The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-21 02:34:40

shlam16

People who keep their values intentionally low

I don't understand it to be honest. One name in specific is Christopher R. Holmes. He frequently keeps his value below $100, but he has like 15 paintings and a house that is obviously in no danger from 2k robbers. I might scout him and knock off his paintings soon, but I just don't get how it can be fun to hide at the bottom of the list constantly.

I frequently drop to 2k, but only as a result of unsuccessful robberies or art acquisition. But <$100? It wouldn't even get any attention. Hell, I like my starter homes to have $500-1000 let alone a seemingly top tier house. I would have thought it was a broken/abandoned house, but the art remains despite the value of the house rising and falling, which means the vault is intact.

#2 2014-03-21 13:43:42

MakinGravy

Re: People who keep their values intentionally low

I do this because I don't have all the time in the world to check on my house. When the value gets too high, more people will die and drive up the value of your house. Eventually, there will be a good chance that someone will brute force his way to your vault. By keeping your values low, you can wait until you commit a successful robbery to improve on your house. This helps if you know you won't return for a few days.

Last edited by MakinGravy (2014-03-21 13:47:22)

#3 2014-03-21 13:53:25

Blip

MakinGravy wrote:

I do this because I don't have all the time in the world to check on my house. When the value gets too high, more people will die and drive up the value of your house. Eventually, there will be a good chance that someone will brute force his way to your vault. By keeping your values low, you can wait until you commit a successful robbery to improve on your house. This helps if you know you won't return for a few days.

I do this too, but not once I have a strong house that's nearly complete. The house in question seems pretty secure; 15 paintings staying safe is an indicator of some very good defenses. I don't see why they have a house that could hold a high cash value, but keep it low instead.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#4 2014-03-21 14:08:42

booper

maybe they aren't  all about conspicuousness

#5 2014-03-21 14:09:53

LiteS

They're fighting against the rich robber playstyle. With a ton of money in the vault, one person can chain from rich house to rich house taking them all down with stolen tools. With 15 paintings and $100 in the vault the owner is basically telling the world that he's satisfied with his art collection and doesn't want to get robbed.

#6 2014-03-21 21:52:10

Amatiel

srsly shlam?

You are totally guilty of doing this yourself lol

Or you at least spend your money as soon as you get enough of it, but I very rarely see your value above 10k

This is the ONLY reason your paintings aren't hanging in my gallery btw

Last edited by Amatiel (2014-03-21 21:53:34)

Current Name: Darryl Gary Breeden

Died to self test yet again..... FFS..... ill be back

#7 2014-03-21 22:10:25

Lord0fHam

believe me Amatiel, shlam's house is REALLY frickin confusing.

It's a trap!

#8 2014-03-21 22:18:19

shlam16

Amatiel wrote:

srsly shlam?

Or you at least spend your money as soon as you get enough of it, but I very rarely see your value above 10k

You have been very cocky about robbing me numerous times Amatiel. I have 63 paintings, come take them if you can. Even lowballing their worth at 10k each, that is over 600k value right there. Things didn't turn out well for the last few top tier adversaries I have had. If you are Mr Noonan or Mr Dunn you MAY have enough money to get lucky on a brute force, but otherwise, come join the legions of those to have tried and failed.

I am not one to let my value stagnate after the 10k mark when people stop robbing you, I am very active and steal my way up to 20k before going on serious scouting trips. Sometimes peoples bases are so weak that the initial 20k is enough to rob them, then I just spend that money and go scout someone else. Other times I fail to rob them, but have a 3/4 complete castledraft map of their house before allowing 2k robbers to replenish me before going back the next day. My point being; I don't just babysit 10-20k, I use it. And unless I get carried away on a robbery, I never have less than 4k,

Last edited by shlam16 (2014-03-21 22:18:48)

#9 2014-03-21 22:33:24

Amatiel

shlam16 wrote:
Amatiel wrote:

srsly shlam?

You have been very cocky about robbing me numerous times Amatiel. I have 63 paintings, come take them if you can. Even lowballing their worth at 10k each, that is over 600k value right there. Things didn't turn out well for the last few top tier adversaries I have had. If you are Mr Noonan or Mr Dunn you MAY have enough money to get lucky on a brute force, but otherwise, come join the legions of those to have tried and failed.

I am not one to let my value stagnate after the 10k mark when people stop robbing you, I am very active and steal my way up to 20k before going on serious scouting trips. Sometimes peoples bases are so weak that the initial 20k is enough to rob them, then I just spend that money and go scout someone else. Other times I fail to rob them, but have a 3/4 complete castledraft map of their house before allowing 2k robbers to replenish me before going back the next day. My point being; I don't just babysit 10-20k, I use it. And unless I get carried away on a robbery, I never have less than 4k,

A couple of days ago i literally had just loaded up on 60k of tools ready to do you when your value plummeted. I felt rather ripped off tbh, even tho you didnt have much when i first looked at you. Realistically, with the way you manage your funds, anyone who robs you is going to make a huge financial loss. Good strategy i guess.

Also, paintings are worthless.

#10 2014-03-21 22:40:16

shlam16

Amatiel wrote:
shlam16 wrote:
Amatiel wrote:

srsly shlam?

A couple of days ago i literally had just loaded up on 60k of tools ready to do you when your value plummeted. I felt rather ripped off tbh, even tho you didnt have much when i first looked at you. Realistically, with the way you manage your funds, anyone who robs you is going to make a huge financial loss. Good strategy i guess.

Also, paintings are worthless.

Money is worthless. There is literally not a single cent I could spend on my house anymore. Paintings are the endgame. I have no desire to be at the top of page 1, babysitting a pile of cash, I would rather use the cash to keep accruing more paintings. Come pay me a visit with 60k, you wouldn't be the first. My vault has yet to be seen, let alone reached.

As for making a financial loss to rob me, if you don't count paintings as a symbol of wealth then you are entirely correct. Nobody will ever make a cash profit from brute forcing me, because I see absolutely zero point babysitting that much money when I could actually be having fun robbing people.

(Btw, just making it clear that this is intentional braggadocio/smack talk; I really do want to see what it takes for someone to reach my vault; I want to share my house with this community. However I will not do that simply by sitting on an ever so slowly rising pile of cash. Noonan and Dunn (who I assume you are one of) have been at the top of the list for weeks and their value barely changes. Nobody pays any attention to them. That is not fun. The endgame for me is entirely about robbing paintings.)

Last edited by shlam16 (2014-03-21 22:44:21)

#11 2014-03-21 23:09:01

Amatiel

i have tried accumulating money the method in which you claim to have so much success, but i have only been able to make limited gains doing so. I robbed a lot of houses but often was one tool short before the vault or the house had a cheap wooden facade but concrete and death lay deeper making you waste tools/attempts all the time.

I strongly suspect you have help with your robberies, either you have more than one account or like i have done in the past, have a friend that assists you in scouting houses. I have no real problem with either, I just don't see how else you could possibly be having so much success robbing houses under 20k without help.

I'm not on the top page anymore, i screwed up a few robberies. I was sure you knew who i was anyway.

#12 2014-03-21 23:35:40

42dustman

Self-testing is torture.

#13 2014-03-21 23:45:06

Amatiel

Wow

A picture speaks a thousand words...

This one is saying a lot, and i dont think shlam is gonna like it

#14 2014-03-22 00:01:01

Amatiel

Ill share what i know as well, heres an update.

http://castledraft.com/editor/dH9rBu

#15 2014-03-22 00:26:41

Amatiel

http://castledraft.com/editor/rubSwi

This should be the final update and amendment

The broken voltage triggered switches signify i dont know if they are inverted or not as i forgot to note that... not that its of importance.

To rob him i suggest bricking the window beneath the cat then ladder across the pit and saw your way up to the top of the map drugging the dogs as you go, his vault must be up the top of the map somewhere i reckon, try top left corner first then work ur way back to the top right corner. EDIT: It is probably actually down the bottom right or at least the right hand edge of his house. be sure to bring plenty of other tools if you do it.

Alas I have run out of cash so I leave it to you nice people to deliver the coup de grace

ADIOS Mr HOWARD! ITS BEEN NICE KNOWING YA!

This friendly neighborhood message was brought to you by Mr Coney smile

Last edited by Amatiel (2014-03-22 00:57:53)

#16 2014-03-22 01:15:45

Lord0fHam

Well i still cant figure it out even with this. Maybe i'll try tomorrow.

It's a trap!

#17 2014-03-22 01:16:37

Amatiel

Id also like to add that i believe Mr Howard is about to discover the downside of not keeping a large sum of money in your vault.

Being that you cant afford to change your house in an emergency like this smile

#18 2014-03-22 02:08:55

42dustman

That inverted voltage triggered switch next to the entrance is not tripped, my mistake.

Last edited by 42dustman (2014-03-22 02:09:25)

Self-testing is torture.

#19 2014-03-22 02:20:27

StefanLindskog

I don't approve of exposing shlam's house like that - at all. I have a more complete map than you guys do, and would never post it here. Shame on you dustman and Amatiel.

EDIT: If shlam's house fall because of this it was a collaborative forum brute force job (CFBFJ) and won't count towards any honor.

Last edited by StefanLindskog (2014-03-22 02:22:04)

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#20 2014-03-22 02:31:01

Amatiel

StefanLindskog wrote:

I don't approve of exposing shlam's house like that - at all. I have a more complete map than you guys do, and would never post it here. Shame on you dustman and Amatiel.

EDIT: If shlam's house fall because of this it was a collaborative forum brute force job (CFBFJ) and won't count towards any honor.

Well really he has brought this on himself

He keeps his wealth so low which discourages/frustrates most serious brute force attempts but also, crucially leaves him vulnerable to "CFBFJ" as you call it.

If he kept a proper amount of cash in his vault this wouldn't happen because he could just change his house when it happens and players would be less likely to be willing to share this information.

The theme is relevant even here: Its ALWAYS your fault when you die.

#21 2014-03-22 03:23:42

StefanLindskog

In order for robbing him to be a point, you have to share his opinion about paintings being the endgame. The fact that you want to rob him "just 'cause" seems petty to me. Him playing the way he does is within the boundaries of the game. You exposing his house to everyone outside the game is not. Who's the next CFBFJ-target after shlam? I don't like it at all.

EDIT: I realize that seeing shlam as a threat is a legitimate reason for taking his house too. Regardless of which reason for attacking him you choose, the cost will be justified. He took me down at a considerable loss for being a threat mostly, but also for having a nice painting that would complete his collection.

Last edited by StefanLindskog (2014-03-22 03:40:04)

#22 2014-03-22 04:07:42

shlam16

Thanks for the support Stefan, fair douche act on both of their parts, not that it is any surprise. Meh, just goes to show that they can't do it alone. I might save up a few bucks and knock off Mr Coney. I know he is one of them and it will serve him right. Teach him how it is really done.

Last edited by shlam16 (2014-03-22 04:28:37)

#23 2014-03-22 04:34:05

42dustman

StefanLindskog wrote:

Who's to approve what is and isn't a honorable strategy in TCD? All kinds of "low" strategies are used extensively in this game: Clocks, wireless transmission (before the bug was fixed), magic dances, comb locks behind commit gates, use of superior wealth to brute force possible threats out of the picture, scouting and transferring money with dual accounts, destroying poor houses just for the lulz, artificially keeping your wealth low to avoid attention, constantly reseting the death counter to make the house look harmless to noobs, hoarding paintings so no one else can have them, etc...

Talking of being honorable in this game is like talking of being hygienic in the sewers. hmm

And by the way, Shlam also does most of those things I mentioned:

LQqAGyN.jpg

4L2VbH3.jpg

Self-testing is torture.

#24 2014-03-22 04:34:32

Amatiel

StefanLindskog wrote:

In order for robbing him to be a point, you have to share his opinion about paintings being the endgame. The fact that you want to rob him "just 'cause" seems petty to me. Him playing the way he does is within the boundaries of the game. You exposing his house to everyone outside the game is not. Who's the next CFBFJ-target after shlam? I don't like it at all.

EDIT: I realize that seeing shlam as a threat is a legitimate reason for taking his house too. Regardless of which reason for attacking him you choose, the cost will be justified. He took me down at a considerable loss for being a threat mostly, but also for having a nice painting that would complete his collection.

That is mostly why i want to rob him, threat factor.

And again he is only CFBFJ vulnerable due to his style of play

Why is this outside the boundaries of the game?

One could argue the same for dual accounts, people working together on any level and finding out what your name is etc. What gives you the right to decide what is 'within the boundaries of the game'?

You are entitled to your opinion, mine is as far as i'm concerned he entirely brought this on himself by not keeping a low profile and making it public that he will eliminate anyone who he views as a threat in addition to what i said above about how he keeps his value so low.

This is not the first time someone has been taken down by CFBFJ, in fact it was attempted for the exact same reason last time. The community riled against what they saw as a common threat.

Ill roll out the welcome mat for you Shlam, best of luck to you.

Last edited by Amatiel (2014-03-22 04:43:35)

#25 2014-03-22 05:01:49

StefanLindskog

Ok. I get your side of it, really. What I disapprove of, is the public way he's being taken down outside of the game. I want the smack talk here on the forums, but I want the achievements inside the game. By crowd sourcing the mapping of a house you meta game your way to vaults. To me that's kinda like cheating. Most of the other things you mention happens inside the game, and I have no problem with those aspects of the game.

game > forum

Board footer