The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-02 01:12:27

42dustman

Mr.Obvious's tactics.

Mr. Obvious's magic dance: The button is right after the empty tile besides the dog, in the immediate area you can't see.
Mr. Obvious's electric floor corridor: 3 steps forward, one step backwards, repeat.
Mr. Obvious's commitment trap: Electric floors discouraging you from taking the path to the pitbull that will spot you through a window when you go the "right" way.
Mr. Obvious's corridor-of-many-doors: Never one the first ones, usually the penultimate or antepenultimate.
Mr. Obvious's dead end: Cheaper and less trap filled than the other way.
Mr. Obvious's combination lock: The buttons in the corners are never among the right ones, try an alternation the ones in the middle.
Mr. Obvious's vault location: In the corner that is the furthest away from the first corridor.

Self-testing is torture.

#2 2014-03-02 01:52:14

Suedeo

Re: Mr.Obvious's tactics.

Applause to "g0m" for his contribution to page 2 of the "Common Trap Mechanics" thread:

g0m wrote:

Here are a few ones I've run into, as well as one of my own:

God's Scalpel
sGifALU.png
A great addition to any system, no matter how early or late in your house's life cycle. I couldn't tell you how many times I've used this at the end of a long series of traps, and seen someone navigate them all perfectly... only to fall at the final hurdle. It's a pretty good feeling, and it'll rack up those bounties in no time. Definitely recommended.
If you're up against this one...

• Your instinct when you see this is to hold right and run into the electric panel. Don't. Move up or down, then move right, then move down or up again, depending on which way you moved first.

• If the player has disabled vertical movement via a wall-based system, you have a few options. You can try to cut through the wall using a saw/explosives etc, or you can bring some water along to short out the panel.

• The light and wispy appearance of spiderwebs belie their horrible taste. Do NOT eat them.

The Meat Cleaver
0At86ZR.png
Simple. Cheap. Devilishly effective. I haven't built a single house without using this trap, and it works 90-95% of the time. Perversely, this is one of the few traps that works better on seasoned players as it relies upon subverting learned expectations, so you might want to combine it with a few dogs for the newbies.

• Every human instinct telling you to follow the direction that arrow is pointing? Think again, my friend; if you look closer, you'll see a pit there.

• While glass is easily breakable with bricks, there might be a wall behind the glass. Luckily, windows are see-through.

• Death in the castle doctrine loses you your house and all your money. Not recommended.

The Swedish Rutabaga
GNVHUyK.png
This is an ADVANCED TECHNIQUE ONLY, because unless you're a veteran of the game, there's a fair chance you'll die on this one during testing. If you do decide to go for this one, you might want to put it past a one-way path trap - either a door that closes behind you or an electric panel that activates - because if you've been playing for any amount of time, you're going to want to get the hell out of there as soon as you see this.

• I can't give you any help on this one. You're going to have to muddle through, bring plenty of tools, and hope for the best. Good luck.

What you are building is dangerous.

#3 2014-03-02 04:16:22

StefanLindskog

Hahaha!

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#4 2014-03-02 11:01:35

Vegeta9001

That's some intense trap system even more deadly than a angry chihuahua.

lNPkxc1.jpg

I would bail out as soon as I see one of those deadly trap even with a 100k worth of tools.

Last edited by Vegeta9001 (2014-03-03 09:53:39)

#5 2014-03-02 17:15:44

JoyOfTrapping

42dustman wrote:

Mr. Obvious's magic dance: ...

What Everybody's Body Is Saying: A Book On Nonverbal Cues, and What They Mean In Terms of Obvious Traps.  By Former FBI Interrogator, JoyOfTrapping.

Mr. Obvious's magic dance: The button is right after the empty tile besides the dog, in the immediate area you can't see.

What your adversary is telling you:  Is this how you build one? / When I have to count wooden walls my eyes cross and I start thinking about ponies.

Mr. Obvious's electric floor corridor: 3 steps forward, one step backwards, repeat.

What your adversary is telling you:  Dying during self-test brings out my latent suicidal feelings and I am determined to avoid that at all costs.

Mr. Obvious's commitment trap: Electric floors discouraging you from taking the path to the pitbull that will spot you through a window when you go the "right" way.

What your adversary is telling you:  I defend things that are important to me and I am not subtle.  Don't bring too many bricks and meat, that window was my ace in the hole.

Mr. Obvious's corridor-of-many-doors: Never one the first ones, usually the penultimate or antepenultimate.

What your adversary is telling you:  I built a design with 2-3 thousand dollars.  My vault was behind the second door until I got more money for pitbulls.  Now the way to it is the 8th door instead.

Mr. Obvious's dead end: Cheaper and less trap filled than the other way.

What your adversary is telling you:  I want to practice deception like the pros, but I am short on time, smarts, or money.

Mr. Obvious's combination lock: The buttons in the corners are never among the right ones, try an alternation the ones in the middle.

What your adversary is telling you:  2 4 6, pick up sticks.  2 4 6, pick up sticks.  Just don't die during self-test...

Mr. Obvious's vault location: In the corner that is the furthest away from the first corridor.

What your adversary is telling you:  It is always best to fill your house up with as much crap as possible.  More is better, right?

Last edited by JoyOfTrapping (2014-03-02 17:16:33)

YT: www.youtube.com/user/JoyOfTrapping - The Bushido Code of Castle Doctrine:
Death  --> Observation --> Knowledge --> Power  --> Application --> Testing --> Skill
Seriousness --> Caution --> Deliberation --> Clearer Thinking --> More Success --> Less Frustration
Lack of Attachment to Results --> Lighthearted Play --> Respect for Enemies --> No Anger After Failures --> Faster Skill Building

Board footer