger your death upon contact.  You could imagine cut wires becoming dangerous to step on if they still have power, though (and the same for cut wired walls).  Like, essentially they turn into electric floors after being cut.

#6 2013-07-12 14:13:17

jasonrohrer
Administrator

(But then obviously you'd need to be able to bypass them with water, or else wired wooden walls that are powered would not be bypassable with tools---really, you'd need to make the cutting action itself deadly.  Maybe someday.)

#7 2013-07-12 14:29:43

jere

Ah, thanks! All I had to do was uncheck a box for "RLE compression." I don't actually remember ever encountering this filetype.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#8 2013-07-12 14:49:59

gyuri

jasonrohrer wrote:

I like the idea of sawing through a wired wall killing you if the power is on.  However, there's currently no support in the engine for a tool use triggering your death.  Only tiles can trigger your death upon contact.

Well if you are caught by a pitbull, the tile becomes deadly in that very moment. So if you cut into a powered wired wall, the tile you're standing on could become deadly too?

(In reality it's also not the wall that kills you but the power flowing through your body and feet into the earth.)

jasonrohrer wrote:

You could imagine cut wires becoming dangerous to step on if they still have power, though (and the same for cut wired walls).  Like, essentially they turn into electric floors after being cut.

That would be a nice alternative, of course you would have to be able to water them, but it would make vandalism much less fun.

#9 2013-07-12 15:57:33

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, a tool only affects the tile that it's applied to in the current engine.  So, it can't affect the tile that you're standing on when you cut a wall.

#10 2013-07-13 01:39:45

largestherb

well i don't know about you guys, but i always do my robbing with my rubber boots and other personal protection equipment!

ohh, and yes i always liked the idea of an 'on' wired wall sawing causing death. bomb/blowtorch would be a safe way to cut through smile

Last edited by largestherb (2013-07-13 01:43:19)

#11 2013-07-13 01:52:16

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Ahem.... the saw has a wooden handle, see?

#12 2013-07-13 02:00:39

largestherb

876.1L.jpg

how far does a spark jump from a rivet!

#13 2013-07-16 05:00:26

Flamebo

If anyone here has player Space Station 13, it has a mechanic where trying to cut through wired walls kills you. I really like the way walls and wiring works in that game, you can build secret doors and all kinds of stuff.

Board footer