The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-09 03:17:12

Toolism

Unfun mechanics - your thoughts

There are a few unfun mechanics out there. Let's list a few :

1) THE COMBO LOCK - obvious, does not need explanation. I think the game is about solving interesting puzzles, the combo lock is very uninteresting plus there is nothing you can do on your first playthrough that would get you closer to solving it.
2) THE FUNNY DANCE - this one is rather unfun since there is no feedback from the system if your steps are doing something or not.
3) THE WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY - this is a variation of the funny dance where you just need to step the game forward enough so that switch X gets pressed in 1 turn, thus creating the window of opportunity for you to cross the gap or electric grate.

I know #1 is adressed by the addition of maps.
I think #2 and #3 would be VERY FUN ACTUALLY if there was some sort of feedback system like a click everytime a switch is pressed. This would let you try out different dances for #2 and would let you estimate the window of opportunity better for #3.

Ideally I would love for mr Roher to give us his take on #2 and #3. My opinion is that as they currently are , they are rather unfun to deal with because without any sort of device or feedback its just another type of combination lock to be honest.

#2 2013-04-09 06:01:23

Matrix

Re: Unfun mechanics - your thoughts

Check my thread for suggestions #1, #2 and #3.A) that when implemented together would address all 3 issues you mention without changing the core game idea itself and without introducing a perfect information gimmick (like maps) into the game.

I would like to hear you feedback.

There is also some discussion about clicking sounds and why they might or might not be a good solution.

Toolism wrote:

Ideally I would love for mr Roher to give us his take on #2 and #3. My opinion is that as they currently are , they are rather unfun to deal with because without any sort of device or feedback its just another type of combination lock to be honest.

I would like to hear his thoughts on this as well but I think I know the response already since in theory maps "deal" with these issues as well. However personally I think that maps are the wrong direction/implementation because they change the original game idea even if they change the game for only a small % of players. Which brings me to the next problem. Maps seem to be that kind of fix that improves the game for a (small) fraction of the player base (because only some players will be able to afford them) but doesn't really address the problem as a whole. I prefer solutions that (try to) improve the game for everyone and not just "top/rich" players while at the same time don't introduce (much) extra complexity into the game.

Last edited by Matrix (2013-04-09 06:24:50)

#3 2013-04-10 22:42:58

pavram

Agreed; maps aren't the solution.

A device that showed you every block along a single line (maybe just electrical based blocks? maybe just *active* electrical blocks? - maybe in a quater-screen cone-shape?) might be useful and would help with some of the designs.

The "Cone shaped" electrical scanner would allow you investigate the logic.

#4 2013-04-11 00:43:26

votekick

Flares that reveal another section of the map like standing in 2 places at once.
Throw em like bricks and last maybe 5 steps.

Board footer