The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-29 07:28:05

awesomebill

died while idle.

where was my warning for this? I was working on my map, might have been idle for less then 5 min in someones base, and I died due to inactivity. It would really be nice if I could get a warning about something like this, I had the most money by far, and I was just poking around in someones base, he had 5$ on him. Rogue-likes are cool, and I understand the joy of getting screwed over, but to die from that with no warning, is just bullshit....

#2 2013-10-29 07:38:12

ukuko

Re: died while idle.

The 5 minute idle limit is there for good reason. A warning at the 4 minute mark isn't a bad idea, though.

#3 2013-10-29 07:41:34

awesomebill

Yea I realize its there for good reason, but 5 min is way too soon. Are there any other times where going idle can kill me? A warning was needed thats all, this was a really shitty way to end my day. I was making notes at the time, stressing over how I was not to fall for a certain trap, then I look up and Im dead.

#4 2013-10-29 08:12:50

ukuko

You will die if you idle for 5 minutes during your self-test. If you are in edit mode you'll just get kicked to lobby.

#5 2013-10-29 08:24:12

awesomebill

does it save my changes if i get kicked from edit mode? Or do they revert?

#6 2013-10-29 08:52:49

colorfusion

They revert, otherwise you could easily make unbeatable houses that you haven't self tested yet.

A warning would definitely be nice, there'll be a lot of new users learning the game when it comes to steam and a death like this with no warning does seem a bit unfair.

The timer itself is good though. It's aggravating as it is to have someone practically AFKing in your house while you're just trying to get in and change some things. While you're in a house you're locking the content from other users.

Last edited by colorfusion (2013-10-29 08:54:35)

#7 2013-10-29 09:47:33

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Sorry that this happened to you!

Yeah, this is necessary to keep people from just "camping" in their house while they are asleep to keep people from robbing it (or camping in someone else's house to block the owner from getting back in).

It is only triggered if you literally don't move in the house for 5 minutes.  It kills you (when robbing or self test) to prevent you from timing out (or pulling the plug on your computer) as a cheap way to save your neck when you're trapped in some house.

The problem with a warning at the 4 minute mark is that you won't likely be there to read it (if you're idle, you're probably away from keyboard, or looking at notes, or whatever).

Maybe there could be a permanent warning on the top of the robbery page?

"(5 idle minutes or disconnecting will auto-kill you)"

But... you know, having that up there permanently is kind of aesthetically jarring.

Maybe just:

"(Warning:  don't go idle for more than four minutes...)"

Board footer