The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-02 23:01:04

Pohaku

So I got an alt account...

I've said on here before how I disagree with people ABUSING alt accounts. Basically, my current incarnation (Mr Ernst) is managing to stay alive and keep a reasonable house going, and I want to just blow past some of these commit gates and see what lies beyond... but a lot of the commit gates are so good that you need at least $2-3000 in tools just be confident of getting out again after scouting beyond them, and Mr Ernst isn't wealthy enough to spend that for all the medium houses that have them.

It boils down to being honest really, but for what it's worth I'm not using my alt to scout for Ernst.  Each time Ernst builds a decent bankroll, I will buy an expensive toolset and set about scouting a top house with my main account. In the meantime, I am using my alt to do more risky robberies in the $2-7000 range, hoping to put together a house that's good enough to maintain a small bankroll for more robbing but not being too worried about dying.

I used my alt the day before yesterday to scout a $6,000 house and found the vault location - but I was one saw away from being able to get to it. I was beyond a couple of commit-gates by that point, and had to die. I was tempted to come back with Ernst and take it down, but I did not. I waited out the chills on my alt, and came back last night for the scouted vault.  Unfortunately, my hastily built house that I put up to try and save the money overnight fell (to the first goddam robber! lol) so this morning I am back to square one.

The reason I'm posting about this is I want to post here about some of my alt's adventures without somebody screaming "But you're Ernst! And he isn't dead! So you lie!".

I currently have seven houses partially mapped using my alt, and I have three in which I am certain of how to get to the vault with one or two tools - however, I have the chills on them, and I am not going abuse the situation by using Ernst to go and rob them. Tomorrow, if they are still up, my alt will be going back in.

To make up for my slight deviation from what is deemed acceptable, I am dropping quite a few tools and bounties in most houses under $7,000...

#2 2014-05-03 00:03:11

Nakula

Re: So I got an alt account...

i do literally exactly what you do. im against alt abuse, but i want to PLAY this game more than 1 account allows me to. plus you get to contribute some more $ to the creator which is always good.

#3 2014-05-03 05:22:57

MMaster

After recent discussions where I honestly said exactly the same thing as both of you, I believe it is just a matter of time when someone will come (cullman, AMWhy, etc) and explain to you that Jason does not want you to have 2 accounts and it is not the way the game was intended to be played and you are killing the game and you should immediately stop using your second account.

Thanks for your honesty and I'm happy that someone finally understands why I have 2 accounts and how to use 2 accounts without abusing them.

P.S: Welcome to the cheaters list wink

#4 2014-05-03 06:12:58

cullman

MMaster wrote:

After recent discussions where I honestly said exactly the same thing as both of you, I believe it is just a matter of time when someone will come (cullman, AMWhy, etc) and explain to you that Jason does not want you to have 2 accounts and it is not the way the game was intended to be played and you are killing the game and you should immediately stop using your second account.

Thanks for your honesty and I'm happy that someone finally understands why I have 2 accounts and how to use 2 accounts without abusing them.

P.S: Welcome to the cheaters list wink

I am absolutely not against this kind of alting, though, I do think that for a lot of people the temptation you described would be too much to ignore.  I agree, when I was playing, I too wanted to play this game more than you could with one account, especially when I have one house that is doing well that I don't want to put at risk.  That's why I like this idea of neighborhoods, and allowing single game accounts to have multiple players in multiple realms.

* And Jason did say that he did not want people dual accounting.  Somehow, I am to blame for this?

Last edited by cullman (2014-05-03 06:13:26)

#5 2014-05-03 10:30:06

Lord0fHam

I've got a dual account, and until i retardedly died yesterday with it, both my accounts were on the first page. It's pretty fun to design two houses at once, both totally different.

It's a trap!

#6 2014-05-03 13:03:23

Killer Mosquito

Lord0fHam wrote:

I've got a dual account, and until i retardedly died yesterday with it, both my accounts were on the first page. It's pretty fun to design two houses at once, both totally different.

Man... I bet self tests are scary as hell with two houses strong enough to make the first page...

Unknown.... thanks Blip
Unknown again because I thought I'd go on a no-tool revenge run on Blip.  Silly me........
Never risk what you aren't willing to lose.
Be willing to lose everything.

#7 2014-05-03 16:13:45

Lord0fHam

yep, whenever i test my main, i practically shit my pants every time. The other house wasn't actually that bad, because i never had time to finish it, and then i died. maybe i'll make another on my alt.

It's a trap!

#8 2014-05-04 12:19:34

Nakula

Cullman, i really like the idea of multiple neighborhoods/realms/. I've been following all your posts about potentially recreating the game, and it excites me greatly. I hope you do it! I'll be your first buyer guaranteed

#9 2014-05-05 06:51:26

cullman

Nakula wrote:

Cullman, i really like the idea of multiple neighborhoods/realms/. I've been following all your posts about potentially recreating the game, and it excites me greatly. I hope you do it! I'll be your first buyer guaranteed

Thanks!  I think I will do it, but it will probably be fall before I have time/it will be released.

#10 2014-05-05 10:53:01

MMaster

cullman wrote:

* And Jason did say that he did not want people dual accounting.  Somehow, I am to blame for this?

Jason did not make million posts regarding dual account use and how he can solve it and then just left (like you, you know). Jason did not ask anyone to stop using their second account (like you, you know). Not even after I explicitly sent him email that I built something on my second account that can be abused.
YOU did ask me to stop using my second account, YOU did put fuel into fire on public forums repeatedly (making panic instead of trying to find solution privately with Jason) which has repelled even more players from this game. So yes, I think you are to blame for it.

Jason just stated what we knew before you appeared on the forums. And he also said one thing that you forget to mention, that it is not possible to prevent dual account use and that if someone knows easy solution he should send it to him (apparently that didn't happen or it was not easy solution or it was not a solution at all). I know that you have solution, but it is not implemented yet so it is still just promise and you know what people say about promises: "Nobody can give you more than we can promise you"

There is no reason to argue about this anymore as there are ~70 active houses on main server and I believe ~40 people own them.
You have a great goal before you if you want to create your server and do real cash competition for $25000 and get the money back. You should get to work because it is possible you will not find a single person on this forum in fall. I think you won't be on this forum in fall as well (you already left once not so long time ago).

There are other games taking place like free to play game The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot which has much better graphics, it is easier and it is not so punishing which is much better for general audience. As I said before - game like TCD has small community of people when you compare it to usual games that have great 3d graphics and don't need brain and strong nerves to enjoy them.

If you really plan to implement it, I think you are a bit crazy, but I wish you good luck and I hope you won't lose too much money. I hope that you won't screw up the people that put their hopes into you.

Board footer