The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-23 15:34:17

Dovahkriid

I don't even know...

hi everyone, i'm really new to this game. i still have no idea about what is the magic dance and how the hell dogs move, but can somebody explain me this?
llo8kNm.png
i mean, i cant do anything. if i move right then i die. i cant even dance there. any tips?

Last edited by Dovahkriid (2013-07-23 15:41:28)

#2 2013-07-23 15:43:27

Matrix

Re: I don't even know...

That's a house that was already robbed before and is currently in a "broken" state. Sometimes houses that are in a broken state are also impossible to explore/solve without using the right tools.

You can also see that the vault was breached. You can tell by the vault's sprite having a hole on top. That means that there is nothing to steal from it anyway.

Animal movement
Animals only move if they have spotted you before. Once an animal sees you, it will start moving with your next step and won't stop anymore, unless it gets stuck in between walls/doors, or dies.
Dogs (Pitbulls and Chihuahuas) move 1 space closer to you every time you take a step.
Cats move 1 space away from you every time you take a step.

In this specific house you could reach the vault by using some Drugged Meat on the Pitbull, but since the vault was already robbed that would be pointless. Unless your aim is the family (if there is still one).

Last edited by Matrix (2013-07-23 15:55:06)

#3 2013-07-23 15:50:15

Dovahkriid

so, i just have to wait till the owner redesigns that house?

#4 2013-07-23 15:53:17

colorfusion

You can also use tools to get to the vault. All houses are possible, but some can be expensive are a tough challenge to solve after they're left in a state like this. With this you could use a drugged meat to stop the dog, then go and club the family with a crowbar.

Magic dancing is a different thing where you guide a dog or cat behind a wall over pressure plates that you can't see.

#5 2013-07-23 19:37:09

Ludicrosity

If you buy drugged meat, you can use it and then click on the dog, which will be highlighted if you are close enough to it when you use the drugged meat. The dog will then be asleep. At that point it will not chase you, but you still can't step on it without waking it up and dying.

Since dogs will following your movement once they've seen you, they can be used to do things. Suppose you see a dog behind a window at the other end of the screen. If you walk around, the dog will follow your movements as much as it can. This means that you can effectively pull the dog along some path, causing it to step on switches that may activate trap doors, power doors, or other security features. This is what the magic dance is all about. Since the dog that is following your movements will likely be behind many walls, you can't see where the switches are it needs to step on, so without getting back there to see, you have no way how knowing how you need to make the dog move. Hence it seems like the correct sequence of moves on your part is a magic dance.

#6 2013-07-24 06:05:08

bey bey

I have a curious question: Can a dog like this be drugged or shot? Around the corner? Because if it can't, there is a ludicrously simple way of building one-time-robbable houses now. hmm

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#7 2013-07-24 06:08:19

colorfusion

bey bey wrote:

I have a curious question: Can a dog like this be drugged or shot? Around the corner? Because if it can't, there is a ludicrously simple way of building one-time-robbable houses now. hmm

I'm pretty sure it can.

#8 2013-07-24 06:31:24

dalleck

bey bey wrote:

The answer is yes.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#9 2013-07-24 07:50:42

jere

Can you elaborate? The way I see it, there's plenty of easy ways to make one-time-robbable houses and killing magic dance pets would only prevent you from robbing the house in the first place.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#10 2013-07-24 09:38:46

bey bey

http://castlefortify.com/c/27a7b8c

This if I'm not mistaken - it would be hilarious if true because the safe would be dangling forever out of reach in front of the robber. My point was only that it would be so much easier to construct. I think we have all drunk the one-time-robbable kool-aid by now (place an electric floor at the end of the magic dance et cetera).

- Dalleck

#11 2013-07-24 09:43:25

Dovahkriid

well, how about this one? it doesnt seem broken to me
WbVJQBW.png

#12 2013-07-24 09:46:20

colorfusion

Dovahkriid wrote:

well, how about this one? it doesnt seem broken to me
http://i.im gur.com/WbVJQBW.png

Same solution; just drug or shoot the dog.

This time the vault isn't empty; it only stops earning money when it's robbed two times successfully.

#13 2013-07-24 10:01:45

bey bey

It's often an important piece of information: If it appears that there is no way somebody could survive a situation without tools, you know that the house is broken, so some mechanics might not be working anymore and there may be no solution (except for tools). Then again, some people leave damage from previous robberies in place to suggest that something is broken which indeed isn't, thus stringing you along.

- Dalleck

#14 2013-07-24 10:01:47

Dovahkriid

i know, but my question is, how did he passed the self test?

#15 2013-07-24 10:28:41

colorfusion

He didn't; somebody left it in that state.
If you reach the vault or kill a family member then the house is saved in that state.

#16 2013-07-24 10:41:50

largestherb

Dovahkriid wrote:

i know, but my question is, how did he passed the self test?

i see why you are asking, the vault has money so it has not been robbed..

maybe this is a question for rohrer - does logging in and timing out to avoid testing your broken house then redistribute the money between partner and vault? i'd call that a bug if is the case.

---

edit: it is hard to tell from the picture, but there is also the possibility that there was a family member south of the viewable area that was killed, then the robber ran back up, brought a dog down to that square and left, which would result in a vault with money but a dog in a seemingly impossible position

Last edited by largestherb (2013-07-24 10:43:09)

#17 2013-07-24 16:45:08

Ludicrosity

It's what colorfusion said; the house was robbed and saved in this "broken" state. The vault isn't busted because that only happens after having been robbed twice. A little while after the first robbery, the house had earned more money and the vault was again non-empty. Once robbed a second time (by someone using drugged meat for example) the vault will appear busted and will stop earning money.

Last edited by Ludicrosity (2013-07-24 16:46:23)

#18 2013-07-25 01:38:17

dalleck

Ludicrosity wrote:

It's what colorfusion said; the house was robbed and saved in this "broken" state. The vault isn't busted because that only happens after having been robbed twice. A little while after the first robbery, the house had earned more money and the vault was again non-empty. Once robbed a second time (by someone using drugged meat for example) the vault will appear busted and will stop earning money.

..and to elaborate, the vault will fill back up with money and make it available again, albeit with only $70 or whatever, while the rest is with the wife (could be thousands).

Wait.  But the vault does keep earning money if you have a wife alive right?  It is only shut down as Ludi said above, if you no longer have a wife with money, and thus $0 in money after a robbery.

Last edited by dalleck (2013-07-25 01:39:33)

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#19 2013-07-28 21:48:15

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Vault now earns money only until it has been hit twice.  Not twice in a row... just twice total.

It appears "busted" whenever it has been robbed and is currently empty.  So, robbed once, becomes busted (can't step on it), then 10 minutes later, earns $70 more, becomes not-busted again.  Maybe earns for a while after that, $70 every 10 minutes.  Then it's hit again, and becomes busted forever, and stops earning, until the owner returns home and fixes the house.

The wife being alive has no effect on the vault earning.

Board footer