The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-10 07:47:22

setz
Website

Weekly Featured House/"Tool Set"/Sign Wall Building Block

I have been thinking alot about this game and ways to change up the grind it sometimes becomes. I know Jason is working on alot of updates and fixes for v.6 and I cant thank him enough for his hard work. I thought maybe it would be cool to have a "Weekly Featured House" or something maybe made by Jason. It wouldn't have money but maybe a certain painting that you could only get from that house, but multiple people could have the painting.

Those houses could also have this idea I have been kicking around my head which is a "tool set" that the robber would always get when attempting that house. It would be 8 tools at the most like normal but the builder of the house would per-determine these (up to) 8 tools. It could be a way for people to set up houses that aren't just impossible BitLock houses but more puzzle-like in nature that require the right tools at the right place. Also, I know this is maybe ALOT of ideas for one post but I really like the idea of making this game a bit more "puzzle-like" and less of a one in a million bit lock grind. Maybe there could be another "wall panel" to build with, besides the usual 4 right now (wood, wiredwood, steel, concrete) and it would have a sign on it. When the builder of the house places that wall, a small option comes up for the player to write a short message, maybe one of two sentences. Now I'm not a coder and I'm not sure how hard implementing something new like this in a game would be but I think it would be similar to the "little box that comes up when you try and exit the game"? It asks you to write a short message or "press % to quit". That could be where you type the message for this new wall panel. Then we could build houses with little hints and clues for people to see as they are robbing our house.

I dunno, lemme know what you think of these ideas?

#2 2013-05-10 08:18:24

colorfusion

Re: Weekly Featured House/"Tool Set"/Sign Wall Building Block

I don't think a players house should be "Featured" or given a prize for completion, that would almost punish them by having hundreds of people trying to break into their house and also not being able to attempt it themselves. I think admin-made "challenge" houses with a specific tool set could be cool though, and have new paintings as the prize.

Last edited by colorfusion (2013-05-10 08:19:42)

#3 2013-05-15 23:09:32

jasonrohrer
Administrator

This kind of stuff will be considered later, after the core mechanics are ironed out.  The core game should never feel grindy.  It currently does feel grindy!  Fixing that, at the core level, is a high priority.

I've avoided any kind of written communication in-game, from signs, to chatting, etc., because I know where that will quickly lead.  Even if it doesn't lead into profanity land, it's very easy for players to write things that break the aesthetic coherence of the game, even if they don't intend to.

Instead, all player expression is channeled through the game mechanics, and there's a wide range of possible expression.  So far, none of that expression, that I've seen, has broken the aesthetic coherence (even 100 pitbulls in one room matches the dark humor that I want to communicate about home security).

Demon's Souls is a weird example here.  They allow you to post text messages, but they don't allow you to type them yourself (you have to pick from a list of messages provided by the developer).

#4 2013-05-16 02:18:24

dalleck

jasonrohrer wrote:

Demon's Souls is a weird example here.  They allow you to post text messages, but they don't allow you to type them yourself (you have to pick from a list of messages provided by the developer).

I would love a limited selection of messages that you can put on signs which fit into the aesthetic of the game, such as "Danger - Guard Dogs" or "Keep Out".  They could reveal their message on mouse over like any other object.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#5 2013-05-18 12:28:33

ukuko

I had thought about a Demon's Souls style sign messaging system. Could be fun, without ruining the feel of the game. At least, in the Souls series, it's nice to know someone else is out there, however limited the messaging system is.

Board footer