The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-02-01 13:38:19

iceman
Website

Re: Suggestions Page

For #1, there actually already is this feature.  If you die in a house, you have "Chills" in that house for the next 24 hours, so you can't rob it.  That's what the purple houses are in the house list.

Fortress Theory Mod - New objects, tools, and paintings!

I keep dying of a natural cause - Stupidity
The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#27 2014-02-01 16:06:55

heihojin

I hadn't previously seen mention of "chills," so I assumed there was no such mechanic in place. So unless I am being revenge robbed by players with multiple accounts, then there is a different explanation for what is happening.

With the exception of one simply lucky robber in my first house, all the robberies successfully committed against me have immediately followed my nabbing a larger-than-usual bounty ($1700+). Since revenge robbery is apparently unlikely, I now think that the extra cash is suddenly making the house more attractive to a more vicious and prepared class of robbers. But because I hadn't yet had the opportunity to reinvest those funds and prepare to defend against the higher grade of criminal, I am still being victimized by my own success.

So I'd like to revise my #1 suggestion to: "Allow the homeowner to retain some of the cash from a successful robbery." The exact proportion is up for debate, but allowing the homeowner to lose everything means that nothing is left to repair the damage done by a class of robbers whom the homeowner initially didn't intend to attract.

Last edited by heihojin (2014-02-01 16:08:07)

#28 2014-02-01 16:16:46

iceman
Website

There also is that mechanic - the wife!  So many people complain about the wife, and yet she is so important for being able to recover well after a robbery.  That's why you have to protect her

The biggest thing that Castle Doctrine has taught me is that the price of your house is proportional to the stupidity of the mistake that kills you.

#29 2014-02-01 16:29:56

heihojin

That deals with my number two suggestion. Protecting the wife on a $2k budget is nigh impossible against those robbers who are targeting her.

EDIT: After doing some testing of my own and getting the hang of using the weapons, I am now convinced that starting players cannot adequately protect their families against targeted attacks. The real griefing in this game comes not from targeting the same player multiple times, but rather targeting the families of those players who are obviously on a budget. The griefer need not concern himself with recouping his losses, as simply committing suicide gives him a fresh $2k to continue his killing spree.

Last edited by heihojin (2014-02-01 17:02:58)

#30 2014-02-01 17:07:41

colorfusion

heihojin wrote:

That deals with my number two suggestion. Protecting the wife on a $2k budget is nigh impossible against those robbers who are targeting her.

EDIT: After doing some testing of my own and getting the hang of using the weapons, I am now convinced that starting players cannot adequately protect their families against targeted attacks. The real griefing in this game comes not from targeting the same player multiple times, but rather targeting the families of those players who are obviously on a budget. The griefer need not concern himself with recouping his losses, as simply committing suicide gives him a fresh $2k to continue his killing spree.

A suicide life robber can't afford more than one gun, so a strategically placed pitbull and a gun for your wife is all it takes for complete defence of your wife from $2000.

#31 2014-02-01 17:16:08

heihojin

colorfusion wrote:

A suicide life robber can't afford more than one gun, so a strategically placed pitbull and a gun for your wife is all it takes for complete defence of your wife from $2000.

I don't need to escape; I only need to kill the wife to get my kicks and ruin your day. Can you show me a setup for $2k that protects your wife?

EDIT: Perhaps the problem lies with free suicides, and a limit to the number of suicides in a 24-hour period should be implemented.

Last edited by heihojin (2014-02-01 17:26:28)

#32 2014-02-01 17:26:10

colorfusion

heihojin wrote:
colorfusion wrote:

I don't need to escape; I only need to kill the wife to get my kicks and ruin your day. Can you show me a setup for $2k that protects your wife?

http://castledraft.com/editor/k3o1zc should protect completely your wife from starter life robbers, unless I missed something. You can make it a lot cheaper on top of whatever trap you have already set up for your vault, and there are certainly designs that are cheaper still than this.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-01 17:30:07)

#33 2014-02-01 17:46:27

heihojin

colorfusion wrote:

http://castledraft.com/editor/k3o1zc should protect completely your wife from starter life robbers, unless I missed something. You can make it a lot cheaper on top of whatever trap you have already set up for your vault, and there are certainly designs that are cheaper still than this.

Aside from having to design the house such that the cat will never move downward in response to the player's movement, what is preventing the player from bricking the cat, clubbing the pit bull from the cover of the cat's corpse, and shooting the wife?

#34 2014-02-01 17:49:53

colorfusion

heihojin wrote:
colorfusion wrote:

Aside from having to design the house such that the cat will never move downward in response to the player's movement, what is preventing the player from bricking the cat, clubbing the pit bull from the cover of the cat's corpse, and shooting the wife?

The cat will move right into the electric grate on the first turn, meaning it can no longer move away and the pitbull will move down if you are adjacent to it.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-01 17:50:49)

#35 2014-02-01 18:03:10

colorfusion

heihojin wrote:
colorfusion wrote:

The cat will move right into the electric grate on the first turn, meaning it can no longer move away and the pitbull will move down if you are adjacent to it.

I don't understand. Upon the player's entering, the cat takes one turn to establish vision; this gives the player the opportunity to brick it before it moves. What am I missing?

Oh I see what you mean, moving the whole thing up by about 5 times should fix that, or moving the cat below the grid and making it so it moves up onto it, so even if you brick the cat the pitbull gets stuck correctly.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-02-01 18:07:26)

#36 2014-02-01 18:18:29

heihojin

colorfusion wrote:

Something was off in my initial testing and the cat wasn't moving on the first turn. But my retest demonstrates that it does, so that part is settled. The part I don't understand is why my pit bull never gains visibility of the robber without him being adjacent - but I'll concede that it now appears possible to guarantee protection for the wife and family with this setup.

However, this still doesn't address the larger concerns of the game. This is the first I've seen this setup, so it's certainly not commonplace. I think the vast majority of players will simply have their families killed over and over again until they get frustrated and give up, and making such an arcane setup mandatory isn't the best way to address this issue. It also does not address the disparity in costs between the suicide robbers and their victims.

#37 2014-02-01 18:23:35

iceman
Website

The dog still sees you, it's just that pit-bulls don't step next to dead animals unless you're on that tile (true for chihuahua's as well).  However, you don't even need that setup - if your dog is an even number of tiles away, the robber will need to shoot it, unless he's *really* clever about using your house.

#38 2014-02-01 18:35:54

heihojin

iceman wrote:

The dog still sees you, it's just that pit-bulls don't step next to dead animals unless you're on that tile (true for chihuahua's as well).  However, you don't even need that setup - if your dog is an even number of tiles away, the robber will need to shoot it, unless he's *really* clever about using your house.

Ah, I missed that bit in the wiki. It's certainly counter-intuitive, given that nothing is occupying the tile.

And the house also needs to be designed in such a way that the robber can't use a loose chihuahua for cover when approaching the pit bull. It's such a convoluted, arcane setup that requires the whole house to revolve around it - is it really the best way to address the problem of suicide robbers?

#39 2014-02-01 18:59:30

protox13

colorfusion wrote:
heihojin wrote:
colorfusion wrote:

I don't understand. Upon the player's entering, the cat takes one turn to establish vision; this gives the player the opportunity to brick it before it moves. What am I missing?

Oh I see what you mean, moving the whole thing up by about 5 times should fix that, or moving the cat below the grid and making it so it moves up onto it, so even if you brick the cat the pitbull gets stuck correctly.

It still seems one would be able to drug and club the dog, then shoot the wife for a total of $1500. So I could still kamikaze the wife regardless of the cat. Unless I'm missing something?

Last edited by protox13 (2014-02-01 19:12:18)

#40 2014-02-01 19:03:23

RockyBst

EDIT: Whoops, no, just looked again. You wouldn't be able to get the dog downwards, as the dead cat will stop it moving. And you wouldn't be able to club it, because you're always two spaces away. Step to one and the pitbull eats you.

Last edited by RockyBst (2014-02-01 19:04:45)

#41 2014-02-01 19:08:28

protox13

protox13 wrote:
colorfusion wrote:
heihojin wrote:

It still seems one would be able to drug/club the dog, then shoot the wife for a total of $1500. So I could still kamikaze the wife regardless of the cat. Unless I'm missing something?

No. I mean you drug the dog, walk up, club it, walk up, then shoot the wife. $1,500. That's it.

I think a similar setup with three dogs should do it. I'm not sure if it costs more than $2k, but don't think it does.

Last edited by protox13 (2014-02-01 19:12:43)

#42 2014-02-01 19:25:00

iceman
Website

You can't club sleeping dogs, for precisely that reason - a drug and club ($300) would be effectively the same thing as a pistol ($1200)

#43 2014-02-01 19:26:49

Keepeas

protox13 wrote:
protox13 wrote:
colorfusion wrote:

It still seems one would be able to drug/club the dog, then shoot the wife for a total of $1500. So I could still kamikaze the wife regardless of the cat. Unless I'm missing something?

No. I mean you drug the dog, walk up, club it, walk up, then shoot the wife. $1,500. That's it.

I think a similar setup with three dogs should do it. I'm not sure if it costs more than $2k, but don't think it does.

You can't club a drugged dog. If you drug a dog it basically turns into an un-removable landmine.

#44 2014-02-01 19:28:20

protox13

iceman wrote:

You can't club sleeping dogs, for precisely that reason - a drug and club ($300) would be effectively the same thing as a pistol ($1200)

EDIT: Just tested, and you're both right. This is helpful to know- I build and don't rob.

Last edited by protox13 (2014-02-01 19:43:37)

#45 2014-02-01 22:43:15

Fatalis

I think a copy paste function for house creation would be good.

There are times when I want to change out the layout/order of the traps I have, and if I wanted to do that, I would essentially have to recreate my entire house.

With copy/paste, you could easily just move sections of your house into different spots, and thus people are more likely to make more elaborate rooms, as it's easy to rearrange how you have your traps.

It also can be good making multiple rooms, or multiple traps (e.g Commit gates).

#46 2014-02-02 03:58:56

super_maçon

Hi there, i'm new and freshly addicted to the game.
Here's a problem ( for me ) and a suggestion.

I hate, i really hate that when in MMO someones is taking an advantage because he's playing more. Not better, just more.

There is in a way that problem is the castle doctrine. When your off line, imagine a first guy come at your house and break let say a wall and go out. Then an other guy enter and take advantage of that first burglary.
The fact is, if i was on line ( and if i could get into my house before the next robber ) i would be able to patch that wall.

Here's my suggestion then if you have the money in the shelter and if the wife is still alive she can make the repeir. Your resources will be automatically spent and the house "reset".

Also the owner should be able to get in before another burglary.
I don't know what's possible in term of code and all but i can imagine a "waiting list" and the owner would be always the first one. Maybe he could even watch the security tape "live" while waiting ?

What do you guys think ?

Last edited by super_maçon (2014-02-02 04:02:03)

#47 2014-02-02 04:07:05

GoogleFrog

Damage is only saved if a family member is killed or the safe is reached. People cannot simply chip away at your house over several attempts.

#48 2014-02-02 04:18:28

super_maçon

Ho yeah you're right. I'm watching the tapes of the last night and the first guys did kill the wife... Arg damn it.

I guess this is too much complicated to make that the house repair itself when off line. Or maybe it's a game design choice.

So when the wife's been killed shouldn't we want the house to be off line until we get back then ?

( i know i'm new to the game, maybe there some issue i don't see )

#49 2014-02-02 04:52:18

sebastian

Suggestion:
Make the house immune until it has been submitted a first time after a respawn. (eg: dont show it in list)
In other Words, don't Count the character as respawned until you actually has submitted the house a first time.

I have noticed that if I quit the game straight after a respawn, and then return later, my non-submitted empty house has been robbed.

Since you need to submit the house anyways to get out robbing, it can be more wise to allow "natural pauses" during respawns, eg, after a respawn, make the house completely immune until submitted first time.
That so you don't need to start a new respawn with immediately suiciding.

(Of course: The house should not be immune after the first submit, so if you quit the game after submitting first time, then you can be robbed offline, even if you have not submitted a recent edit)
Its just a small issue, but can be needed of thinking if respawn delays or other limitations are added later, so better fix this as Quick as possible.

#50 2014-02-02 05:32:30

sebastian

What im talking about, is about setting that time to "Unlimited" until you have done your first Self-test. Since you can't go out robbing Before you have done your first Self-test, it would be wise to allow people to quit the game straight after a respawn, without them having to suicide the first thing they do when they return.

Board footer