The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-10 20:43:00

wrigleys26

Unclubable dog (adding a wait button)

Recently I wanted to go over a dog, but to do so i had to club him. Unfortunatly, the dog was an even number of spaces away from me, so I was unable to club him and got killed in a corner. I had druged food, but would have been unable to pass over him. It would like to know if it would be possible to add a wait button so you could let the dog move next to you?

(Sorry for any mistake, english is not my main language)

#2 2013-12-10 21:26:57

joshwithguitar

Re: Unclubable dog (adding a wait button)

Hi wrigleys26, welcome to the forum! This kind of behaviour in dogs is intended and that is one reason the gun exists. To kill a dog that is an even number of spaces away bring a gun along and you can shoot it from a distance.

#3 2013-12-10 22:34:42

wrigleys26

That is what bug me about that. The gun cost way more that the club (6x). And i find it weird that base on the position of a dog you couldn't kill it with a club cause he is out of reach. You could easily make a whole corridor with only dog at an even spacing protecting your family. At least maybe considering clubing a druged dog ?

#4 2013-12-11 05:44:02

dalleck

If you read back through the past forum topics (perhaps search 'dog') you will see this issue has been pored over and tweaked by Jason quite intently, and we have ended up with the current implementation in the game which you are considering a 'bug'.  It is not.

Dogs are supposed to be dangerous.  When drugged dogs were club-able they were very easy to bypass.  Previously you required DOZENS of dogs to defend your family, now only a few dogs will do just as good a job (and in fact too many dogs can now weaken their effectiveness.)

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#5 2013-12-11 09:14:43

colorfusion

Jason made it like this on purpose so it would be possible to defend your family, otherwise they cost way too much to defend and a lot less to just brute force through.

#6 2013-12-14 14:22:48

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, it wasn't just to make the family easier to protect.

It was to increase the tactical, moment to moment gameplay around dog movement.  I want you to walk into a room and need to survey the position of dogs carefully, and look for a weakness in that position that you can exploit in some way (maybe by cutting a wall---who knows?)

If you could drug-and-club dogs, then you would just march in and do that mechanically---there's nothing tactical about it.  You see five dogs, you know you need five pieces of meat and five clubs, no matter how those dogs are positioned.

#7 2013-12-14 23:07:30

ZenRose

I thought sleeping dogs couldn't be killed at all but I recently saw someone shoot a drugged dog.  Is that supposed to happen?

#8 2013-12-15 02:00:32

dalleck

ZenRose wrote:

I thought sleeping dogs couldn't be killed at all but I recently saw someone shoot a drugged dog.  Is that supposed to happen?

Dog+Drugs+Gun=Good

Dog+Drugs+Club=Bad

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#9 2013-12-17 10:50:45

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, thematically, the club is too slow, and you don't dare attempt it.... or something!

But it's mostly a mechanical thing:  to make the club weaker than the gun.

Board footer