The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-07 06:54:33

Raisane

ideas for new objects (feel free to add your own ideas)

these are just rough ideas, not refined at all:
-a scanner which will show you where the safe is (but nothing else)

-a map protection square, (you can make a part of your room invisible on maps, but not your whole room)

-battery charged electric floor, (the battery will charge once the electric floor has been given electricity once, the moment the electricity goes offline, the floor gets electricity from the battery, resulting in it being powered for another X amount of turns)

-a pole within which you can skip an empty square (so not one with an electric floor / button etc), this can be used to avoid pitbulls / being a step ahead on traps made by pitbulls/dogs/cats

adding (expensive) gear to the game:
-running shoes (every 3 squares you walk, dogs/pitbulls/family walks 2)
-slime trail boots (pitbulls etc who walk over it, have to stand still for 1 step, after it  the slime on that square goes away) you can activate it X amount of times in a room.
-rubber boots (can safe your ass once on something electric, they will disappear after that)
-mining helmet (your field of vision is a bit higher)
-refined iron necklace (anything using something with iron, like a saw, can be used twice), this item works only on the first item you use with iron in it.

note: these are random ideas, i would be satisfied if only one of them gets realised. (or none, simply my ideas are bad)

#2 2013-04-07 09:26:00

Matrix

Re: ideas for new objects (feel free to add your own ideas)

Raisane wrote:

-rubber boots (can safe your ass once on something electric, they will disappear after that)

I like the idea of items that automatically activate once, if triggered by death danger. They would still take one backpack space.

You already mentioned Rubber Boots that would save you on an Electric Floor once and keep you safe as long as you don't step off it.

Similarly a Grappling Hook would save you once if you would have fallen into a Pit.

#3 2013-04-08 19:06:01

Dinnanid

Raisane wrote:

-a map protection square, (you can make a part of your room invisible on maps, but not your whole room)

I like the idea but it would not currently work as a square (I assume you meen tile) (unless it is hiding an empty space and that is pointless) because Jason would have to add a separate tile type for every tile. Maybe he could add a secondary editor for it.

Raisane wrote:

-battery charged electric floor, (the battery will charge once the electric floor has been given electricity once, the moment the electricity goes offline, the floor gets electricity from the battery, resulting in it being powered for another X amount of turns)

This could easily be stopped by moving back and forth. I admit this might work sometimes but not alot of the time.

Raisane wrote:

-a pole within which you can skip an empty square (so not one with an electric floor / button etc), this can be used to avoid pitbulls / being a step ahead on traps made by pitbulls/dogs/cats

Kind of pointless if you have the boots but it might work if it would allow you to reverse direction by jumping over the animal.

Raisane wrote:

-running shoes (every 3 squares you walk, dogs/pitbulls/family walks 2)

This might be Ok, but since this is turn based it would be kinda awkward to implement. It might as well just teleport you once, in one turn the same amount of spaces.

In general theses are great ideas. Good job!

Last edited by Dinnanid (2013-04-08 19:09:10)

Dinnanid

#4 2013-04-09 01:19:58

DrNoid

- A simple button:
What I miss, and surprised me that it wasn't there, is a simple button. One that is only on when someone/thing (you, cat, dog, family, brick) is on it and turns off again when what presses it moves.

#5 2013-04-09 07:53:35

Raisane

^ i think that should be first on the list of new items the owner should make, it will increase the number of traps people can make a lot.

also another idea which will probably be way too much effort for the little amount it adds:
traps involving sounds, a button that will go on/off (permanently or not) when they hear movement within a certain radius, not only by the person, but also by dogs/cats.

#6 2013-04-09 08:44:34

sergio

DrNoid wrote:

- A simple button:
What I miss, and surprised me that it wasn't there, is a simple button. One that is only on when someone/thing (you, cat, dog, family, brick) is on it and turns off again when what presses it moves.

+1

#7 2013-04-09 09:54:16

Matrix

Here is a list of simple to implement* additional objects that will make it easier to build logic (mostly save space) and make it possible to create some new tricks:

1. the already mentioned "Simple Button" - a button that is in the pressed state only if any mass is on it (this includes players, pets and bricks of course)
3. a Sticking Pressure Switch (Starts On) - a switch that conducts electricity until pressed. Once pressed it stays in the off state.
4. a Rotary Toggle Switch that starts in the horizontal position
5. Voltage-triggered Switches for other orientations (for electrical current coming from bottom, left and right)
6. same for Voltage-triggered Inverted Switches

* simple to implement because the assets (graphical sprites) and/or (similar) game logic is already part of the game.

Bonus: an Electric Light tile - same logic as Electric Floor tile but not deadly
Should come in different colors or the ability to set the color from a small color palette smile
For this one the implementation is a bit more work though.

Last edited by Matrix (2013-04-09 09:58:31)

#8 2013-04-09 10:01:48

colorfusion

Matrix wrote:

Here is a list of simple to implement* additional objects that will make it easier to build logic (mostly save space) and make it possible to create some new tricks:

1. the already mentioned "Simple Button" - a button that is in the pressed state only if any mass is on it (this includes players, pets and bricks of course)
3. a Sticking Pressure Switch (Starts On) - a switch that conducts electricity until pressed. Once pressed it stays in the off state.
4. a Rotary Toggle Switch that starts in the horizontal position
5. Voltage-triggered Switches for other orientations (for electrical current coming from bottom, left and right)
6. same for Voltage-triggered Inverted Switches

* simple to implement because the assets (graphical sprites) and/or (similar) game logic is already part of the game.

Bonus: an Electric Light tile - same logic as Electric Floor tile but not deadly
Should come in different colors or the ability to set the color from a small color palette smile
For this one the implementation is a bit more work though.

I think light tile is already planned, coloured light system would probably take a bit of work to implement though.

Being able to rotate some tiles would allow most of these, like use scroll wheel or something.

#9 2013-04-09 10:18:03

Matrix

colorfusion wrote:

I think light tile is already planned [...]

You are right! I missed that one. Here's the quote:

jasonrohrer wrote:

In v6, there will be a "light box" tile that lights up when powered, but is not deadly.  Like a disco floor tile.  So, that will help you test electric floor and trapdoor traps (and maybe even door traps) without dying!

Anyway, once this is in place, it will be possible to play the game without ever dying, if you are careful.  And I really like that aesthetic:  the feeling of needing to be very careful.

Take me to the original post

colorfusion wrote:

Being able to rotate some tiles would allow most of these, like use scroll wheel or something.

Yeah exactly, that's why they fall under the easy implementation category.

Although you need to keep in mind that some simple rotation changes might require changes to the logic in different parts of the game code. But these changes are easy to do since they don't require new kind of logic. It's just involves copy-pasting existing code or adding additional parameters to calls etc.

Last edited by Matrix (2013-04-09 11:02:41)

#10 2013-04-11 00:39:33

DrNoid

- A tool to un-stick sticking pressure plates.

#11 2013-04-11 04:28:19

votekick

DrNoid wrote:

- A simple button:

+1

Also a sticky Off
Chihuahua walks across plate and permanently cuts power, this can be accomplished with the voltage trigger inverted switch but can be a problem with the wire-bridge bug.
and continuing on with the electronics how bout a capacitor? after power us cut u get a few steps before whatever is connected gets disconnected (would provide I'm balancing as long as code houses are still damn near impossible).

Last edited by votekick (2013-04-11 04:36:26)

#12 2013-04-11 04:56:38

Matrix

I like the idea of a capacitor. This opens new design possibilities without the need of weird door+animal+voltage switch combos for this specific situation. Would save a lot of space as well.

That being said it might be overpowered to reduce the space needed to achieve the same effect into a single tile.

DrNoid wrote:

- A tool to un-stick sticking pressure plates.

I think this feature could be added to the Crowbar.

Last edited by Matrix (2013-04-11 05:00:16)

#13 2013-04-11 12:32:18

zed

A tool which would be interesting and easy to implement: a bear trap, which you can lay down on empty space and which will then kill any pet or human which walks on it. This would allow you to explore mazes while protecting against the possibility that a pack of pitbulls might be released behind you along some unexplored route.

Alternatively, it could just be made possible to drop drugged meat on empty squares - but that might be too cheap.

#14 2013-04-11 13:36:58

Dinnanid

zed wrote:

A tool which would be interesting and easy to implement: a bear trap, which you can lay down on empty space and which will then kill any pet or human which walks on it. This would allow you to explore mazes while protecting against the possibility that a pack of pitbulls might be released behind you along some unexplored route.

Alternatively, it could just be made possible to drop drugged meat on empty squares - but that might be too cheap.

I like the idea. I agree allowing drugged meat to be placed makes it too powerful. As I understand Jason is trying to make every item have one purpose so it is not too easy to breach a house.

Dinnanid

#15 2013-04-11 14:01:15

zed

zed wrote:

bear trap[...]kill any pet or human which walks on it[...]

Make that: any non-family human (i.e. the robber). Family should be able to
get past, nimbly shifting the trap back on to the square they're walking from.
Robbers are too clumsy or nervous for that kind of thing.

#16 2013-04-15 00:32:10

DrNoid

A lock-box - The lock-box is a small version of the vault and has 5% of the money/items of the house in it, and 1 random painting from the archive if the house owner has more than 4. The robber has to choose which to open, the lock-box or the vault. Opening the lock-box does reset the house (unlike opening the vault) and you can watch the tape.

Why?
* You can make a trap with two levels of deviousness. After solving part 1, they can choose to take the 5% and live, or attempt to reach the real vault and probably die wink.
* If someone robs your vault, at least you have the money in the lock-box left.

#17 2013-04-15 02:41:03

Matrix

DrNoid wrote:

A lock-box - The lock-box is a small version of the vault and has 5% of the money/items of the house in it, and 1 random painting from the archive if the house owner has more than 4. The robber has to choose which to open, the lock-box or the vault. Opening the lock-box does reset the house (unlike opening the vault) and you can watch the tape.

Why?
* You can make a trap with two levels of deviousness. After solving part 1, they can choose to take the 5% and live, or attempt to reach the real vault and probably die wink.

I like the options that this would add to the game.

#18 2013-04-15 09:49:32

Danred

What about some items being 'pickupable', such as the ladder, and voltage meter.  With two ladders you could then walk along as many pits as you like by picking up the one behind you to place it in front.

#19 2013-04-15 10:00:53

Danred

Matrix wrote:
DrNoid wrote:

Why?

I like the idea too.  But how about having a decoy safe?  Potentially leading the burglar down the wrong path to be rewarded with nothing.

#20 2013-04-16 18:58:44

Dinnanid

Danred wrote:
Matrix wrote:
DrNoid wrote:

Why?

I like the idea too.  But how about having a decoy safe?  Potentially leading the burglar down the wrong path to be rewarded with nothing.

I like the idea but there would need to be a ranged way to identify if it was real or not otherwise the fake safe would be seriously abused. hmm

Dinnanid

#21 2013-04-17 02:21:44

Matrix

Dinnanid wrote:
Danred wrote:

I like the idea but there would need to be a ranged way to identify if it was real or not otherwise the fake safe would be seriously abused. hmm

If you want it to be a decoy vault then you can't have a way to tell early, or it's not a decoy anymore.

I see only 2 ways how this could be implemented; it's either a backup vault where the robber can tell the difference, or a decoy vault where he can't big_smile

#22 2013-04-29 10:10:31

steve121234

I'd like an item that would let me open a door with a dog behind it, without me dying.
perhaps a brush or something that can open the door without entering the door space.

#23 2013-05-01 13:35:46

jearr

I love the idea of decoy-vaults, particularly in light of Mr. Rohrer's upcoming addition of maps.  To balance them against overuse you'd have to make them prohibitively expensive ($2000 a piece?). 

I think alt versions of the various wiring switches is an obvious suggestion (sticking pressure plates that start on would allow simpler trap design that uses doors or trapdoors), but I'm not totally against having certain restrictions on trap design parts either.  It makes it more challenging to find ways to use the existing tools. 

The lockbox concept sounds like it would make home design more fun as well as giving the robber different priorities, so I'm all for it. 

I'm interested in the rubber-boots object to save you on electric floors because it would weaken defenses that rely exclusively on them (which is the case for so many houses in the current build), and because electric floors are overpowered.

Last edited by jearr (2013-05-01 13:37:15)

Board footer