The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-31 21:21:30

JoyOfTrapping

Female Players

In the course of all the musings today, I was thinking about player demographics.  And then an odd thought occurred to me:

Has there ever been a female player that has played the Castle Doctrine?  Has a female ever seen the Castle Doctrine?  Has a female player ever placed a map tile?  Will a female ever know about the Castle Doctrine?  Are there any female human beings that are on the Castle Doctrine forums?  Will a female person ever play the Castle Doctrine, ever?  Does a female person know what the Castle Doctrine is, and will it ever?  Will a female ever rob a house?  Will there ever be a female that dies to a self test?  Will a pit bull or cat ever be female!?

Ok I'm being absurd here but it's just to make you think.  No females in Castle Doctrine.  Ever.  You've got to give it to Jason as a developer.  He tried to capture the spirit of a uniquely male 1990s power/paranoia fantasy.  He did such a good job that both in game and out of game, it's all men doing the doing; females are just NPCs.

YT: www.youtube.com/user/JoyOfTrapping - The Bushido Code of Castle Doctrine:
Death  --> Observation --> Knowledge --> Power  --> Application --> Testing --> Skill
Seriousness --> Caution --> Deliberation --> Clearer Thinking --> More Success --> Less Frustration
Lack of Attachment to Results --> Lighthearted Play --> Respect for Enemies --> No Anger After Failures --> Faster Skill Building

#2 2014-03-31 21:33:04

StefanLindskog

Re: Female Players

I know of one.

Current life: Unknown

Rotary toggle switches... Sooooo sexy.

#3 2014-04-01 04:00:38

xandalis

Actually, interesting timing on this thread. I was having a discussion about that in this game with my mother yesterday. She noted that while subtle, it's a common alienation women find in games. And then wondered just how much larger the player base for the game might be if there was a gender option for the playable character. All this came out of me mentioning something that had happened in-game earlier in the day.

I did however explain some of the game's dev history as I'm aware of it, including the early (before my play time with the game) stage when there were only the men and otherwise empty homes with just a vault.

Though from a marketing/exposure standpoint, it still may be a detriment to Jason's sales figures. She also games a bit, though only within the casual-gaming genre, but lack of what she feels are adequate representations for her as a player will still turn her away from a game she might otherwise play/buy/spend money in (think things like farmville on facebook as what she plays usually).

#4 2014-04-01 08:33:57

eppfel
Website

This cries out to make a mod...

#5 2014-04-01 09:01:14

42dustman

eppfel wrote:

Only mod that would attract female audiences to this game would be one that turns it into The Sims or Mario.

Self-testing is torture.

#6 2014-04-01 18:42:35

xandalis

42dustman wrote:
eppfel wrote:

Only mod that would attract female audiences to this game would be one that turns it into The Sims or Mario.

Please go back under whatever rock you live under.

#7 2014-04-02 08:53:44

jasonrohrer
Administrator

One of the people who won the contest was a woman.  Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

#8 2014-04-02 10:36:20

xandalis

jasonrohrer wrote:

One of the people who won the contest was a woman.  Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

^ That right there, says it all.

#9 2014-04-02 13:03:49

pagedMov

JoyOfTrapping wrote:

it's all men doing the doing

I think he did this because back then it was up to the father of the house to support the family.

Currently attempting to carry out the legacy of my greatest life, James Michael Henley

♪ Hello darkness, my old friend ♪

Board footer