The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-16 09:46:31

pottage

This behaviour doesn't seem right

I just wanted to post my thoughts on something that happened to me in the game, that didn't seem right to me. I was scouting someone's house that had some dogs chasing you, and you had to pick the right doors to get to the vault. I went in with a few tools, put the dogs to sleep and discovered the correct route to the safe, and robbed it, leaving (I thought) my tools in the safe. I thought, seeing as I had worked out the correct route to the safe, I could then return to the house with no tools, get to the safe and collect my left tools from before. However, I got to the vault with the dogs chasing me to see that the vault was 'busted', so I couldn't rob it, and was at that point cornered by dogs, so had no choice except death. I'm sure in past versions of the game, if you left some tools in a house after robbing it, you could return to collect them, almost as a reward for working out how to solve the house with no tools. I think that when you leave some tools in the house after a successful robbery, these should go into the vault, and you should be able to collect them if you can. Obviously, if you're clever you could build a one time-robbable house, so the robber wouldn't be able to return to collect their left tools, leaving you a little nest-egg to rebuilt the damage from the first robbery.
What do you guys think about this?

#2 2013-07-16 10:11:49

jere

Re: This behaviour doesn't seem right

I thought, seeing as I had worked out the correct route to the safe, I could then return to the house with no tools, get to the safe and collect my left tools from before. However, I got to the vault with the dogs chasing me to see that the vault was 'busted', so I couldn't rob it, and was at that point cornered by dogs, so had no choice except death.

I can't tell from this if you were aware of the v13 update, but here it is for clarity: http://thecastledoctrine.net/forums/vie … php?id=382

This release changes the robbery end condition so that an empty vault that has already been robbed by someone else cannot be reached.  This means that reaching an empty vault over and over can no longer be used to cumulatively add damage to a house (damage is saved when the vault is reached or family members are killed).

Since the intent is to prevent repeat vandalism, I think "empty" here means $0 and not $0 and 0 tools. Otherwise, you would just take a $2 brick with you every time, dump it in the vault, and keep coming back to vandalize. So I believe what you saw is expected. You might be able to reclaim your tools after the first salary payment kicks in though.

I kind of like having to give up left over tools. That makes for some hard decisions as opposed to the ultarich bringing their entire arsenal every time because they get to keep all of it they don't use.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#3 2013-07-16 12:04:11

Ludicrosity

Yeah, it sounds like you missed that last couple of updates.

#4 2013-07-16 18:07:40

pottage

Right, sorry. My bad, must have missed that. And the reasons make sense, I just need to remember and learn from my fatal accident.

#5 2013-07-17 04:00:58

pottage

So can I just ask, what does happen to your leftover tools when you successfully rob a house? Do they just disappear out of the game, the same as when you leave a house?

#6 2013-07-17 04:14:26

dalleck

pottage wrote:

So can I just ask, what does happen to your leftover tools when you successfully rob a house? Do they just disappear out of the game, the same as when you leave a house?

As far as I am aware, tools only remain if the robber dies in the house.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#7 2013-07-17 18:34:48

Ludicrosity

That's my understanding too; I think unused tools do simply vanish after a successful burglary.

#8 2013-07-18 15:55:17

largestherb

dalleck wrote:
pottage wrote:

As far as I am aware, tools only remain if the robber dies in the house.

i thought so too, but i just died in a house with a large amount of tools and we could not find the tool-pile anywhere..

could it be that i exited and reopened the client rather than pushed 'fresh start?'

#9 2013-07-18 18:05:13

Ludicrosity

That's weird.

#10 2013-07-19 10:28:16

jasonrohrer
Administrator

This was changed to prevent tool-dumping across multiple lives.

If you know how to reach the vault, you can buy $2000 worth of tools, dump them in the vault, and the kill yourself at home, and repeat.  Since you die at home, there's no chill put on the target house.

So, now tools are only added to the vault when you die in the house (where a chill prevents you from repeating the process more than once per hour).

Herb, not sure what you mean by "tool pile," because the tools are added to the vault.

Board footer