The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-26 12:05:15

BoxDrunken

I just relaized what this game is missing that would change everything

Mail...

The ability to send someone a letter, now some may say people would then be able to collude and collaborate together  but that already happens and it can't be stopped. Its easy to figure someones name out based on how much cash they have. SO being able to send letter's between players wouldn't be game breaking. But it would... Create an identity for you and your home, For example i was just scouting this person out about 8 visits i did in a matter of 20 mins i like to play it safe, He was online and saw this and quickly spent 4000 to drop under the value of my time/tools but being able to send him a message saying "you may have eluded me this time but i have my eye on you" would be pretty cool then he may even get the balls to come scout me out. Just an idea i think it would be pretty cool.

#2 2014-02-26 12:17:20

Americans17

Re: I just relaized what this game is missing that would change everything

i think the idea to send messages/chat would be awesome

#3 2014-02-26 12:23:13

colorfusion

The ability to give other players messages has been discussed quite a few times, this was the latest topic on it: http://thecastledoctrine.net/forums/vie … php?id=773

#4 2014-02-26 12:43:40

PlasmaChroma

I can imagine a lot of cursing at other players.  Full out FFA PvP style doesn't generally encourage the best in communication.  Maybe this community is slightly more mature, but in general I'm thinking this would just offend more people than it would add actual value.

If there was at least some small postage cost it would at least cut down on totally random insults, so maybe that would be a workable solution.

#5 2014-02-26 14:29:12

42dustman

You know what I would like? A spray paint that you could use for tagging the house you're robbing, that would be cool.

Self-testing is torture.

#6 2014-02-26 14:33:09

LiteS

Or a bulldozer for demolishing foreclosed homes!

#7 2014-02-26 14:34:49

StefanLindskog

My wife wants a mirror.

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#8 2014-02-26 19:50:28

Storm

that would be fun, mail a letter and it costs $1 or something in postage. would add more interaction with your neighbors. could choose to send anonymously or with a return address...

#9 2014-02-27 10:36:17

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, I purposely kept all direct communication out of the game for some pretty obvious reasons.

It's not that I mind direct, "obscene" harassment so much, or that I want to protect "innocent" people from abuse, but that I feel like it would detract from the atmosphere and mystery of the game.  That's part of the reason why there are period-specific names assigned in the game instead of xxxOOO_*_*_L337_HANDLEZ_*_*_OOOxxx.

Did any of you ever play Journey?  Pretty amazing in terms of a very consistent and smooth multiplayer integration (so much so that it was hard to tell you were playing with another human---many people didn't even realize it).... BUT, they spoiled at the end when they gave you a list of PSN handles that you played with.  At least they had sense enough to keep those out of the game itself.

#10 2014-02-27 20:03:24

Storm

mail using the in-game name assigned to you that you only have until you die. which is still not linked to anything else. box is talking about immersing more in his 'character' by interacting with other peoples characters. not obscene or harassment, building a dialogue with his neighbors while still being in line with everything else in the game. add chilled prohibitions to letter mailing as well...

not really sure why it would be "good" to cause people to mistake players for NPC's... you goin for a feigned AI man? thats cheating.

Last edited by Storm (2014-02-27 20:19:06)

#11 2014-02-27 22:15:15

protox13

I say we need catnip to draw cats in your LoS toward you. Seriously!

#12 2014-02-28 01:59:36

Kimenzar

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yeah, I purposely kept all direct communication out of the game for some pretty obvious reasons.

It's not that I mind direct, "obscene" harassment so much, or that I want to protect "innocent" people from abuse, but that I feel like it would detract from the atmosphere and mystery of the game.  That's part of the reason why there are period-specific names assigned in the game instead of xxxOOO_*_*_L337_HANDLEZ_*_*_OOOxxx.

Did any of you ever play Journey?  Pretty amazing in terms of a very consistent and smooth multiplayer integration (so much so that it was hard to tell you were playing with another human---many people didn't even realize it).... BUT, they spoiled at the end when they gave you a list of PSN handles that you played with.  At least they had sense enough to keep those out of the game itself.

42dustman wrote:

You know what I would like? A spray paint that you could use for tagging the house you're robbing, that would be cool.

In journey everyone have his sign, so we wait =P

#13 2014-02-28 12:25:25

JoyOfTrapping

protox13 wrote:

I say we need catnip to draw cats in your LoS toward you. Seriously!

LOOOL!

No man, no.  We cannot have catnip.  Seriously.  I am way too cat obsessed for that.  I would probably just end up holing up in a crappy house with a bunch of cats in stupid situations that were extremely non-lethal, and spend all my time out in the neighborhood going on Cat Interaction Runs, where I would just bring tons of catnip and try to pet as many cats as possible.

This cannot happen.

YT: www.youtube.com/user/JoyOfTrapping - The Bushido Code of Castle Doctrine:
Death  --> Observation --> Knowledge --> Power  --> Application --> Testing --> Skill
Seriousness --> Caution --> Deliberation --> Clearer Thinking --> More Success --> Less Frustration
Lack of Attachment to Results --> Lighthearted Play --> Respect for Enemies --> No Anger After Failures --> Faster Skill Building

#14 2014-03-01 19:44:48

Vegeta9001

I cannot imagine the spammer...

#15 2014-03-01 22:05:24

AMWhy

I'm sure I read the idea on the forum here before, but the communication could be from a set list of sentences/phrases. If the player wants to send a message before they commit suicide, or perhaps before they exit the house after a failed robbery attempt, they click a button titled 'message' and choose from a drop down list of messages to send.

Example sentences that could be left:

-The complexity of your house has bested me.
-You were lucky I did not have any more meat.
-I admire your house.
-I'll be back.
-I'm sorry.
-Revenge is sweet.

I'm sure the forum members can think of many more that would convey different feelings about dying / failing to rob a house, as well as killing the wife / kids in a house.

Board footer