The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-25 00:18:28

Garcian

How was I discovered?

I'm really curious on how this burglar found the correct path. Here is basically what my maze looked like. I'm not sure how to share tapes though. He opened all of front doors, walks up and down for a bit, then just goes directly into the correct path. There's a one in twenty chance or something, but the way he was moving, it appeared highly unlikely that he did not know the correct path.

Any ideas?

#2 2014-01-25 00:23:43

DethBringa

Re: How was I discovered?

I was just discussing that on another post as it has happened to me on 3 different styles of houses.

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#3 2014-01-25 00:32:50

joshwithguitar

Garcian: Firstly, 1 in 20 is not particularly high, so it could have just been chance. The fact that the vault hall is different to the others could be a give-away to a player with a high gamma display though so try making each hall identical and then placing the vault in an empty space. The fact that he opened all of the doors makes this more likely.

#4 2014-01-25 00:44:31

Garcian

That's fair, but his movement was suspicious enough to assume that it wasn't chance. I thought the high gamma display might be the reason, but isn't that only three spaces? The person is seeing past the door, and then some. Also, they are no differences between the halls, so the only solution would be if he could see past three spaces?

#5 2014-01-25 00:50:01

joshwithguitar

The halls in your example above are different in that one ends without a connecting wall, while the rest have one. Connecting walls can be seen surprising well with high gamma still, whilst walls that are not connected to seen ones should not be visible at all.

#6 2014-01-25 00:58:32

DethBringa

The way to fix that is to replace your last wall with a different material.

like this

Last edited by DethBringa (2014-01-25 01:00:40)

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#7 2014-01-25 01:06:54

TheRealCheese

I had a similar thing happen where my visitor even made the choice with a dog in the tile behind him. I have looked at the tape again and again and from the hallway there are no differences to the corridors and since there is a dog behind you you can't open different doors to check out how the corridors look behind it...

Edit: Dougles Edward Nichols did it on mine, his first entrance to my house and he walked directly to the correct door, no tools used. Even if you drug my pitbull you still have to choose the correct door in the first try as a panic button will close a door behind the door that leads to the correct corridor (not relevant for the 'mysterious' break-in since he did it with the dog on his tail, just liked that feature of my very simple lowcost build wink ). His house is no longer in the list, but have anyone else had a 'suspicious' break-in by this user?

Last edited by TheRealCheese (2014-01-25 01:13:24)

#8 2014-01-25 04:35:09

DaveKap

Not necessarily from that same person but I've built mazes that span the entire house with a chasing dog at the start and have seen users go directly to the safe after only 5 to 10 other people have tried entering the house. I'm rather convinced there are a good portion of cheaters out there. As with any game that is dependent on fog of war, I am unsure how there would ever _not_ be a good amount of cheaters waiting to take advantage.

#9 2014-01-25 13:43:35

Garcian

Yeah.. so it just happened again. My set-up was altered, using some of the advice you guys gave me, but it seems that some people can still just see through it. The guy drugs both of my dogs, so that gives him free time to inspect the rooms. And while it may be "chance", like I've said, his movement is too fluent to be a guess. It appears as though he goes through each room, checks it off, and then goes to the next until he finds one. I may consider just making some faulty rooms or something, because it's been way too close for comfort.

Basic draft of my house.

#10 2014-01-25 18:02:41

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I think they're leading you astray here a bit... Yes, connected walls are drawn under the shroud now, but the shroud becomes solid black by the third tile behind a wall:

R ABC

If R is the robber, A is a wall, and B and C are spaces behind the wall, then the shroud will be full black over C (maybe the edge of C will be visible).

This doesn't apply to the house above, because he has a 3-tile gap behind the door.

HOWEVER, the odds in the house in question are 1/14.  And you had more than 14 people try the house, so there is no surprise that one got through.

YES, there is a chance of cheating in this game, but so far, no one has cheated in this way.

Try building something with 1/1,000,000 odds, and I think you will see bypasses dropping down to 0.  If someone was really cheating, they would bypass such a house with no problem, and I'd hear about it right away.

Far more prevalent is "using multiple accounts" to scout without dying in your main account, and there's actually no way to detect or prevent that in all cases!

#11 2014-01-25 18:58:43

Garcian

So theoretically, neither of those houses should be able to be seen, yes?

Because my friend has the same sort of house, except there's fifteen by fifteen by fifteen branches. There would be a 0.02% chance of success, and I've said before, the way they enter is suspicious. They open all the doors, and then conveniently walk to the correct one without fear and get to the vault. Perhaps he is being scouted by different people, as that or cheating seem to be the only options.

#12 2014-01-25 19:33:21

DethBringa

Have you tried scouting your friends house with your gamma cranked up?

I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#13 2014-01-25 20:13:40

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, gamma shows more... but it doesn't show you what's behind a door 3+ tiles back!

If I'm missing something, then screen shot please!

It's possible to build a 15 x 15 x 15 x 15 "guess the door" house with starter money (requires quite a bit more to make the wrong choices deadly)  That's 1/50000 chance of guessing correctly.

I've got the "god" view over here where I can watch all robbery tapes.  The really big heists all seem to use tons of tools and tons of scouting (for houses that have 1/million chance of guessing).  Wouldn't a cheater just waltz through those houses too?  Why would a cheater focus on 1/100 houses?

#14 2014-01-25 20:46:45

Garcian

Yeah, it's definitely possible to get lucky and find the vault like that, but if you were going to leave it to chance, I doubt you'd walk through each door in such clean fashion. I'm not the one who got robbed, but my friend was incredibly baffled as to how he got through so easily.

I would assume that they might have something that gives them more vision than three tiles. If they could see the whole thing, they wouldn't have opened all the doors instead of waltzing in without fear. He could also try and pretend like he didn't know.. But as for the bigger houses, assuming that he cannot see globally, it'd be incredibly dangerous, as they do not rely on luck or vision, rather than weird mechanics and contraptions to kill.

It's all just very strange, there's obviously something, but it's not strong enough to take on the best houses.

#15 2014-01-25 21:02:41

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Tell your friend to email me and name the robber AND how much was stolen:  jasonrohrer@fastmail.fm

I can take a look at the tape on my end.

#16 2014-01-25 21:11:06

Garcian

Unfortunately, he died testing his house, so there's no way to find out the robber's name and the amount that was stolen.

I think his new house is the same concept though, so if it happens again, I'll be sure to notify you.

#17 2014-01-26 19:20:39

okami316

I had somewhat of a similar case as well. Basically I had 15 doors to choose from, one of which leads to more and more. 15 Choices which repeated 5 times. I lost that house few minutes ago cause I died after being careless being left with no money and tools (My family were dead a while back so I lost all money).

Basic layout:
Grill - Switch - Power Source - Door - Trap (if wrong)
A-B-C-D-E

Robber would stand at position A which would put 3 blocks of space before being able to see whether it leads to a trap or an empty space. I don't doubt the chance that it was complete luck, but one movement was just a little bit suspicious. Basically it would be like a 4 digit combo, where each one ranges from 1-15. I can freely change it whenever, and at the time of the robbery it was 15-5-15-15-12.
The suspicious movement was after going through the first one (15) he went to the very top first, and then moved down 5, making it look like he was counting them. It was the same way I self-checked them, as I'm sure anyone would check that way. Then he ran straight down to 15, ran straight, and then went up to 12 without a single hesitating movement. Of course I don't know if he's actually biding his time making these choices, since you can't see how long people spend on each step in the tapes.

I'm honestly just befuddled more than anything. I read the previous posts regarding what seemed like more complicated contraptions and for more money than mine. So I thought I was prepared for my vault to be cracked by the lucky people but... dang. If it is some form of cheating, then it'd be great to get it hopefully prevented in the future. If not, then I'll just leave it as just tough luck on my part. I did have the same combo for a bit (few hours), but I didn't see the need to change when no one got past the 3rd door even in death. Unless there was a robber that didn't leave a security tape intentionally through the means of client timeout or quitting mid-robbery.

Board footer