The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-04 08:01:52

AMWhy

Players who you wish you could kill...

...In the spirit of the game, of course.

I'm a new member here after discovering the game last weekend.

Who are the players who you feel are out to get you. The ones who's actions come across as pure evil. The ones who go out of their way to make your life worse?

For me, it's a player called Richard Matthew Pike.

Pike scouted my castle, saw my wife, then left. He returned not long after with a brick, a gun, a hacksaw and some drugged meat. He performed a quick execution of my wife: brick through window, gun shot to kill my wife, saw to cut through a wall and meat to drug one of my dogs. Then he left without looking at anything else.

Total spend on tools: 1850.  Total profit gained from killing my wife: 829.

He lost over 1000 in total leading me to two conclusions:
-He has no idea how to play the game.
-He is the devil incarnate himself.

From his castle value of 42000, it looks like the devil.

#2 2014-02-04 09:08:30

ZenRose

Re: Players who you wish you could kill...

Different people play the game for different reasons.  Not all are motivated by cold cost benefit analysis and cannot be relied on to refrain from causing harm when an opportunity presents itself.  This must be taken into account when designing a house.  After I had someone kite all my pets into various traps before killing an accessible child I realized that I had to change the way I designed my houses to make them not only financially undesireable to attempt and scary for established players, but also emotionally unappealing for the destroyers.

#3 2014-02-04 13:01:13

JoeBlow

They may be trying to disable a family dependent house design.  If the wife and kids are dead, there is no one to carry the shotgun or press the Panic Button.

#4 2014-02-04 14:28:40

jw2pfd

AMWhy wrote:

Total spend on tools: 1850.  Total profit gained from killing my wife: 829.

He lost over 1000 in total

This isn't necessarily true.  If the robber had acquired these tools from another robber's death or a successful robbery, then the max cash value he would get for selling the tools is $925.  If he made $829 from killing your wife, then this is not that big of a loss.

It is always more cost efficient to rob with your tools than to sell them if you find the appropriate house to rob.  In this instance, taking a small loss wasn't much of a price to pay to cause permanent damage.  A good rule of thumb is to not create a setup where you can be screwed over for less than $2000 in tools.  If you have a visible family member from one step inside the house, then you also greatly risk their ability to survive.

#5 2014-02-04 16:54:58

JoeBlow

I'll club some guy's wife to death for an $8.00 profit if I am able...

#6 2014-02-04 16:57:08

jere

The other thing is if you had a lot of tools, he may have overestimated how much your wife was carrying. I know I've done that. I went in on ~$50k house and got $12k from the wife. I probably would have stopped but I had already dumped so much into it. Sunk costs, ya know?

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#7 2014-02-04 17:30:30

ZenRose

I recently learned that if you mouse over the wife it shows you how much money she is carrying.  I know this may not always be relevant but it is good to know and not immediately obvious.

Board footer