The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#126 2014-04-07 09:21:53

MMaster

Re: Dual Accounts AND The Forum

The main problem here is that AMWhy and others didn't try to read what we were saying even in the posts that he references in his first post - there is no solution that would not influence regular players in a way that is worse than what is achievable by abusing multiple accounts. You carefully consider each word you write, but fail to do so for posts of others.

I never said that I support abusing multiple accounts - I said that it is not solvable and I don't care and I'm still waiting for someone to show me how he can ruin my game by using such dual account abuse. The same goes for colorfusion - he never said that he supports multiple account abuse, but he understands that there is currently no solution to this and also that it is not as big problem to start panic and flame wars like this.

We encourage you to come up with solution that will not have flaws and will not be easily circumvented. Nobody has come up with solution that would work for multiple accounts (if I buy 10 accounts - even what cullman suggested would not work) and I believe nobody will come up with such solution without changing the game.
If you want to have serious discussion about this first thing you should do is suggest a solution and second thing is to be prepared that your solutions will be invalid instead of putting people that could oppose you into the same bag with cheaters (yes I know you didn't say we are cheaters, but you did, but you didn't, but you did, but you didn't ....).

AMWhy has posted solutions which would not work or are not viable and I replied to him why it is so per each solution he gave. Even after that he still says that he posted 3 solutions and we ignore them. That is just ignorance from his side.

There are some players that think it is ok to use multiple accounts to gain advantage and even state it publicly. It is their opinion and game allows them to do it so in theory they are right (this game is supposed to not be fair). There are mechanisms in game that were made to deal with this as well as it is possible.

So once again - saying: "There is no way to solve this" does not mean "I support multiple account abuse". I personally don't care because thanks to the chills and force ignores it does not change my game in any way. And I try to explain to other players the same - if you can't solve something learn to live with it. Sooner you will realize that you just built your houses wrong or you just had bad luck the sooner you will enjoy the game again. If you don't have any solution you have nothing more to add to this discussion as all of us know that there is advantage in having multiple accounts. Just play the game like you never knew there are players that have multiple accounts and instead of seeing cheater with 2 accounts try to see 2 robbers that work cooperatively. Currently it is part of the game and there is nothing you can do about it.

AMWhy and cullman if you wanted to make people mad at you - you succeeded. Please stop this flame war and be one community again. It was so much fun solving your houses AMWhy - you can build next Puzzle Castle - I thought that you are ready to be robbed any time when you build such houses.

#127 2014-04-07 10:26:47

xandalis

Let this thread and the other recent same/similar topic threads stand as a lesson on how not to influence friends and win over enemies.

#128 2014-04-07 12:52:02

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I'll weigh in on this very long thread here:

I don't WANT anyone to use dual accounts.  That's not the way the game is meant to be played.  In fact, if you're using dual accounts, you're really robbing yourself (of the intense emotional experience that the game can offer).  I've never used dual accounts myself when playing.

That said, there's no way to prevent people from using dual accounts (or friends from helping each other) if they really want to.

There's also no way to sort "paranoid reports" of suspected dual account usage from the real thing.  So a "report" button would jus generate a lot of noise.

Some people here claim to have discovered a simple way to prevent dual accounts.  I certainly may have missed something.  If you're onto something simple (that can be explained in a paragraph or two, not convoluted), please email me:  jasonrohrer@fastmail.fm

For those of you wondering about the status of the game:

I've worked on it for more than two years and put out 35 revisions during that time.  I see it as "done" at this point.  As far as I'm aware, there are no known bugs, and the game has gone through extensive balancing work.

Yes, I have moved on to working on game number 11 now, but of course I will continue fixing bugs as they arise in The Castle Doctrine (I do this for all of my games).

#129 2014-04-07 13:07:43

cullman

Thanks for weighing in, Jason.

Everyone else, does this mean the debate is over whether or not dual account self dumping is cheating or not?

#130 2014-04-07 15:22:15

Darkshadow

jasonrohrer wrote:

I don't WANT anyone to use dual accounts.  That's not the way the game is meant to be played.  In fact, if you're using dual accounts, you're really robbing yourself (of the intense emotional experience that the game can offer).  I've never used dual accounts myself when playing.

That is exactly what I was looking for, Thanks Jason! Thank OP for concisely listing all the issues alts have. Best of luck to cullman trying to fix the issue!

Board footer