The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-09 19:17:16

sergio

UX suggestions - include yours

Some suggestions for improving the user experience:

PLAYERS' LIST
- number pagination (so you can click straight on the page you want and not click 5-6 times to go to the bottom of the list, taking a long time and using precious server resources)
- Highlight houses you already robbed or only visited (different colors)
- Filters by range of money in safe and/or number of attempts and/or number of killed

HOUSE BUILDING
- move tool: when you have a built house, it is really annoying if you need to move something but have to pay for it again
- explanation about what each item does
- save initial house setup: since I die so much, I end up building always the same setup in the beginning. Why not make the process automatic smile
- View whole house (or some way to export the house in jpg/png)

#2 2013-04-10 02:45:53

bgorven

Re: UX suggestions - include yours

To be able to put myself first in line to enter my own house when someone's robbing it and they take more than 30 minutes (!) and somebody else starts robbing it straight away before I get a chance to replace that chihuahua with a pit bull.

#3 2013-04-10 18:05:09

sergio

Have the screen move with the character in the center. The amount of times I died because the damn screen rolled to late is just ridiculous.

#4 2013-04-11 03:33:27

Matrix

sergio wrote:

Have the screen move with the character in the center. The amount of times I died because the damn screen rolled to late is just ridiculous.

I think that the current implementation adds an interesting extra mechanic. For example it can be used by a knowledgeable defender in order to limit vision of the robber in interesting ways further increasing the skill cap of the game.
However as it is now the view itself can sometimes also be tricked to gain extra vision that seems originally not possible.

Last edited by Matrix (2013-04-13 06:00:33)

#5 2013-04-13 01:01:12

DrNoid

A progress-indicator for replays, so you can see how long it is and how far in you are.

#6 2013-04-13 15:44:42

twyn

When building, middle clicking an object selects it as your current item, so we can avoid going into the build menu so often.
Making right click clear, or having the clear button more accessible in the interface.

#7 2013-04-13 22:03:54

dalleck

signWIP.png

A wooden sign object would be great.

Can be used to leave messages to thieves and also to give yourself clues and reminders when running your maze.  Can function like a wooden wall and show the message on direction push, but shouldn't take up a movement turn or it would be exploited.

Secondly, even though I am sure Jason is changing the build menu as we speak, I would prefer if some things are shuffled around a bit.

castledoctrinepage1.jpg

I find I am constantly needing to go between pages for certain things.
Here I have placed all the walls and wiring on the first page and the switches and traps on the second.

castledoctrinepage2.jpg

You may also notice electric floors are $150.  It essentially is a reversed electric trapdoor, but can be shorted out and turn off all other connected ones, whilst the trapdoor can only be singularly overcome by ladders, so I have priced it accordingly.

Edit:  However, in considering trapdoors, it got me thinking that a ladder can be placed over both an OPEN and CLOSED trapdoor, however an unpowered electric floor cannot be shorted.  Perhaps this trapdoor behaviour should be changed.

Last edited by dalleck (2013-04-13 23:40:04)

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#8 2013-04-14 13:13:11

Matrix

dalleck wrote:

Edit:  However, in considering trapdoors, it got me thinking that a ladder can be placed over both an OPEN and CLOSED trapdoor, however an unpowered electric floor cannot be shorted.  Perhaps this trapdoor behaviour should be changed.

No, the unpowered electric floor behaviour should be changed. I think a tool will be able to deal with unpowered electric floors in the new version. At the moment they are broken.
Their price should be $10.000 each in their current state.

#9 2013-04-15 05:28:50

sergio

twyn wrote:

When building, middle clicking an object selects it as your current item, so we can avoid going into the build menu so often.
Making right click clear, or having the clear button more accessible in the interface.

This would be super awesome!

Board footer