The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-29 03:53:39

Someguy

Suggestion: Delayed house value update for new respawns

As a new player, I try to keep the house value low to not attract too much attention and so constantly spend money to improve my house design.
The problem is when I am afk (sleeping), the house value keeps raising until it is big enough to draw attention and then inevitably someone stocks up in tools and just brute forces my vault.
And I do not really see how I could avoid that (I am open to suggestions).

So my suggestion is to delay the displayed house value (only for increases) by a day (or other) for recently spawned players, as to actually give them a chance to improve their house design to match the total worth.

What do you think?

#2 2014-01-29 08:12:59

setz
Website

Re: Suggestion: Delayed house value update for new respawns

I understand the frustration of getting to know the game and having all your stuff stolen, but ultimately I think people would end up spamming this feature. They would spend the first day pumping up a house with no threat of being robbed, only to show up the next day with a extremely tough house and that would ultimately not be fair.

One of the best things about this game is honestly how fair it is for everyone across the board. There is no DLC, there is no power-ups, the only way to make a better house is to rob other houses while also building up your own. If people had an option to hide their house for a day it would become TOO powerful (there were similar things like this in the Alpha that gave advantages and were ultimately removed for that reason). You have to play the game with extreme caution ALL THE TIME and that is what I love about the game. YOU ARE NEVER SAFE. The game has an extreme learning curve but at the same time it is extremely rewarding.

#3 2014-01-29 08:17:24

gyuri

I'be been playing for about 4 months until my house finally survived a night. That's part of the fun.

#4 2014-01-29 08:50:21

Someguy

>They would spend the first day pumping up a house with no threat of being robbed

You can already do that if you keep checking your house and editing your design as you get more money. You keep the value low and get no attention from rich players. The problem is I have to sleep and then I accumulate money because my design is half decent until a rich player just decides to rob me.

>If people had an option to hide their house for a day it would become TOO powerful

The problem is a bit like the PvP MMOs with regional servers where some people play when the majority is sleeping.

My suggestion would not completely hide the house, it would just show a house value of < 2000$ for a day. The only protection, as a newly spawned player, from a rich player is to not get his attention. What other options do I have? I just hope that no rich player with tools enters my house when it displays 10k money while I am sleeping / at work?

Last edited by Someguy (2014-01-29 08:54:12)

#5 2014-01-29 09:01:11

setz
Website

Someguy wrote:

>
You can already do that if you keep checking your house and editing your design as you get more money. You keep the value low and get no attention from rich players. The problem is I have to sleep and then I accumulate money because my design is half decent until a rich player just decides to rob me.

If you keep editing your house over and over it will keep showing a 0/0 at the main house screen and you would be suprised how fast 0/0 houses get picked upon even if they are under 2000. There used to be a salary function in the game that you would accumulate money over time for doing nothing but that has been removed. The main way to make money is not to luckily have a rich person rob your house, although that can work, you need to actively pursue houses to make money.

Someguy wrote:

>"I just hope that no rich player with tools enters my house when it displays 10k money while I am sleeping / at work?

I dont really know what to say other than this is kind of the whole basis behind this game and what makes it scary to leave your house alone, its always a gamble. You shouldnt want to leave the game because at any moment someone can rob you.

#6 2014-01-29 09:12:27

Someguy

>you would be suprised how fast 0/0 houses get picked upon even if they are under 2000

Of course you get action if the value is under 2000, that's the point. But not from people with 2000$ worth of tools in the backpack, only people where you have a decent chance to defend against.

#7 2014-01-29 09:30:20

setz
Website

Look Someguy I am not trying to be rude to your request. I do understand getting robbed can be frustrating but I can't stress enough what I said about the game always being scary and a gamble. It's a game that can be extremely disheartening but also extremely rewarding. Remember every house can be broken with no tools, so its really important to study traps and learn about them. It takes ALOT of experimenting and I would be a liar if I said I haven't gotten extremely frustrated with the game and stopped playing for a week or two because of not being able to get a good amount of $ to make a decent house. But that thrill of robbing someone for $20,000+ is unrivaled. It takes time and the learning curve for the game is huge. But now that the game has been out for a while in alpha there are alot of good threads on these forums and pages on the wiki explaining alot of the traps that I have spent numerous hours dying on and trying to figure out. This is just my opinion from playing the game for almost a year now and having numerous discussions with lots of people on these forums.

BUT who knows and maybe something like this could happen if it becomes frustrating for a lot of the new players. Alot has changed over the past year and I am not sure if Jason is going to continue to make changes and experiment with multiple releases of the game.  smile

Last edited by setz (2014-01-29 09:36:22)

#8 2014-01-29 09:55:58

Someguy

Sorry if I gave the impression of being angry or frustrated, I am fine with the game as it is.
But I just feel that my suggestion would improve the game and reduce getting robbed from people against whom you can't really defend. Reducing the randomness is a good thing IMHO.

#9 2014-01-29 10:06:55

setz
Website

smile Glad we are good. I greatly enjoy good discussions (like we are having) on here but wanted to make sure we were not getting into an angry tone. smile

Last edited by setz (2014-01-29 10:07:58)

#10 2014-01-29 11:55:54

DethBringa

Well I have been playing for a total of 13 days. I brought the game just before the real money contest. It was really hard to start off as I would build a bit, wait for fail robbers, build a bit, etc... repeat that for a day. Go to bed and wake up broke. I'd make a crapload while asleep then lose it all just before I get up in the morning. I understand the frustration.
BUT
While you are doing that slow build you still have your house growing. If you persevere with it eventually you can fill your whole house with traps even though you get robbed every night and lose everything (unless you make sure your family is protected, then you lose half and have money to repair).

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#11 2014-01-29 12:08:19

colorfusion

There are ways to avoid the few initial brute forces, but the easiest way to get started is just keep going. A brute force through your house isn't a game over, and most people have had to go through it. Just keep robbing low houses and adding onto your house until eventually it survives overnight.

#12 2014-01-29 16:40:18

Someguy

Wanted to give an update about my house surviving its first night without being robbed and killed more than 20 people. Also it is amazing how many people just run into simple pits and how people are attracted by a long line of serial electric floors smile.

Last edited by Someguy (2014-01-29 17:22:52)

Board footer