The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-14 09:59:28

setz
Website

v.6 Electric Floor Tool?

Pretty much every build option has a counter tool that can instantly combat it from the get go, except the electric floor (pit/ladder, wall/saw). Even the other build options with two "states" have tools that effect both (power door/crowbar/doorstop). The electric floor is completely unbreakable unless it is on. Any chance there will be a new tool introduced to remedy this? Or even just make the wire cutters be able to cut them?

Last edited by setz (2013-05-14 10:00:41)

#2 2013-05-15 00:41:03

DrNoid

Re: v.6 Electric Floor Tool?

I hope not. If there is a way to break inactive electric floors, then the electric floors will just have to become 9 deep. This would mean less space for cool puzzles. Especially with the coming maps I don't think there is a need for such a tool.

#3 2013-05-15 07:39:26

setz
Website

Well if the Elec Floors were 9 deep then Pit's and Powered Trapdoors wont have to be 9 deep anymore. You only need one nine deep part to your house if you really want to use the "nine deep option". Elec Floors are TOO overpowered right now and when every house pretty much has a block of Elec Floors that make the first 10-20 steps a complete one in a million guess its impossible to even get into the rest of the house.

I GET having the Vault near the front as a lure but alot of people are just scratching the idea of making a big puzzle house (IMO how the game should be) and just making a 3x3 to 5x5 square of Elec Floors near the door and calling it a day. Just a 3x3 square can have like 100's of possible solutions.

#4 2013-05-15 22:14:30

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I've thought about adding wire cutters as a way of "snipping" electric floors when they are off.

Obviously, in v5 they are a major source of impossible-to-cut-through puzzles.

However, I'm also curious about what will happen once maps are added.  Obviously, the 9-deep thing isn't so great.  It's nice to have something that doesn't have to be 9-deep to be effective (though as soon as it's on, it becomes the cheapest trap to overcome---just a $2 bottle of water).

So, the current plan is to leave it as-is and see how the maps change things.

#5 2013-05-16 00:49:07

DrNoid

setz: All those houses with a 3x3 square magic dance will be super easy to crack as soon as maps are available.

That does lead me to an important question: When you look at a map, do you see the initial state of the house, or the current (post robbery) state of the house?

#6 2013-05-16 07:18:39

setz
Website

@Jason Thanks for the reply and we'll definitely (eager to) see what happens with Maps and v.6. An as much as I do love the $2 water bottle, the bottle of water is only good if you are getting the source electric floor. If you are at the end of the 9 deep Electric Floors and the Power Source is at the other end its gonna take 9 water bottles.

#7 2013-05-21 20:50:50

jasonrohrer
Administrator

DrNoid wrote:

That does lead me to an important question: When you look at a map, do you see the initial state of the house, or the current (post robbery) state of the house?

You see the current state of the house (like where dogs are, etc.), but you don't see whether things in the house are modified or not (like, you can't tell the difference between living and dead dogs on the map).  This is partly for simplicity of implementation (so I don't have to make blueprint versions of each and every thing in the game, fried pitbull, crippled pitbull, etc.), and partly for thematic reasons (because a dead dog wouldn't be in the blueprints).  So, a cut-through wall just looks like a normal wall in the blueprint (thematically, damaged stuff is not shown in blueprints).

#8 2013-05-22 06:16:39

da11eck

jasonrohrer wrote:
DrNoid wrote:

You see the current state of the house (like where dogs are, etc.), but you don't see whether things in the house are modified or not (like, you can't tell the difference between living and dead dogs on the map).  This is partly for simplicity of implementation (so I don't have to make blueprint versions of each and every thing in the game, fried pitbull, crippled pitbull, etc.), and partly for thematic reasons (because a dead dog wouldn't be in the blueprints).  So, a cut-through wall just looks like a normal wall in the blueprint (thematically, damaged stuff is not shown in blueprints).

I feel it is odd thematically that you could get a blueprint for a house after a robbery and it will appear with those new changes.  Why would the player not receive the original 'blueprint' of the house design?

Also, when you mentioned things modified, are you referring to switches too, ie, if an off switch is now on does it still appear as an off switch?

Board footer