The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-03 13:03:05

Vegeta9001

A little idea than could make the game a little more fun, maybe? ;)

It's a simple idea...

The options to names pets like Pit Bulls, Chihuahua and cats and the options to know how many robber they personally killed.

I always play like this, I see a robber die in my house and I'm like oh there you go Chuck got his 4th kill and Norris is at 6 kills. tongue

But sometime it's hard to remember their name and how many kill their all have I have to write all of it down. (I like doing this for some reason.)

It would be even *MOAR* amazing to see the amount of kills for each trap like electric floor and pit and how many suicide in which room and so on.

Anyone knows if it's even possible to add this in the game?

Last edited by Vegeta9001 (2014-03-03 13:05:13)

#2 2014-03-03 14:32:34

Suedeo

Re: A little idea than could make the game a little more fun, maybe? ;)

I like this idea, it seems feasible and doesn't impact gameplay.  Might be two different separate tasks to implement for "mobiles" as opposed to "tiles".

I suggest that such information only be displayed to the house owner while in build mode -- A robber couldn't reasonably know pitbull names and electric floor kill counts.

Along these same lines, adding the ability for house owners to perform a one-time name change on living family members would also add "flavor" without changing any mechanics.   I would have a small concern about family members with offensive names, though, which could "spoil immersion".

I think that a good portion of TCD players would like this feature, though I'd probably stick with the defaults as a self-protection mechanism for the ol' psyche.  I don't even mouse over to see family names until my house has made it through that first night unattended.

I think naming house fixtures would increase the emotional attachment to a house and family, which I think is desirable, but I think we're already pretty attached to our houses smile  I still think this would be a fun upgrade to add without breaking the current game balance (which seems pretty great to me right now).

What you are building is dangerous.

#3 2014-03-03 14:42:02

Vegeta9001

If these options was real then, the Kill Counts on the Pit Bulls I called *Jaw of Steel* would probably be around 20-30 easy. lol

#4 2014-03-05 09:02:44

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well... I don't think I'd want people to type their own names.... because then we'd get Kanye West and other era/theme-breaking names in there.

I suppose I could auto-generate them from some kind of national list of pet names from 1991, like I do for the family names.... does such a list exist?  I dunno, though.... for those 100-cat houses, it would get pretty ridiculous!

#5 2014-03-05 17:10:32

Lord0fHam

I think he wants only the owner of the house to see the kill counts. For one, this eliminates any problem of house elements beign given away, adn also, then it doesnt matter what the name of the pet is.

It's a trap!

#6 2014-03-05 20:16:22

nathan

jasonrohrer wrote:

Well... I don't think I'd want people to type their own names.... because then we'd get Kanye West and other era/theme-breaking names in there.

I suppose I could auto-generate them from some kind of national list of pet names from 1991, like I do for the family names.... does such a list exist?  I dunno, though.... for those 100-cat houses, it would get pretty ridiculous!

I found a list of the top 100 names for cats and dogs, but I'm not sure when it's from.
http://www.babynames.com/Names/Pets/

"I just robbed Mr. Rogers." -Ludicrosity "The wood is my desk, and I'm knocking it with my head." -Blip
"I'd rather pack 25 meats than 1 crowbar if you know what I mean..." -Jabloko
"This is one of the most disturbed things I have seen in quite a while. I blame global warming." -bey bey
"that seems like more resources than I'm willing to put into having my kids killed." -cbenny

Board footer