The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-01-13 06:18:26

joshwithguitar

Re: Maximum number of item types a house can FORCE a robber to use?

jasonrohrer wrote:

I think I'm going to leave this alone for now.

This is certainly an area where the game isn't broken and changing it could have a lot of unforeseen consequences. Perhaps once steam is up you'll need to create a second server where you trial new ideas before implementing them on the main server.

#27 2014-01-13 11:34:08

jasonrohrer
Administrator

That is a good idea!

Spawning and killing new servers is really simple, and it's easy enough to pass people a new reflectorURL to put in their settings folder.

#28 2014-02-12 13:26:06

monkey

I have only played a few days, so this may be a bit naive, and it's probably already been brought up... it just seems to me that solving the problem of unbeatable 9 thick walls by infinitely stackable item slots was massive overkill.

So, if brute forcing is the problem now, why not just set a reasonable limit on stack size and allow carrying multiple stacks of the same item type?

More experienced players would have a better idea, but I'd guess about 5 or 10 items per stack would be enough to make people think hard about their item choices. If there were a stack size limit you could also reduce the cost of items ( I hear they used to be cheaper ) to give new players more of a chance.

#29 2014-02-12 15:46:04

Welkin

I think the argument to lower to 5 slots, IE when brute forcing you can still break it with the 5/6 tools, will only restrict everyone but the rich men on top.

The only reason to take a doorstop is early to scout bases with a cheaper item, but when late game brute forcing I don't take doorstops since a saw, water, or wire cutters (depending on how the door is powered) work just as well and cost $200 more, which late game you don't care.

I think dropping the items down to 5/6 will not change late game when brute forcing costing a little more doesn't really matter. It will hurt your average robber who wants to take a few bricks, a few doorstops, a few clubs, etc..

Board footer