The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-02-28 18:26:05

Killer Mosquito

Re: Why people love so much magic dances?

Personally, the ingenuity of the game is what led me to buy it.  Why not just make it completely equal and remove electronics?  Because it's boring.

If you want to ban a trap.  Ban this one: http://castledraft.com/editor/7Gyy1I   (This is pure example, I'm not actually suggesting that anything needs to be banned... I like the game the way it is.)

That trap is cheap enough to spam all throughout your house.  Ultimately, it's your choice to turn the corner.  If this trap is in the middle of the path to the vault, and you've passed 5 commit gates and you have a pit bull on your back, it was your decision to come this far.  It's your risk.  It always is.  Even if it's only on the first step,there is always a point where you can turn back and say "Nah, I'm good."

It's like chess.  Everyone has the same pieces.  You just have to hope your defense is better than their attack and that your attack is better than their defense.

Unknown.... thanks Blip
Unknown again because I thought I'd go on a no-tool revenge run on Blip.  Silly me........
Never risk what you aren't willing to lose.
Be willing to lose everything.

#27 2014-02-28 19:43:21

Amatiel

Killer Mosquito wrote:

Personally, the ingenuity of the game is what led me to buy it.  Why not just make it completely equal and remove electronics?  Because it's boring.

If you want to ban a trap.  Ban this one: http://castledraft.com/editor/7Gyy1I   (This is pure example, I'm not actually suggesting that anything needs to be banned... I like the game the way it is.)

That trap is cheap enough to spam all throughout your house.  Ultimately, it's your choice to turn the corner.  If this trap is in the middle of the path to the vault, and you've passed 5 commit gates and you have a pit bull on your back, it was your decision to come this far.  It's your risk.  It always is.  Even if it's only on the first step,there is always a point where you can turn back and say "Nah, I'm good."

It's like chess.  Everyone has the same pieces.  You just have to hope your defense is better than their attack and that your attack is better than their defense.

that trap costs a fraction to escape compared to what we are discussing. single wire cutters and you are free. They cant be compared

Current Name: Darryl Gary Breeden

Died to self test yet again..... FFS..... ill be back

#28 2014-02-28 20:02:17

Killer Mosquito

Oh, sorry.  I guess I misunderstood the issue.  I thought you were talking about the fairness of being able to solve a trap or the frustration of getting caught in an impossible trap (unless you know the secret).  In that case, how much would the cost-to-escape have to be for the trap to be considered fair game in your opinion?

Unknown.... thanks Blip
Unknown again because I thought I'd go on a no-tool revenge run on Blip.  Silly me........
Never risk what you aren't willing to lose.
Be willing to lose everything.

#29 2014-02-28 21:05:54

Americans17

MMaster wrote:

I love magic dance traps. They are fun to figure out. Combo locks are easy to figure out (if you have tools).
You say that you use choose 1 door from many and say combo locks are cancer :-D

EDIT: Why people use them? Because they are cheap and provide high complexity. Just break the walls somewhere around where the cat/dog is and take a note of the buttons and then figure it out. It's usually not that hard.

Of course if you do suicide running it's bad for you as you can't get back, but when you go carefully so you can leave when you want you can actually break it - figure out how it works and come again better prepared.

EDIT: Amatiel you write it to almost every thread that if anyone is using combo lock or magic dance you will not come to their house. That's fine .. there are thousands of others. But if you could please stop writing that over and over that would be great. Magic dances are great and I love figuring them out, combo locks are just crossings with lots of ways to go where only one way is correct and they can be broken and bypassed (or you can break it and look at the combination for next time). Nothing too difficult. It can be difficult if cleverly combined, but still it can be passed (believe me I broke into 2 houses from top 8 yesterday).

How you figure out a magic dance if the floor is full of electric floors, there are no walls near and a cat already has seen you, that traps are cancer.

#30 2014-03-01 03:18:31

MMaster

Americans17 wrote:
MMaster wrote:

I love magic dance traps. They are fun to figure out. Combo locks are easy to figure out (if you have tools).
You say that you use choose 1 door from many and say combo locks are cancer :-D

EDIT: Why people use them? Because they are cheap and provide high complexity. Just break the walls somewhere around where the cat/dog is and take a note of the buttons and then figure it out. It's usually not that hard.

Of course if you do suicide running it's bad for you as you can't get back, but when you go carefully so you can leave when you want you can actually break it - figure out how it works and come again better prepared.

EDIT: Amatiel you write it to almost every thread that if anyone is using combo lock or magic dance you will not come to their house. That's fine .. there are thousands of others. But if you could please stop writing that over and over that would be great. Magic dances are great and I love figuring them out, combo locks are just crossings with lots of ways to go where only one way is correct and they can be broken and bypassed (or you can break it and look at the combination for next time). Nothing too difficult. It can be difficult if cleverly combined, but still it can be passed (believe me I broke into 2 houses from top 8 yesterday).

How you figure out a magic dance if the floor is full of electric floors, there are no walls near and a cat already has seen you, that traps are cancer.

You figure it out just like any other trap in this game - you use your tools(wire cutters/water) and your brain to either find out how the buttons are connected so you can freely pass next time or just brute force through it. Or just turn around and go to any other house. I don't know why all of you think that you should pass house on first try. On first try I just break this trap find out how it works and return home. Then come back and pass it without any trouble when I know how it works.
I guess most of people just take tools for all the money and die there as they can't return because death is better than $0. That is the main issue what makes you think that you should be able to figure out the trap on first try.
Don't go into houses that you know are too difficult to solve! Leave it to players that have more money than you to break the trap and figure it out.

Board footer