The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#51 2014-04-03 15:04:01

Blip

Re: The King of Castle Doctrine:

iceman wrote:
Blip wrote:

Brit seemed more secure, until I found what may be the funniest solution of all time. If that's the intended solution, I hail Brit as a genius.

Video, please? =P

Not just yet. I have some (non-TCD) work to do, and then have to actually to and finalize my solution before heading in with my main; I only can bring $4k work of tools with me!

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#52 2014-04-03 16:32:19

Blip

Welp, I did a dumb and forgot to bring a brick. There's a lot of cash down the drain.

#53 2014-04-03 16:35:33

GotABigTrap

haha that was fast.  That should have been more reinforced but I didn't like doing the self test because it would take forever. lol.

http://castledraft.com/editor/hHRuAT

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2014-04-03 16:41:28)

#54 2014-04-03 16:59:42

Blip

GotABigTrap wrote:

haha that was fast.  That should have been more reinforced but I didn't like doing the self test because it would take forever. lol.

I liked your place, and wanted to solve it legit, but my final run was tooled just because I didn't want to die from cops. tongue
I'm also so glad that the steel was only 5 thick! That was pure luck!

Last edited by Blip (2014-04-03 17:00:14)

#55 2014-04-03 17:05:53

GotABigTrap

Blip wrote:
GotABigTrap wrote:

I liked your place, and wanted to solve it legit, but my final run was tooled just because I didn't want to die from cops. tongue
I'm also so glad that the steel was only 5 thick! That was pure luck!

yeah I knew it was going to fall soon!  I've seen a few people discover that the door eventually opens.  basically you have to run back and forth counting steps to do it.  If you try to step just back and forth you'd never make it because the cops will get you.  It would take me about 15 mins to do it running back and forth like 100 times and then a few steps right next to the door.   Nobody has made it past the 2nd room and only got past the first because the cats got stuck in the door.

I think you had figured it was a clock so you knew that there was very likely a clock exactly  7 steel up!  It would have been smarter for me to move more of the components around to make it require a certain amount of brute force from any direction of attempt.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2014-04-03 17:08:41)

#56 2014-04-03 17:12:09

Blip

Well, that cash served for some nice upgrades and a new painting in the collection! Up to 62 paintings now!

#57 2014-04-03 18:08:28

Storm

Chester Norman Lopez is the new standing King. Any words you'd care to say, Chester?

#58 2014-04-03 18:09:51

Blip

So Lopez is the official king now...

Looks like the de-throning must commence again! Though I doubt I'll be the one who does it, I'm far too cautious now that I have a good house and paintings.

#59 2014-04-03 18:46:08

tigerbalm immunity

idk about lopez. but Lilly is down. 2 paintings and $60k. i am the new owner. i brought waaay more than i needed, but i real effective scouting trip to find out what i'd actually need was like half the final cost so it made more sense to just guess and bring the big guns.  I brought 8 waters, 8 meats, 25 saws, 5 torches, 3 explosives, 4 ladders, 4 bricks, and 3 guns. i used 24 saws, 1 brick, 3 waters, 2 ladders (which i knew i'd need to cross a pit gap), and 3 torches. 0 meats. 0 bombs. 0 guns. 

that was my first big robbery, and, myeah, me no wanna die.

Watch out for that first step; it's a doozy.

Currently dead

#60 2014-04-04 06:41:30

shlam16

I had 67 paintings before 3 sad little players decided to team up and group scout my house, sharing my map on these forums. Between them they spent about 100k to find my vault, but they never cracked it. I retired it and delegated my paintings and money to my brother. He subsequently died in Patrick Victor Connells house and sent them back to auction. I was planning on going for 100 before they group brute forced me. Probably would have gotten there too. With 80% of my map posted online, they knew how to find the vault for about 20k, but for a single person who wanted to keep a safe path back to the door and had no idea where the vault was it was impossible short of 100k worth of tools. Had multiple 60k attempts who never came close.

They had their little panties in a twist, accusing me of having dual accounts when I didn't. Blip, you are open about having multiple accounts, so I would beware of 42dustman and amatiel (and one other, can't remember his name). They will probably start teaming up and sharing your design on the forums soon.

Last edited by shlam16 (2014-04-04 06:49:44)

#61 2014-04-04 08:25:26

LiteS

shlam16 wrote:

I had 67 paintings before 3 sad little players decided to team up and group scout my house, sharing my map on these forums. Between them they spent about 100k to find my vault, but they never cracked it. I retired it and delegated my paintings and money to my brother. He subsequently died in Patrick Victor Connells house and sent them back to auction. I was planning on going for 100 before they group brute forced me. Probably would have gotten there too. With 80% of my map posted online, they knew how to find the vault for about 20k, but for a single person who wanted to keep a safe path back to the door and had no idea where the vault was it was impossible short of 100k worth of tools. Had multiple 60k attempts who never came close.

They had their little panties in a twist, accusing me of having dual accounts when I didn't. Blip, you are open about having multiple accounts, so I would beware of 42dustman and amatiel (and one other, can't remember his name). They will probably start teaming up and sharing your design on the forums soon.

When you had 67 paintings you weren't on top of the list. Heck, you weren't even anywhere near the front page.

#62 2014-04-04 12:17:33

Blip

Herbert, who's in second right now, seems to be popping on and off the list. Is somebody (Lopez maybe) scouting his place?

#63 2014-04-04 12:28:25

Storm

eppfel wrote:

Harris now has the most paintings, but not the most money. So, who's the new king then?

The reason paintings arent a reflection of kingliness is because it takes less skill to gather them than it does to stay in the #1 position (that, and you're literally not #1). being #1 makes you much more of a target and thus requires more skill to maintain, someone collecting paintings could just drop their house down to $4k and hide like Blip did. His house is far less likely to be attacked doing that than if it were in the #1 spot, which is why he did it.

A King must hold the #1 spot, as that requires the most skill. besides, I couldn't give the Crown to #39 on the list... that's like, a "most improved player" award spot...

#64 2014-04-04 12:35:50

Blip

Just took down Herbert, and bought some more paintings. Up to 80 paintings now, and I have a good enough house that I don't think I'll be trying to stay at a low value anymore (but I will be buying any and all good paintings at auction!).

#65 2014-04-04 12:44:30

tigerbalm immunity

Blip wrote:

Just took down Herbert, and bought some more paintings. Up to 80 paintings now, and I have a good enough house that I don't think I'll be trying to stay at a low value anymore (but I will be buying any and all good paintings at auction!).

congrats, blip. didnt you start with 51 paintings? nice bump up to 80 in, what, 24 hrs?

Currently dead

#66 2014-04-04 12:59:18

Blip

tigerbalm immunity wrote:
Blip wrote:

congrats, blip. didnt you start with 51 paintings? nice bump up to 80 in, what, 24 hrs?

At 10 AM yesterday, PST, I had 2. By noon, I was up to 59, and reached 62 later that day. Over 50 of those were stolen from MMaster, but a few were purchased using the money I stole from him and GotABigTrap
Today, I jumped up to 80 from my robbery of Herbert. It was actually a pretty dull robbery:

• I used doorstops, water, and wire cutters to get through his entrance, alerting one dog in the process. I already knew from past experience that nothing was located down the hallways going straight down or up.

• Before traveling into the next room, I used some bricks and meat to neutralize the dog I had seen.

• In the next room, I checked both the routes: up and down. On the downward path, I spotted a one-thick wired wooden wall, and took my chance to cut through.

• I found myself in some sort of combo lock area, and cut down from one of the buttons - on my way, I saw the vault! Getting there only required some more saws and a single ladder. His paintings were mine.

Honestly, in hindsight I should have brought another ladder, just in case. I was lucky that I managed to bypass so many well placed pits just by sheer number of saws.
Also, does anybody know if Herbert's still alive? I think that he probably has a wife up top (top right corner maybe? it explains why his trap was so vertically compressed), and want to get her so that he can't rebuild and take revenge.

Last edited by Blip (2014-04-04 13:01:59)

#67 2014-04-04 13:05:54

Blip

I hate to keep inundating this thread with posts, but does Lopez have any comment on his top-house-ness? Usually the top guys identify themselves pretty quickly, but Lopez seems to be either not a forum user or intentionally staying quiet.

#68 2014-04-04 13:34:20

tigerbalm immunity

Blip wrote:

I hate to keep inundating this thread with posts, but does Lopez have any comment on his top-house-ness? Usually the top guys identify themselves pretty quickly, but Lopez seems to be either not a forum user or intentionally staying quiet.

i have heard nothing from him but he is definitely actively playing as his balance swings independently of his kill count, at times.

I also happen to know that the Hebert wife is still alive, though she's extremely short on cash.  Hebert, a friend of mine, has not decided what to do, yet smile

Currently dead

#69 2014-04-04 13:38:27

Blip

Blip wrote:

i have heard nothing from him but he is definitely actively playing as his balance swings independently of his kill count, at times.

I also happen to know that the Hebert wife is still alive, though she's extremely short on cash.  Hebert, a friend of mine, has not decided what to do, yet smile

You know Herbert? Tell him I'm very sorry, but I really, really wanted the Dermatillomanian paintings he had. And if I do kill his wife, it's only to prevent his revenge.

#70 2014-04-04 13:41:00

tigerbalm immunity

i have a question about your brute force requirements, blip. obviously hebert was a juicy target with 13 paintings and $70k, but he also had an entrance that exposed his initial trap, instead of requiring blind commitment over a trapdoor to view the opening trap, as many top houses do.  I assume you require higher potential profits for houses that require ladders to commit past the front door.  When that threshold is reached, do you then load up on a full kit or just bring a ladder and say a couple meats and a brick or two just to see what's going on in the 'real' entrance?

edit: also how many paintings earns one a spot on your Maybe I Will Rob You List?

Last edited by tigerbalm immunity (2014-04-04 13:42:18)

Currently dead

#71 2014-04-04 13:45:49

tigerbalm immunity

Blip wrote:
Blip wrote:

You know Herbert? Tell him I'm very sorry, but I really, really wanted the Dermatillomanian paintings he had. And if I do kill his wife, it's only to prevent his revenge.

ahh it was all for the dermotillomania. good luck hunting his wife, but i wouldn't worry about revenge just yet.  I think you whipped him good, he's off whimpering smile

Currently dead

#72 2014-04-04 13:50:03

crazyace

Howdy,

- lopez

#73 2014-04-04 13:53:45

tigerbalm immunity

crazyace wrote:

Howdy,

- lopez

lol

Currently dead

#74 2014-04-04 13:55:07

Blip

i have a question about your brute force requirements, blip. obviously hebert was a juicy target with 13 paintings and $70k, but he also had an entrance that exposed his initial trap, instead of requiring blind commitment over a trapdoor to view the opening trap, as many top houses do.  I assume you require higher potential profits for houses that require ladders to commit past the front door.  When that threshold is reached, do you then load up on a full kit or just bring a ladder and say a couple meats and a brick or two just to see what's going on in the 'real' entrance?

edit: also how many paintings earns one a spot on your Maybe I Will Rob You List?

Often, as I don't have much trouble easily getting to $10k+, I'll often bring full kits to robberies after very little scouting. Herbert's place, for example, pretty much required that I look through the first door to scout his entrance. From what I saw, I would need to tool up against electric floors, wired walls, and possibly dogs, but wasn't worried about too many pits standing in my way: as there were none in the entrance, I assumed that there would be few later on. Thus, I loaded up with a big kit and simply started cutting my way through.

With many houses that have one or more pit-commits or dog-commits before their true entrance, I often ignore them unless they have paintings. For example, I'd rather not waste lots of meat and ladders to scout out Lopez's place only to discover that there's a secure magic dance or combo lock behind all of it, have to leave, then re-buy all the tools to get to the dance plus the tools to crack it; it's just too much money spent to only earn pure cash.

As for how many paintings I look for, it depends. Once I saw that Herbert had the rest of the Dermatillomanian set, my favorite paintings in the game, he became a must-rob, and would have been even if those were his only two paintings. However, Kane and Ward, for example, have pretty secure houses and only a couple paintings, which I don't even like that much. I'll probably wait on robbing them until I'm in the home stretch, nearing 100% painting ownership, which is pretty far away. There are 155 total, I think, and I only have 80 right now, and it's getting harder to get them as there are lots of houses with only one or two. However, any house in the double digits for paintings is probably what I'd look for about now. I can't seem to find any, though.

crazyace wrote:

Howdy,

- lopez

'Sup. So is your place just dog commits the whole way, or is there some surprising new trap hidden behind all those pits, electric floors, buttons, and dogs?
Also, just so you feel safe and don't target me, I can tell you that you're firmly off my robbing list. I don't want your cash, especially at the risk it brings.

Last edited by Blip (2014-04-04 13:58:00)

#75 2014-04-04 13:58:03

crazyace

Do you want me to tell dirty stories or something? I'm not a forum warrior , sorry. Don't worry I will give away another 200K+ bty to a random lucky contestant soon enough.

Board footer