The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-13 01:34:02

SJRH

Cheater or very very lucky? James Michael Ibarra

Robbed for 10,000 (if you include painting value) by James Michael Ibarra who must have been able to reveal the whole board. He had to step onto a certain square on move 23 and managed it without any trial and error deaths. Annoying.

#2 2013-04-13 05:51:37

SmokestormX

Re: Cheater or very very lucky? James Michael Ibarra

I got robbed for 20k+ by a John Robert Stanley , had to guess a pattern matching puzzle, upon watching you think , but no priors attempts caught on tape also.. and if this was legit he would of also had certain items on him to get out undetected. Like he could just watch My Own Security tape of me doing it. There was something in the playback that made be believe that even if he could see my whole map, he still wouldnt have taken the step that I took upon running through it, I do it a certain way in my playback that is unneccesary and he took those unneccesary steps also.

#3 2013-04-13 06:14:44

Matrix

Hard to say without seeing more data, but Jason can check things like this. The owner only gets to see the security tapes where someone died or where the money was stolen. But Jason can check even "probe" attempts. He also knows when different names are the same player so if you think that they might have been cheating mail Jason and report them as suspicious.

SmokestormX wrote:

I got robbed for 20k+ by a John Robert Stanley , had to guess a pattern matching puzzle, upon watching you think , but no priors attempts caught on tape also.. and if this was legit he would of also had certain items on him to get out undetected. Like he could just watch My Own Security tape of me doing it. There was something in the playback that made be believe that even if he could see my whole map, he still wouldnt have taken the step that I took upon running through it, I do it a certain way in my playback that is unneccesary and he took those unneccesary steps also.

If your design doesn't require the robber to die to get feedback then your house can still get breached with 0 deaths. As long as the attempt count was in line with the complexity of the trap then it's possible to go [30 0] and get the money stolen. In this case there will be only 1 security tape of course; the one where the money gets stolen. You get to see only the security tapes where someone died or where the money was stolen.

Can you share the entrance part of your trap? I just want to see the "type".

Last edited by Matrix (2013-04-13 06:19:32)

#4 2013-04-13 07:51:08

SJRH

Mine was like the below link, but not quite the same... no way to get feedback without death. There is definitely a known exploit where you can view the whole map before attempting.

http://castlefortify.com/?id=9a66737

#5 2013-04-13 17:12:25

Nystical

Well they probably tried a lot and died, "0 deaths" of course they would have 0 deaths, how else could they rob your house? a ghost?

#6 2013-04-13 17:24:13

pavram

I robbed a house very similar to that design that had 5 paintings.

I believe it may have been this house;  The design was good but not foolproof.
I also died about 15 times testing.

There was an inverted voltage thing that I could see through the diagonal walls (you can actually see slightly further than you often think - for instance a single thickness wall allows you to see 2 squares beyond it; not just 1 like most think.
It was difficult and time consuming, but I didn't cheat.  (just to confirm it was your house; there was a powered door south of the entrance right? - I ran around to look at the design after breaking through - does that sound right?).

I have done a few robberies now where time + enough tools can break you into a house.  In fact; the house I had robbed before this had 70k and 1 painting; which took me zero deaths; as I could leave after investigating;  It did cost my 7k and about 30 attempts over 45 minutes to map the wires and infer what I couldn't see.

This design is ok; but when it comes down to it it is a timer, and the fact that there was a voltage inverter just within sight told me it was either a secret dance or a toggle.  I believe on step 20 or so moving back and forth from the 4th square would have the voltage inverter start flipping back and forth; it was this that told me it wasn't a dance and was a single button, and that I had to stand at the last square to await my exit.  I died several times after learning that; trying to time my exit just right.  But when it came down to it it was only a small window of time to brute force.

#7 2013-04-13 17:56:18

pavram

You wanna know lucky?

Just went online and found I had been robbed.  Now all my buttons and toggles are off-screen;  I believe it took him 3 attempts; each time he knew my code; but the first 2 times he was hit by the timer I had.  I know the method of his hacking; to which I believe there is no real solution.

#8 2013-04-13 18:05:53

vraeden

pavram wrote:

I robbed a house very similar to that design that had 5 paintings.

I believe it may have been this house;  The design was good but not foolproof.
I also died about 15 times testing.

There was an inverted voltage thing that I could see through the diagonal walls (you can actually see slightly further than you often think - for instance a single thickness wall allows you to see 2 squares beyond it; not just 1 like most think.
It was difficult and time consuming, but I didn't cheat.  (just to confirm it was your house; there was a powered door south of the entrance right? - I ran around to look at the design after breaking through - does that sound right?).

I have done a few robberies now where time + enough tools can break you into a house.  In fact; the house I had robbed before this had 70k and 1 painting; which took me zero deaths; as I could leave after investigating;  It did cost my 7k and about 30 attempts over 45 minutes to map the wires and infer what I couldn't see.

This design is ok; but when it comes down to it it is a timer, and the fact that there was a voltage inverter just within sight told me it was either a secret dance or a toggle.  I believe on step 20 or so moving back and forth from the 4th square would have the voltage inverter start flipping back and forth; it was this that told me it wasn't a dance and was a single button, and that I had to stand at the last square to await my exit.  I died several times after learning that; trying to time my exit just right.  But when it came down to it it was only a small window of time to brute force.

Haha, that sounds like my house actually.  I didn't think the inverter was so close to the door, but can't say I know for sure...I died trying to fix the house back!

#9 2013-04-14 00:20:07

SJRH

Not my house as I didn't use an inverter. Instead it was a cat that scooted off to the far right and down knocking a switch to give a 1 move window (move 25) that my robber got first time with no trial and error deaths recorded. Have no issue with people trying it hundreds of times to get the cash (you dont know which part will be safe either, up, down, across, where up / down? when?) but my recordings had only 1 death before he got it - that was a guy a while before who just went up right away to test if powered (its fun to build this design and leave out the power and all other off screen parts to see how long it lasts sometimes).

#10 2013-04-14 00:23:03

SJRH

@Pavram - are people accessing the "prove your house is fair" footage somehow??

#11 2013-04-14 02:53:38

votekick

SJRH wrote:

@Pavram - are people accessing the "prove your house is fair" footage somehow??

I know what Pavram is referring to and it's not that.

#12 2013-04-14 13:02:26

Matrix

pavram wrote:

I know the method of his hacking; to which I believe there is no real solution.

For this game there is a solution that is unlikely to ever be implemented, but it's real (it can be done).

Board footer