The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-15 13:29:47

Lord0fHam

That moment when...

Nobody has died or even tried in your 20k+ house for hours because (I think) everyone who is willing to try has already died in it.

It's a trap!

#2 2014-02-15 13:52:24

jere

Re: That moment when...

I think things have died down a bit. The last time I was on top, I was getting hundreds of bounties per day.

Now I have a mid tier ($20k+) house and it seems like I get maybe a dozen per day. No one is even walking in for hours.....

Last edited by jere (2014-02-15 13:52:47)

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#3 2014-02-15 13:58:25

Immhotep

Yup, I think 90% of the players already rage quitted the game for good, not everyone can take perma-death too much... Let's hope for the next steam promotion for the game or some big updates soon so people will come back.

Death is only the beginning...

#4 2014-02-15 16:24:38

cartti

My quess would be ppl got sick of "unfair" mechanics. Clock circuits, magic dances, combination locks etc.

I do love challenging puzzles, but its hardly a puzzle when all you can see is electric floor and only imagine what kind of voodoo is hidden somewhere inside those walls killing you any second.

Of course i'm still playing it.. Maybe even too much, but my tactics are different as there is no reason to risk dying on some magic tricks. I just got bored to figure out 90% of someones house just to see there is a combination lock at the end. I'm now just bunkering on my own house and slowly building it as bountys flow in. My house is relatively inviting and not scaring ppl away. No dirty tricks - It is hard to crack, but stupidity is what kills people in my house.

Another reason i might suspect is the new update where your house catalog starts at your own cash range. I did notice i got more ppl visiting when i burned my money down to 2k$ and no tools at the vault.

Last edited by cartti (2014-02-15 16:36:36)

#5 2014-02-15 18:57:53

Lord0fHam

cartti wrote:

Another reason i might suspect is the new update where your house catalog starts at your own cash range. I did notice i got more ppl visiting when i burned my money down to 2k$ and no tools at the vault.

That's interesting. My house is worth about 19.6K right now and I have only got a few visitors in the last few hours.

It's a trap!

#6 2014-02-15 19:01:29

42dustman

Immhotep wrote:

Yup, I think 90% of the players already rage quitted the game for good, not everyone can take perma-death too much... Let's hope for the next steam promotion for the game or some big updates soon so people will come back.

Unfortunately Jason has decided that there won't ever be any more discounts for this game.

Self-testing is torture.

#7 2014-02-15 19:06:15

Lord0fHam

42dustman wrote:
Immhotep wrote:

Unfortunately Jason has decided that there won't ever be any more discounts for this game.

Thats silly. Sometimes you can make more money even if it costs less because more people will buy it. Then those new people will tell their friends "Hey! I got this new game and it's $X off right now! You should get it!"

It's a trap!

#8 2014-02-15 19:17:25

joshwithguitar

From my standpoint the game population is still extremely healthy - it sure beats the average of 8 or so houses I was used to during the alpha run. There are still plenty of houses to rob and people playing, there is certainly no lack of content. It seems the thing being complained about is simply a lack of easy money - something that can easily be tweaked by Jason by increasing bounties.

#9 2014-02-15 19:59:15

Lord0fHam

i don't need easy money, i have over 20k and i'm just saving for cool paintings, i was just commenting on the fact that i think all the suicide robbers have the chills on my house right now.

It's a trap!

#10 2014-02-16 01:06:42

Pandamonium

Lord0fHam wrote:

i don't need easy money, i have over 20k and i'm just saving for cool paintings, i was just commenting on the fact that i think all the suicide robbers have the chills on my house right now.

Yeah, you know when its that time of day when the robberies suddenly stop happening?
the "daily" suicide scouter have all gotten the chills....

#11 2014-02-16 14:28:44

MMaster

I noticed the same thing and I think know why it is - because they are now by default at their house values when looking up targets so they don't scroll up too much to get to the top. As opposed to the state before where they just pushed page down a few times and ended up robbing houses ~15000 - 20000.

EDIT: If you have high value house take care of it as making money in high value houses is going to be difficult. The game has changed a lot for those that were making money by having well protected high value house. And it was just simple UI change :-) I think the only profitable way of gaining money with high value house is to spend the money on tools and rob another high value house ;-)

Last edited by MMaster (2014-02-16 14:42:23)

#12 2014-02-16 14:55:03

colorfusion

MMaster wrote:

I noticed the same thing and I think know why it is - because they are now by default at their house values when looking up targets so they don't scroll up too much to get to the top. As opposed to the state before where they just pushed page down a few times and ended up robbing houses ~15000 - 20000.

EDIT: If you have high value house take care of it as making money in high value houses is going to be difficult. The game has changed a lot for those that were making money by having well protected high value house. And it was just simple UI change :-) I think the only profitable way of gaining money with high value house is to spend the money on tools and rob another high value house ;-)

Yep, money has stopped piling up in my house so easily after the UI change. At first I was left wondering how I was going to make money, but after two successful robberies of houses above mine I now realise; the game seems much better this way.

#13 2014-02-16 15:04:45

MMaster

colorfusion wrote:

Yep, money has stopped piling up in my house so easily after the UI change. At first I was left wondering how I was going to make money, but after two successful robberies of houses above mine I now realise; the game seems much better this way.

I'm not sure yet. I was that kind of person that enjoyed making houses: high value - high risk, but now it seems I'm forced to go out and risk my life as nobody walks around my house anymore :-)

#14 2014-02-16 15:04:46

noxalis

its definitely not as populated as it was a week ago.

#15 2014-02-17 00:56:31

MMaster

Ok now I see that the jump is huge compared to last week. I've had 0 kills this night with 300 house. Just 4 people came and turned around. Something is wrong.

Edit: Last week I've had ~10000 over night with starter house with several houses I started. I don't believe that so many people stopped playing it in that short time. I'm curious how this will go, but currently it seems house making is not profitable anymore sad

Last edited by MMaster (2014-02-17 01:33:29)

#16 2014-02-17 03:57:58

colorfusion

MMaster wrote:

Ok now I see that the jump is huge compared to last week. I've had 0 kills this night with 300 house. Just 4 people came and turned around. Something is wrong.

Edit: Last week I've had ~10000 over night with starter house with several houses I started. I don't believe that so many people stopped playing it in that short time. I'm curious how this will go, but currently it seems house making is not profitable anymore sad

It's not too much of a difference. If you start with $300 then very few people are attracted to your house, overnight you're likely to get loads of money if a few people initially die in your house or almost none at all if you aren't lucky with those initial players to kick start it off.

Solely making a house and waiting for bounties was only really temporarily possible when there was an influx of new players balancing it out by rushing into those houses, which made it really easy to just sit in your house and never actually rob. The game needs robbers and builders though, so now that new players are either quitting or starting to settle down it's less of a powerful strategy to sit in your defences and wait. The game should hopefully auto-balance and encourage players to rob more.

#17 2014-02-17 09:59:38

MMaster

colorfusion wrote:
MMaster wrote:

It's not too much of a difference. If you start with $300 then very few people are attracted to your house, overnight you're likely to get loads of money if a few people initially die in your house or almost none at all if you aren't lucky with those initial players to kick start it off.

Solely making a house and waiting for bounties was only really temporarily possible when there was an influx of new players balancing it out by rushing into those houses, which made it really easy to just sit in your house and never actually rob. The game needs robbers and builders though, so now that new players are either quitting or starting to settle down it's less of a powerful strategy to sit in your defences and wait. The game should hopefully auto-balance and encourage players to rob more.

Looks like you are right. I was just used to have lots of curious scouts in my starter houses so it was suspicious to have almost no visits. Everything is back to normal, I think it was because of weekend smile

Board footer