The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-05 14:09:12

Negative

Idea regarding family mechanics

I think everyone would agree that the options for protecting family members are too limited.  I understand the reasons for this, but one idea I haven't heard yet is allowing the house to kill family members. 

For example, consider the following rules:
1) If the wife finds herself in an enclosed room, she panics and runs in the direction of the exit, hits her head against the first wall she meets, and dies.
2) If the wife finds her exit path blocked by a hazard, like an active electric floor, an unpowered trapdoor, or a powered door, she panics and tries to leave the house even without the robber seeing her.
3) If she is on her way out of the house and has to cross a hazard, like a trap door or an electric floor, then she does so, regardless of whether it will kill her or not. (if she runs into a closed powered door she dies also.)

This allows using traps to protect the family, but puts the complexity of ensuring the family can escape in the hands of the designer, who pays the price if they fail.  With these rules, I don't believe any self-test is necessary for the family placement.  Though I'm sure there are cases I haven't thought of.

#2 2013-09-05 20:01:21

largestherb

Re: Idea regarding family mechanics

lack of self-test for family means i just put a grid to execute my partner and a powered door/trapdoor in a horrible 'this is simply a game mechanic i am going to exploit, these pixels are nothing more to me than that' kind of way

i already hold my family with a fair amount of contempt. they currently earn too much money to just discard. where is the divorce+alimony options

#3 2013-09-09 14:09:12

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Idea regarding family mechanics

I'm pretty set on the idea of Kathy having a gun.... so that will stir things up a bit, I think.

Board footer