The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-16 08:56:35

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Wired wooden walls are back

Now that the metagame has (hopefully) changed somewhat, I'm trying to enrich the palette of home building options again.

Metal walls still do not conduct power, though.

#2 2013-10-17 05:58:55

Dantheman

Re: Wired wooden walls are back

Will you be holding off from having conducting metal walls? It sure would be nice. Also, I noticed that powered doors don't conduct anymore. ;-(

Get out of my house!

#3 2013-10-17 08:02:00

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Wired wooden walls are back

Yes, most "power activated objects" don't pass power anymore.

This was to prevent the "hall of 10 doors" design pattern, where you could force someone to use 10 crowbars to get through.  Now, at least, each door needs to have some wiring (weak point) running to it.

The only exception is electric floors, which still pass power, which makes them useful/interesting in various combos.

Conducting metal walls were originally in place as a "down side" to metal walls.  These walls were supposed to be stronger, but less useful because they would short-out nearby circuits.  HOWEVER, the conductivity made them useful as a stronger replacement for wired wooden walls, and everyone used them that way.  So, there wasn't really a trade off.  If you wanted to pass power selectively, you could use either wooden walls or a combo of cement walls and metal walls.

Now, there is a trade-off:

Wooden walls are weak, but they are the only kind that pass power.  They can be cut by every cutting tool.

Metal walls can only be cut by torches, and not by explosives, but they don't pass power.

Concrete walls can only be cut by explosives, and not by torches, but they don't pass power.

Board footer