The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-25 10:20:54

Jabloko

Bugs are nasty

My last house ended with a magic-dance involving a leap of faith at the end. When I pressed the last buttons that made me reach the vault the screen ran dark as it usually does when the vault is touched, but this time, it had our favourite "you died" message on it.

Now, if I die for real, the screen should freeze and display "x device killed you" and I have to press "accept" in order to proceed, but that clearly didn't happen (trust me, I died many-many times, I know what I'm talking about). I was pressing no other buttons than "down-down-down", so if I died, I should not have been able to get out without clicking. In other words, I never saw myself lying on the bottom of a pit, and I think I even saw the electric floors flashing before the screen went black (no, they could not have turned on before I reached the trapdoor, as they can only turn on either after 2 moves, or at the leap of faith, if things are done right)

I really-really liked that house y'know. It's disappointing that such buggies can murder one when he took all precautions.

PLEASE, PLEASE I want my stuff back! This is the second time this happens.

Last edited by Jabloko (2014-02-25 10:27:37)

#2 2014-02-25 12:12:36

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Bugs are nasty

I looked at the code, and the only way "You died" is displayed is if your CLIENT decides that you died before it even sends the moves to the server (and then after the server gets the moves and sends back OK, the client shows "You died."  but it already decided that you died before it even communicated with the server).  In all other cases (server-side death due to a bug or otherwise), there should be some other error message (house check-in failed).

So, it sounds like this is a very mysterious bug.

Please send me the recordedGame file that shows this happening:  jasonrohrer@fastmail.fm

You can also watch the recording yourself, which might give you some idea of why it happened.

If you're on Steam, there is a pinned thread in the Steam forums that will help you find your game folder.

#3 2014-02-25 12:30:47

Jabloko

This is strange. My last recording of me in that house doesn't show anything after 50%, xcept that I'm offline, and the recording stops at 93.5% Does this mean that I died because I went offline, and the client only caught up when I supposedly "got out"?

#4 2014-02-25 12:41:33

jasonrohrer
Administrator

What do you mean "went offline"?

You mean, you walked away from the game for a while?

Or your disconnected from the network?

If you timed out, the message would be "You died due to inactivity" but this can only happen if you go idle for a long time in the middle of the self test.

Please send me whatever recording you have!

#5 2014-02-25 12:48:32

Jabloko

It shows the red ! in the top right corner, and nothing else until 93,5. the last thing you see is that I click on the "back to house" button.

I did not walk away, I was scared sh*tless testing a house that killed about 50 people big_smile.

I sent you my last 5 recordings, I think 80 or 81 should be the guilty ones.

edit: 6 recordings

Last edited by Jabloko (2014-02-25 12:51:36)

#6 2014-02-25 13:36:09

Jabloko

Okay, on 78, you can see my house and my paranoid behaviour in detail.
on 79, I check back for bounties
aaaand 80 is funny. it does not show me discovering that one of my cats is dead, replacing her, initiating a self-test, and than having a funny death. I can assure you I wasn't staring at the name list for no reason.
On 81 onwards, you see me with a new house.
My death is not captured in any of those, and unless I learned how to programme and create fake recording when I was sleepwalking, I can't fake them tongue.

#7 2014-02-25 13:53:33

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, so which recording shows your death?

#8 2014-02-25 13:58:42

Jabloko

none. Since I'm alive on 79, and I have a new house on 81, than I must be dead on 80, but as you can see for yourself, that tape does not show me dying.

Board footer