The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-23 03:22:38

CircleOfSorrow

This game is Broked.

TheCastleDoctrine was fun while it lasted. What seemed like an inexpensive game has turned out to be the most expensive game I have ever purchased based on play hours.

Does anybody else think that using alt accounts to fund brute force attacks is akin to masturbation?

Have fun wankers!

LuLz big_smile

#2 2014-03-23 04:02:28

StefanLindskog

Re: This game is Broked.

I wouldn't know. I don't double account or masturbate.

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#3 2014-03-23 08:38:19

BoxDrunken

I laughed at that post

#4 2014-03-23 13:15:02

LiteS

CircleOfSorrow wrote:

What seemed like an inexpensive game has turned out to be the most expensive game I have ever purchased based on play hours.

CircleOfSorrow wrote:

When I first got it, I spent two days almost continuously playing.

#5 2014-03-23 15:14:20

cullman

I gotta wonder if this is the guy who's house I scouted with my solitary account but across 3-4 deaths/days, and then robbed his vault twice today, which he left in the same place with another $7k in it just a few hours later.

#6 2014-03-23 15:16:51

cullman

Though I didn't brute force him, I solved his buttons by trial and error.

#7 2014-03-23 20:31:55

CircleOfSorrow

LiteS wrote:
CircleOfSorrow wrote:

What seemed like an inexpensive game has turned out to be the most expensive game I have ever purchased based on play hours.

CircleOfSorrow wrote:

When I first got it, I spent two days almost continuously playing.

What may seem to you to be an obvious point escapes me completely...

This game is broken because of cretins that would buy a game multiple times in order to exploit a game mechanic, and your point is? You are obviously not an example of such a pathetic individual?

l

Hey guy that developed this game...I had a great time until it became obvious that you have, whether knowingly or otherwise, allowed the cretins in your player base to exploit the mechanics of the game...

#8 2014-03-23 22:05:51

LiteS

CircleOfSorrow wrote:

This game is broken because of cretins that would buy a game multiple times in order to exploit a game mechanic, and your point is? You are obviously not an example of such a pathetic individual?

All's I'm sayin' is you bought this game for presumably $16 US, then played it for more than just a few hours. To call it the most expensive game you've played based on hours played gives me the impression you feel ripped off, that you didn't get what you paid for. I'd say most AAA games have about a 10 hour plot and cost, what, a hundred dollars (AUS) new?

Regarding the whole "multiple accounts exploit" thing, I do not think it is a huge problem. Yes, it can be abused, but if your house falls to a dual account attack it is very likely that your house would also fall to about $4000 worth of tools.

My suggestion to you is build better, build stronger, and know that there are plenty of players in exactly the same boat you are.

#9 2014-03-24 00:40:23

PsyBlade

Dual acc exploits are not limited to 4k attacks. Obviously 20k attacks can be done regularly too. Probably even more. Try only limit is the amount of people trying to start a new house.

#10 2014-03-24 06:10:37

CircleOfSorrow

LiteS wrote:
CircleOfSorrow wrote:

All's I'm sayin' is you bought this game for presumably $16 US, then played it for more than just a few hours. To call it the most expensive game you've played based on hours played gives me the impression you feel ripped off, that you didn't get what you paid for. I'd say most AAA games have about a 10 hour plot and cost, what, a hundred dollars (AUS) new?

Regarding the whole "multiple accounts exploit" thing, I do not think it is a huge problem. Yes, it can be abused, but if your house falls to a dual account attack it is very likely that your house would also fall to about $4000 worth of tools.

My suggestion to you is build better, build stronger, and know that there are plenty of players in exactly the same boat you are.

My statement stands that per hour of play this game is the most expensive I have ever bought. The game is broken, and as such merely provides an illusion of gameplay as expected. Once it becomes obvious that competing players have a massive advantage which is not based upon skill, any previous enjoyment was derived under false pretense on the part of the developer. The only players that can enjoy this game are those that exploit the broken game mechanics and prey on others, and those poor creatures that can't see that the game is broken.

I'm not asking for a refund or anything. Buyer beware. And this guy will never get another dollar from me. I consider it a kind turn to tell him so.

#11 2014-03-24 06:30:30

PsyBlade

CircleOfSorrow wrote:

this guy will never get another dollar from me.

What exactly would you have him do differently? And how?

Last edited by PsyBlade (2014-03-24 06:32:21)

#12 2014-03-24 07:16:22

MakinGravy

Well, I'm still enjoying it. I haven't really had a house of mine obviously exploited.

All it takes is a house with a good protection system and a low probability of incidental solution. Maybe three or more alternate accounts could make someone invincible; but, there are plenty of honest (or poor) players who aren't exploiting anything. Also, anyone who enjoys cheating can't get much pleasure out of a game like this; just give it time, and they'll most likely just go back to wanking. It seems simpler and less expensive.

Last edited by MakinGravy (2014-03-24 07:17:15)

#13 2014-03-24 08:43:17

CircleOfSorrow

PsyBlade wrote:
CircleOfSorrow wrote:

Disclose that the game is pay-to-win and that unlimited credits are available to those with two accounts, but not to those with one. If I had of read this statement, I would never have purchased this game.

If I read that the exploit is fixed, I might come back for a second look.

#14 2014-03-24 09:11:45

colorfusion

CircleOfSorrow wrote:
PsyBlade wrote:
CircleOfSorrow wrote:

Disclose that the game is pay-to-win and that unlimited credits are available to those with two accounts, but not to those with one. If I had of read this statement, I would never have purchased this game.

If I read that the exploit is fixed, I might come back for a second look.

Jason is doing pretty much everything he can to stop dual account exploits. If you have any ideas for how he could further limit it without hindering normal play, then you should suggest them.

The only big "exploit" left that I'm aware of is the fact that you can be more careless on a second account and use information from it to advantage your first account. This applies to pretty much everything you can own; get two vases and you can drop one vase and still have a vase to display, and learn not to do that with the second vase. That doesn't really make the vase pay-to-win.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-03-24 09:12:33)

#15 2014-03-24 09:22:10

MMaster

This discussion is repeating over and over and over again - there is no way to fix it. Get used to it - that's why forced ignores and chills exist. I don't know why but I'm playing this game every day for around 6 weeks and I have never ever had problem with multiple account users. Yes I saw some, but they didn't get too far. It is certainly small advantage, but nothing as serious as you describe it (thanks to chills and force ignores).

It is the same in other games and there is currently NO way to fix it - if someone has 2,3,4+ copies of the game he usually has advantage in every MMO game. It is the same in real world - when you have more than 1 thing of something (e.g. car) you don't have to care that much about it as even when you lose 1, you still have other one. While person that has only 1 (car) would be really sad if someone would steal it from him. This is how the world works - it's not Jason's fault.

One thing to learn from this - when you see MMO game, it is going to have "exploit" in form of multiple account users.

CircleOfSorrow wrote:

This is not true. If he has 2 accounts he can go and die in house of the 2nd account only once a day (chills).

Jason did everything he could to make the impact of such exploiting as little as possible - kudos to him for introducing force ignores and chills as that was really good idea.

I completely understand how you feel, but believe me it's really not that bad as you currently see it. Now stop bitching and go build some house, die, build another house, get robbed, die, etc as this game is about that and it does not matter if your house was robbed by single user with 10 accounts within 1 hour or single user with 1 account after 10 days. The outcome is the same and it is part of the game - your house will always fall. Build another house and carry on.

#16 2014-03-24 09:57:58

CircleOfSorrow

You guys honestly don't get it? neutral

Ok...

Steps to exploiting The Castle Doctrine;

1. Get two accounts
2. Scout lowest ranking houses for a weak house
3. Purchase 2k worth of tools with Acc 2 and die in weak house
4. Use Acc 1 to collect tools and cash from weak house
5. Repeat until desired cash/tool levels are attained

I watched two ladders and a blowtorch being used to steal 380 bucks from my safe. Tell me what I can learn from that event and all of the brute force jobs before it...

Stoopid.

#17 2014-03-24 10:39:25

colorfusion

CircleOfSorrow wrote:

Ok...

1. Get two accounts

I watched two ladders and a blowtorch being used to steal 380 bucks from my safe. Tell me what I can learn from that event and all of the brute force jobs before it...

Stoopid.

Scouting for an easy house that you can be sure to solve on your main account isn't as easy as you make it sound. At the end you get a very maximum of $1200 more for killing one account, risking your main account, and spending a whole lot of time and effort scouting out houses that you can reach the vault of without using any tools. There are much better ways to make money.

Also, this doesn't really scale with how much money you put in. Even if you spent millions you'd only have some advantage over other players.

Someone spending excessively has nothing to do with dual accounts as far as I can see. If what you say is completely true then perhaps it was somebody on a revenge mission from when you stole from them. It kind of sucks, but death and being robbed is part of the game.

It would be nice to remove all advantages for dual accounts, but so far nobody has really given any suggestions that would help without hindering normal play. From what I see you only get a tiny advantage as it is, but in a game like this it's natural to try to blame things on unfair or cheating behaviour of other players.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-03-24 10:46:09)

#18 2014-03-24 11:19:37

CircleOfSorrow

colorfusion wrote:
CircleOfSorrow wrote:

Ok...

1. Get two accounts

Stoopid.

Scouting for an easy house that you can be sure to solve on your main account isn't as easy as you make it sound. At the end you get a very maximum of $1200 more for killing one account, risking your main account, and spending a whole lot of time and effort scouting out houses that you can reach the vault of without using any tools. There are much better ways to make money.

Also, this doesn't really scale with how much money you put in. Even if you spent millions you'd only have some advantage over other players.

Someone spending excessively has nothing to do with dual accounts as far as I can see. If what you say is completely true then perhaps it was somebody on a revenge mission from when you stole from them. It kind of sucks, but death and being robbed is part of the game.

It would be nice to remove all advantages for dual accounts, but so far nobody has really given any suggestions that would help without hindering normal play. From what I see you only get a tiny advantage as it is, but in a game like this it's natural to try to blame things on unfair or cheating behaviour of other players.

Guy, are you trolling? It is as if I am arguing that the sky is blue or that the earth is round and you are straight-faced denying it...it's moronic. I'm not being rude. Just honest if blunt.  Are you a child?

#19 2014-03-24 11:25:17

colorfusion

CircleOfSorrow wrote:

Guy, are you trolling? It is as if I am arguing that the sky is blue or that the earth is round and you are straight-faced denying it...it's moronic. I'm not being rude. Just honest if blunt.  Are you a child?

No, I agree that it is a problem and would prefer it to be somehow not a problem, but I just think that it's not as game breaking as you think.

Finding a house that you can get through with no tools and no risk yet can temporarily hold over $1200 doesn't really sound easy. It seems to me that the effort gone into finding such a house would be better spent in robbing legitimately or refining your traps. I'm willing to be proven wrong though if you can show many such houses.

#20 2014-03-24 11:27:04

CircleOfSorrow

In fact I'm calling you out as a troll...no way does somebody that needs my 5 steps broken down further for them to understand the exploit properly have the intelligence to post a coherent message online.

#21 2014-03-24 11:29:29

booper

CircleOfSorrow:

'sky is blue' and 'earth are round' are also theories/opinions that had to be validated and proven. just stating something does not make it true, but adding evidence and science will make it more likely to fit as an explanation for observed behaviors.

also, you are rude. tongue

#22 2014-03-24 11:38:51

CircleOfSorrow

colorfusion wrote:
CircleOfSorrow wrote:

No, I agree that it is a problem and would prefer it to be somehow not a problem, but I just think that it's not as game breaking as you think.

Finding a house that you can get through with no tools and no risk yet can temporarily hold over $1200 doesn't really sound easy. It seems to me that the effort gone into finding such a house would be better spent in robbing legitimately or refining your traps. I'm willing to be proven wrong though if you can show many such houses.

Wow. Just...wow.

Ok, we're gonna do this.

Now, if you get confused at any point, remember to stop and gather your thoughts, or you can even start from step 1 again if you get totally lost.

How to Exploit The Castle Doctrine

by Circle

Step 1

Buy two The Castle Doctrine accounts.

Step 2

Allocate one account as 'Account 1' and the other account as 'Account 2'.

Step 3

Using 'Account 2', scout houses from the very lowest entries in the home list in ascending order. When you find yourself standing next to vault, DO NOT ROB THE VAULT!

Step 4

Exit the house.

Step 5

Purchase $2000 worth of tools with 'Account 2'.

Step 6

Enter solved house with $2000 worth of tools.

Step 7

Die

Step 8

Enter house with 'Account 1'.

Step 9

Rob house with 'Account 1'.

Step 10

Profit

Step 11

Go to Step 3

Last edited by CircleOfSorrow (2014-03-24 11:41:17)

#23 2014-03-24 11:39:03

colorfusion

CircleOfSorrow wrote:

In fact I'm calling you out as a troll...no way does somebody that needs my 5 steps broken down further for them to understand the exploit properly have the intelligence to post a coherent message online.

I'd really like to have it pointed out where you think I went wrong or misunderstood. As boop said, you're doing nothing to actually back up or enforce your point.

Step 4, "Use Acc 1 to collect tools and cash from weak house", requires you to actually get through the house on Acc 1. To make the full profit you need to do this with no tools. If you actually took huge risks with your main account then this exploit would be even worse. Because of both of these, you need to have scouted out and be sure to have found the correct route through the house on Acc 2 for this to be an effective exploit; because if you're taking risks and only getting a $300 profit on the robbery then I don't think this is at all a problem.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-03-24 11:44:00)

#24 2014-03-24 11:40:39

MMaster

Maybe it would help if you tried to understand what we are saying instead of trying to force us to agree with you. We are not trolls or childs (at least physically I'm 30 - psychically I feel somewhere around 20-25 wink ) - we are just playing the game for quite a long time (compared to other games in my case) because we like it. We are trying to explain to you from our experience that it is not as bad as you think. There is nothing more we can do for you. If you are still convinced that you are right then be it. That does not mean that we need to agree with you.
As colorfusion said - if you have any suggestion how to fix it go ahead and suggest it. I would really like to solve it on free community server too. If you can find solution for community server (where everyone can create as many accounts as he wants for free) I will be really grateful to you.

#25 2014-03-24 11:43:57

CircleOfSorrow

I give up. Enjoy your 'game'. Be careful of objects that are hot or sharp. You are welcome.

Board footer