The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-09 01:21:06

Nakula

Can someone help me robbing this house?

i brute forced this far, and did some scouting then backed out. heres what i found [DELETED]. i cant find out for the life of me how to get past the powered trap door or the powered door without tools. any pro advice?

Last edited by Nakula (2014-03-09 17:02:34)

#2 2014-03-09 01:33:49

42dustman

Re: Can someone help me robbing this house?

The cat must surely be the one that locks the powered door. Maybe if you go straight to the top north corner as soon as you enter the house you can get him stuck in the lower part.

EDIT: On a second look I don't think that would work, That empty upper area must be for a 'magic dance' the cat is probably stepping on a combo lock back there.

Last edited by 42dustman (2014-03-09 01:39:14)

Self-testing is torture.

#3 2014-03-09 01:47:17

Nakula

i dont understand how going up would change the cats walking pattern, isnt that pretty exclusive to following animals? perhaps you have to walk straight to that powered door without any deviations and on the next step through the cat gets it closed? any other theories?

Last edited by Nakula (2014-03-09 18:44:28)

#4 2014-03-09 02:06:35

42dustman

Nakula wrote:

i dont understand how going up would change the cats walking pattern, isnt that pretty exlusive to following animals? perhaps you have to walk straight to that powered door without any deviations and on the next step through the cat gets it closed? any other theories?

The cat is just like the chihuahua and the pitbull and he keeps responding to your movements even after visual contact has been broken, the only difference is that  he moves away from you (if you're above him he will try to move down and if you're below him he will try to move up, etc.).

Self-testing is torture.

#5 2014-03-09 02:20:58

Nakula

ya i know that, but dont magic dances require movement in 2 different directions to work? a cat simply runs away, never turns around. id call "magic dances" involving cats more like simple clocks right? where your step "count" affects things as opposed to pattern. which brings me back to the theory that going up would not make a difference in the cats desired path

edit: on second thought maybe theres a button placed directly up after it enters the door that closes it, and if you walk up, the cat will walk down instead (perhaps into a pit?) i still wouldnt call that a magic dance, but it does solidify your theory of going up solving the puzzle

Last edited by Nakula (2014-03-09 02:24:12)

#6 2014-03-09 02:49:48

42dustman

In that situation the cat would have preference for moving only to the right, yes, but if he hits an obstacle that prevents him from going right then (unless he's perfectly aligned with the burglar) he would start moving up or down, whatever is further away from the burglar. He could make a comb lock out of that by doing something more or less like this:

http://castledraft.com/editor/Grt2Ns

Last edited by 42dustman (2014-03-09 18:40:17)

Self-testing is torture.

#7 2014-03-09 03:24:30

Nakula

holy shit. that is next level, i wouldnt have thought that was possible. i cant wait to explore beyond that wall and see what he did now

#8 2014-03-09 09:20:27

BoxDrunken

storm's house.... Good luck my friend.

#9 2014-03-09 10:04:19

JoyOfTrapping

Nakula's name is Stuart John Potts!  Stuart John Potts!  Shun the meta-gamer!  Shun the power-gamer!  Noble house of Storm now has many mind of human foe forming allied laser beam of mental power focused against it!  Rob the house of The Foule Stuart John Potts!  Balance the scales back against the meta-gamer!  Justice!  Repent!

YT: www.youtube.com/user/JoyOfTrapping - The Bushido Code of Castle Doctrine:
Death  --> Observation --> Knowledge --> Power  --> Application --> Testing --> Skill
Seriousness --> Caution --> Deliberation --> Clearer Thinking --> More Success --> Less Frustration
Lack of Attachment to Results --> Lighthearted Play --> Respect for Enemies --> No Anger After Failures --> Faster Skill Building

#10 2014-03-09 11:44:38

Nakula

soooooo whos storm

#11 2014-03-09 11:57:49

LiteS

JoyOfTrapping wrote:

Nakula's name is Stuart John Potts!  Stuart John Potts!  Shun the meta-gamer!  Shun the power-gamer!  Noble house of Storm now has many mind of human foe forming allied laser beam of mental power focused against it!  Rob the house of The Foule Stuart John Potts!  Balance the scales back against the meta-gamer!  Justice!  Repent!

Hmm, so what's the meta-meta-game code say about posting Stuart's house?

#12 2014-03-09 14:52:22

Suedeo

I think it's uncouth to go begging for solutions to a house you can't solve. 

If you want to learn a trap or pet mechanic, discuss it, learn it, but I don't see why one player needs to be involuntarily singled out.

If the forum sets a precedent of rewarding the OP with free vaults, it can expect to see many more threads just like this one, and one day it'll be your own precious family and belongings under the microscope.

What you are building is dangerous.

#13 2014-03-09 17:05:23

Nakula

your actually very right suedeo. i feel bad about it now. i guess i was just kinda baffled by the house and wanted some advice, but i didnt think of the long term repercussions. i edited my original post and deleted the castledraft link. so its up to 42dustman if he wants to keep it on this thread or not. next time if i need help ill just post the 1 section/trap that confuses me

#14 2014-03-09 17:52:15

Suedeo

Hey Nakula, I'm humbled by your response.  In hindsight I feel that my post was harsh because you were simply asking the questions a lot of people are thinking about, and you also brought to light a rare pet trick we can all learn from.

Your post was also solid and full of content and raised an interesting discussion, and the replies were on point.  Expressing a different viewpoint is the limit of my control over this kind of stuff... If "The Neighborhood" of Castle Doctrine has any behavioral rules at all, I certainly don't dictate them! 

I hope your next robbery is a smashing success.

What you are building is dangerous.

#15 2014-03-09 18:50:02

Nakula

no worries man! you were in the right to call me out. the game is about solving puzzles. what fun is it if others solve them for you? im still kinda new to this game and some stuff, like the house i tried to rob, really didnt make sense to me. im glad we all got to learn something and no ones house is singled out now. thanks for speaking up smile

Board footer