The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-05 16:47:08

TheRealCheese

Newb questions about clocks

Am I correct that this would light the floors and open the door every 8th turn?
http://castledraft.com/editor/t4EOoK
I know the circuit after the clock could probably be made smaller, but could the clock itself be made smaller?

#2 2014-03-09 06:38:39

joshwithguitar

Re: Newb questions about clocks

For the first question - the best way to figure out if something works is to build it and give it a go. You can even run experiments with an established house - just delete large parts and then quit out of the game to reset your house once you've finished.

In this case it won't work - firstly clocks don't work like this. The clock will only send a single substep "pulse" every 8 turns and this isn't enough to cause full power. To turn it into full power you need to use something like a bit storage unit, but this will create continuous power from then on. If you want something to be on every 8 turns  the easiest way is to connect it in such a way that it will power whenever every bit is in a particular state. This can be done by making the bits power voltage and inverted switches that the power must pass through.

Secondly, as electric floors conduct power the door can never be open when they are on. Pit traps would be more useful (though expensive) here.

For the second question - I'd say the clock is as small as you'll get it to achieve this without thinking up a better binary counter bit design than my one.

#3 2014-03-09 08:48:03

TheRealCheese

Thanks JWG, I found all this out when my house at the moment fell and I actually built this wink I felt dumb for the floor bordering up to doors part, but what can you do, hehe.
I don't understand clocks well enough to modify them in a way that they will work like I wanted, is there somewhere I can see a circuit that works in that way?

#4 2014-03-09 15:10:07

joshwithguitar

Something like this should do the job:
http://castledraft.com/editor/NmKALQ

#5 2014-03-09 15:12:07

TheRealCheese

Won't that be 8off 8on though? I would like something that turns on for one turn every eight turn (or at a different set interval.)

#6 2014-03-12 22:57:47

joshwithguitar

No, it will work exactly as you want it - every 8th turn the door will open and the pits will close.

The power will only get through when every bit is off, otherwise it will be blocked by one of the inverted switches. This only happens once every 8 turns. If you'd like it to happen at a different point along the 8 turn cycle you can replace some of the inverted switches with standard voltage switches - any combination will only let power  through once during the 8 turn cycle.

If you still don't understand build it and watch the behaviour of the inverted switches and you should get what I mean.

#7 2014-03-13 23:48:47

TheRealCheese

Thank you kindly, JWG, I had given up on clocks for a while, but when my current trap is done, I might play some more with clocks for the second one.

Board footer