The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-22 18:36:37

xandalis

Stupid self-test fails...

So, how many times have people somehow screwed themselves while upgrading their house? Well, in my recent case, I was adding in a new commit gate... had swapped every lethal/blocking component... Except for the new powered doors. Forced myself to complete the route, thus locking in the changes (and loss of about $2100) into effect. Dammit. Now I'm sitting at 138. Grrr.

#2 2014-03-22 19:06:47

Kimenzar

Re: Stupid self-test fails...

better than to loose his life through uncalculated chihuahuas >.> or misplaced pits

#3 2014-03-22 20:34:50

42dustman

I once lost a 50k home self testing...

Self-testing is torture.

#4 2014-03-22 21:09:51

HardKor

No one has "cracked" one of my houses.  I always end up dying before anyone gets the chance.  Half the time it's to self-tests while the other half is for poor scouting techniques.  I have no idea how to rob people and turn a profit.  too many commit gates, bit locks, and doggy pit traps.

#5 2014-03-22 21:11:04

xandalis

Ouch. Haven't had that kind of loss... yet. It'll probably happen though. In the mean time, back to waiting for people to die in my house... Right now there's only one pitbull to worry about, the rest are chihuahua-fied until more funds come in...

#6 2014-03-23 14:21:53

Garinoth

Every single time I've died in a self-test, apart from the 2k runs. Last time I was in a bit of a rush to improve my house (had to leave home, but couldn't let those 15K there, easily bruteforcebale with a bit more than 2k tools) aaaand forgot to put a power source on my commit trap -.-'

#7 2014-03-23 16:03:10

xandalis

Ugh. Had something similar happen last round. Somehow I'd "back-wired" the final defense layer... having it only powered from the "outside" of the vault, rather than inside as well... Still was funny considering the guy who pointed it out during the robbery only got $42 total... after killing the wife and using a saw. Wasted 2k life. So, the design is fixed now. Still not sure how some of the internal power wiring disappeared though. could swear it was there when I did the self-test...

#8 2014-03-23 17:04:32

Blip

My best house ever fell due to my forgetting that powered doors don't conduct. I can't believe that I was so dumb; I had put so much effort into that place, and killed myself so swiftly and easily.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#9 2014-03-23 22:17:41

shlam16

Replace anything dangerous/committal with indicator lights and all Pit Bulls with Chihuahuas and test every possible outcome. I have died several times in self tests, but never by a faulty mechanism, only by being distracted and making missteps in costly places.

#10 2014-03-24 01:07:24

StefanLindskog

shlam16 wrote:

Replace anything dangerous/committal with indicator lights and all Pit Bulls with Chihuahuas and test every possible outcome. I have died several times in self tests, but never by a faulty mechanism, only by being distracted and making missteps in costly places.

I died twice from self testing in 5-8k houses yesterday. Got sloppy with the keys both times. That feeling. You go from "Yay, what a cool design I have going!" to "FUCKING BOLLOCKS!!!" in a heartbeat. In retrospect, I like it. In the heat of the moment, though...

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#11 2014-03-24 03:14:42

Leveller

I love and hate that feeling when you misstep and your heart skips a beat, then that COLD COLD feeling .. "oh... it's finito... no way..... no.... no.. "   That leads to anger.  And walking away from the computer for 20 minutes.     

Ontopic,   yes.  I hate myself doing it. Added a bitlock last night and worked nice.     Changed the entrance.  Say code was   1 and 2 out of 6.     I pressed 6 and 5 because i moved entrance to it backwards.     SILLY SILLY me..

#12 2014-03-24 03:39:20

xandalis

Leveller wrote:

I love and hate that feeling when you misstep and your heart skips a beat, then that COLD COLD feeling .. "oh... it's finito... no way..... no.... no.. "   That leads to anger.  And walking away from the computer for 20 minutes.     

Ontopic,   yes.  I hate myself doing it. Added a bitlock last night and worked nice.     Changed the entrance.  Say code was   1 and 2 out of 6.     I pressed 6 and 5 because i moved entrance to it backwards.     SILLY SILLY me..

Yup, done that a few times now, actually. Though one time I screwed myself when updating the code, not due to getting the code wrong, but due to having failed to reset the final section of flooring that had been triggered by the panic button when the wife got killed. Cleaned up the bodies, fixed everything else... Whoops.

#13 2014-03-24 04:08:19

Osmium_Planet

I remember once I had a really nice house going, trapdoors, the lot, with about 6k in bank. I was rocking it, and to self test first I made sure there was no way I could die, so I removed shotgun, commits, pitbulls were chiwawas etc, lights for floors. Started on the self test, and was trying to work out a sequence of door entries to trap a pitbull (Chiwawa).
I got to this one point, where I was next to this pit, and I couldn't work out why the chiwawa wasn't moving past it (Another chiwawa had died in it earlier on, unseen) So I was walking around by this pit, and suddenly my brain gave the great idea "If you move onto the tile, it'll give you it's status". So I walked into a pit, then sat there for 5 minutes crying.

Stupid me.

#14 2014-03-24 05:39:50

poor

I had a nice little house with a magic dance (I don't care what you think) to get to the vault. My wife was guarded by two pit bulls. I was doing "well" by my standards, with about 1400 in the vault. Then some total ass comes in with clubs and a gun, kills a pit bull (oops on my part), gets the other one stuck on the dead body, walks up to where he can just barely see my wife, and waits to shoot her. Self-test time!

I was a bit upset, and forgot the last part of the magic dance.

Last edited by poor (2014-03-24 05:40:15)

"Safety" is relative
Current life: None; I'm quite dead.

#15 2014-03-24 06:53:07

shlam16

poor wrote:

I had a nice little house with a magic dance (I don't care what you think) to get to the vault. My wife was guarded by two pit bulls. I was doing "well" by my standards, with about 1400 in the vault. Then some total ass comes in with clubs and a gun, kills a pit bull (oops on my part), gets the other one stuck on the dead body, walks up to where he can just barely see my wife, and waits to shoot her. Self-test time!

I was a bit upset, and forgot the last part of the magic dance.

I don't think people have anything against magic dances per se. It is just the players who use it as their sole tactic that annoy people. Those who need a magic dance to clear the first section before finding another magic dance in the next section, and another, and another. I like my houses to have one magic dance, one combo lock, some pet wrangling, some forced selection, and my personal favourite, power transfer (where you have to solve a puzzle of buttons/toggles to ensure power reaches where it is supposed to).

Board footer