The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-03-14 15:14:18

GotABigTrap

Re: Do you wanna rob me?

yeah I died many times in your house so was very surprised to see you fell for the fake combo lock.  Literally every time I died I would go in your house and try to rob it.  I mistakenly believed the 3 cats were there so you could stop the dog from following you so that you could turn the doggy commit gate on.  Then to my surprise there is nothing at the end of the first hallway sad

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2014-03-14 15:21:08)

#27 2014-03-14 15:20:58

gyuri

I wanted to see what's down there. I'm not really an experienced robber, I wonder why my bounty was so high.

#28 2014-03-14 15:25:04

Blip

gyuri wrote:

So I thought it's kind of boring sitting in my house and went out robbing. I tried to play it safe, but as soon as I saw the cat I knew I went one step too far.

My house lasted for about a month with only two people who made it to the vault: JoshWG and LiteS. Some of you might have been in my entry hall, so I wanted to share the whole thing with you. It's not very complicated, but I tried to make some nice puzzles instead of having a bitlock or something.

http://i.imgur.com/YOLPVG3.jpg

The solution was quite simple: you had to send the cats across the commit gate in order to open the powered doors and close the pits, then get the chihuahua and the pitbull and go to the vault. My solution to the powered pit room had two leaps of faith but people figured out much easier ways to get through with the pitbull, so kudos for those. I have an animated gif of my solution, but it seems to be too big for image upload sites.

I really, really like this design! It's well-modularized and features good puzzles that are actually difficult to solve. The bit with the rotary switches is cool; it reminds me of something I built way long ago, but with electric floors and no dogs. My only suggestion would be passing power to the three pits from the end of the electric floor lines, so that if people water their way out of those corridors, the pits close.

Overall, I think this is the type of house that the game needs more of; hard puzzles all the way through, but solvable with enough scouting, thinking, and lucky guesses.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#29 2014-03-14 15:25:38

GotABigTrap

I don't know, but you got further than anybody else so far.  My house has only been around about a week now.  The combo lock when you enter my house is completely fake.  It looks like a combo lock, but it activates when you press the commit button no matter what combination you enter. Tons of people put some code in and feel lucky when the trap door opens.  I think in your case you had gone further in the level and on the way back you just saw another open path.  As far as your bounty, you've been alive for a long time because I always love going to your house whenever I died.

Can you explain the cats in your house?  I mistakenly believed they were there so you could get the dog to back off while you turned on the doggy commit.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2014-03-14 15:27:46)

#30 2014-03-14 15:34:44

LiteS

gyuri wrote:

So I thought it's kind of boring sitting in my house and went out robbing. I tried to play it safe, but as soon as I saw the cat I knew I went one step too far.

My house lasted for about a month with only two people who made it to the vault: JoshWG and LiteS. Some of you might have been in my entry hall, so I wanted to share the whole thing with you. It's not very complicated, but I tried to make some nice puzzles instead of having a bitlock or something.

http://i.imgur.com/YOLPVG3.jpg

The solution was quite simple: you had to send the cats across the commit gate in order to open the powered doors and close the pits, then get the chihuahua and the pitbull and go to the vault. My solution to the powered pit room had two leaps of faith but people figured out much easier ways to get through with the pitbull, so kudos for those. I have an animated gif of my solution, but it seems to be too big for image upload sites.

Most 2k robbers died in the entry hall in the stupidest ways. Very few managed to use the pitbull to get through the commit gate and then died in the first vertical corridor. After LiteS got to my vault I put it in the third corridor with powered doors activated by the third cat (so basically you just had to send two cats ahead and then go up the third corridor). It was funny watching people figure out the original solution and then die where the vault has been.

The idea behind wife defense was: if you go right at the panic button, manage to kill all dogs or put them to sleep and open the door, she will see you and flee. When you get back to the junction, she's directly above you and will shoot you. If you go back one step in order to be three steps behind her, you will never see her in a straight line. I'm not exactly sure if it's true but I assumed you can't shoot her this way. Of course it wouldn't have been very expensive to get to her going left and killing the doggies.

It was fun while it lasted, thank you.

Thanks for posting, it was a good house. After I got to the vault the first time I just had to check if you moved it on another suicide run. Since then I've been too nervous to check since I had a house of my own.

#31 2014-03-14 15:44:45

GotABigTrap

I'm not sure I understand how you send the cats??  Do they have to be spaced apart for the doggy commit?

Also, as for the wife defense, couldn't somebody just pull all the dogs out to the enterance where there is lots of space and use dog food.  Then club all the dogs by the panic button, shoot the wife?  That is of course assuming they knew the layout.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2014-03-14 15:49:34)

#32 2014-03-14 15:48:58

LiteS

GotABigTrap wrote:

I'm not sure I understand how you send the cats??  Do they have to be spaced apart for the doggy commit?

You send them across by first getting the dog stuck, then opening doors in front of the cats, then leading the cats one at a time over the doggy commit.

Last edited by LiteS (2014-03-14 15:49:26)

#33 2014-03-14 15:50:37

GotABigTrap

OH I get it you hit the button for the cats to cross.. duh lol

#34 2014-03-14 15:52:02

gyuri

About the cats. I wanted to make a house where you had to chase cats through corridors in the right order and distance to send them over the commit gate. Then I had the idea to use a room full of doors to make yourself the corridors you need for the job.

If you just open all the doors, the cats will run around and accidentally die on the electric floor making the commit gate unpassable.

You can watch the solution here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21572638/test.gif

Blip wrote:

My only suggestion would be passing power to the three pits from the end of the electric floor lines, so that if people water their way out of those corridors, the pits close.

Nice suggestion. On the other hand, nobody ever brought 29 bottles of water, so I don't think that's a real issue.

#35 2014-03-14 15:55:47

LiteS

gyuri wrote:

Wow, your trapdoor switch room solution was way trickier than what I found.

#36 2014-03-14 16:01:28

gyuri

GotABigTrap wrote:

Also, as for the wife defense, couldn't somebody just pull all the dogs out to the enterance where there is lots of space and use dog food.  Then club all the dogs by the panic button, shoot the wife?  That is of course assuming they knew the layout.

I think the cheapest way to do it is: drug the dog an the entrance, go down, break the window, drug four of the six dogs to be completely safe, club the two dogs next to the panic puttons and the third one might be also clubbable. But you have to shoot the two in the lower corridor and the wife too... That's $4700 if I'm not mistaken.

#37 2014-03-14 16:29:15

BoxDrunken

Damn I never would of thought that was how you did it.... Never in a million years like a few people mentioned above I died at least 15 times in your house Once.... I made it across the first comit and trapped my self in the first tunnel.crazy crazy i'm just not that creative...

#38 2014-03-14 23:06:52

shlam16

You spent 40k playing around in my house at one stage. My name in that life was Trent Raymond Adame. It was fun watching someone other than a 2k beginner come in. You never managed to get a look at my vault, but you did however contribute to my defenses heavily because I really beefed up my defenses in the parts you brute forced.

#39 2014-03-15 00:08:04

TheNinja

The design of this house is simply amazing. Every corner and every place is used wise for traps that i still can't figure out(still don't know how to use inverted switches....if someone could explain me?)

If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.
-Jeffrey R. Murphy
Find me on steam NinjaStylle

#40 2014-03-15 00:17:23

shlam16

@TheNinja

Those three long columns of electric floor need to have a cat flung down them which simultaneously opens the next powered door and closes trapdoors further along.

Then you get to the trapdoor maze with the inverted switches. All they do is pass power in whichever direction they are facing. You have to go into the maze and set it up in such a way that when you go back and surf the chihuahua with the pitbull 2 steps behind, all 3 of you can traverse the maze alive.

Then you simply walk to the vault picking up pitbulls along the way to flick switches for you.

It is a neat puzzle style system. Not too complicated. Pretty easy to brute force for the high end players. About 10k worth of tools would be sufficient.

Board footer