The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-18 08:52:59

jearr

Pitbulls cannot pass over pitbull corpses

Pitbulls cannot pass over pitbull corpses or drugged pitbulls.  Therefore, an infinite number of pitbulls can be thwarted by killing one or two, creating a dog-proof square which you can safely stand on or stand behind like a dog-proof wall.  In addition to being able to handle obscene numbers of dogs with limited tools using this strategy, you can also use it to easily draw out family members in order to murder them.  I understand Mr. Rohrer will be working on family AI for v6.   

I personally think pitbulls are underpowered because of what I say above, but also because they cost 200 but can be killed for 20.  For the cost of 1 dog you can kill 10.  I think pitbulls could be rebalanced by making it so crowbars can't be used against them, but removing the step-over issue alone would make pitbulls much stronger.   

After thinking about this some more, fixing the corpse-blocking issue would require adding additional logic to handle new cases where multiple entities occupy the same square.  Multiple drugged pitbulls would probably justify a new icon (pile-o-dogs).  If pitbull corpses and drugged pitbulls occupy the same square, drugged pitbulls should always display on top.  In such a square, corpses could be preserved or not when resetting a drugged pitbull after a successful robbery.

Last edited by jearr (2013-04-18 11:30:24)

#2 2013-04-18 12:17:37

ukuko

Re: Pitbulls cannot pass over pitbull corpses

You can't really argue against a tile named 'pile-o-dogs'.

#3 2013-04-18 17:01:58

pavram

Drugged pitbulls wake up when a person tries to stand on them.

Drugged pitbulls should wake up when another pitbull is adjacent to them.

Pitbulls should be immune to crowbars.

Pitbull corpses should still block other pitbulls.

#4 2013-04-18 18:46:09

votekick

pavram wrote:

Drugged pitbulls wake up when a person tries to stand on them.

Drugged pitbulls should wake up when another pitbull is adjacent to them.

Pitbulls should be immune to crowbars.

Pitbull corpses should still block other pitbulls.

+1

#5 2013-04-19 06:42:44

edwardoka

The pitbull dam thing is something of an issue, and agree that it could be done better. I don't entirely agree with the concept of "dead dogs block live dogs", though.

Alternatively, something like the dwarf fortress implementation. 1000 dragons can fit in a single square so long as 999 of them are lying down :-)

In real life if you got 100 trained-to-kill pit bulls all together, they would attack and kill each other.
Also, shooting a dog should scare any other dogs away (could be done by temporarily giving them the cat AI, temporarily?)

Last edited by edwardoka (2013-04-19 06:43:19)

Board footer