The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-30 12:20:08

Blip

Mr. Coats is Dead... Oops.

I died like an idiot and dropped a $10k bounty in some random cheap house - I think the name was Mr. Beals. I just walked straight into a dog that I didn't see coming out of a side path. I'll post my map and a write-up this weekend; I think it was pretty clever, and nobody ever got past even my foyer.

Last edited by Blip (2014-05-30 15:26:01)

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#2 2014-05-30 16:54:03

eppfel
Website

Re: Mr. Coats is Dead... Oops.

Damn it Blip, it's always the same. I just wanted to try to crack your house with a full scale attack.

#3 2014-05-30 17:18:11

Killer Mosquito

I think this is Blip's strategy.  Epic robberies, then dies in self test so you can't get any meaningful revenge. 

I'm on to you Blip...

Unknown.... thanks Blip
Unknown again because I thought I'd go on a no-tool revenge run on Blip.  Silly me........
Never risk what you aren't willing to lose.
Be willing to lose everything.

#4 2014-05-30 18:29:27

Blip

Killer Mosquito wrote:

I think this is Blip's strategy.  Epic robberies, then dies in self test so you can't get any meaningful revenge. 

I'm on to you Blip...

This one wasn't a self-test death (neither was Harris for that matter! My only recent self-test death for a major life was Mills); I died to some lucky homeowner who just happened to have a dog commit gate that I didn't notice as I was walking back, even when I had enough tools to leave.

The reason I die so often is because, unlike a lot of top-tier house owners, I still do lots of robberies. As Coats, even once I had my house nearly complete, I robbed Pinion (twice!), Case, Callahan, and a few others. When I'm robbing that many houses, especially ones that are very, very deadly, I'm bound to mess up occasionally and die.

Completely unrelated (but I just have to ask): Who messed up Malone's place? I thought I was the only person who knew the right way through, but then I show up and find extra cats dead and the house impassable! That sucks, because I always used Malone's cash as seed money for big robberies.

Last edited by Blip (2014-05-30 18:35:53)

#5 2014-05-30 22:04:30

eppfel
Website

Blip wrote:

Completely unrelated (but I just have to ask): Who messed up Malone's place? I thought I was the only person who knew the right way through, but then I show up and find extra cats dead and the house impassable! That sucks, because I always used Malone's cash as seed money for big robberies.

Tihihi, that was me. I knew there was at least one other robber knowing the map. So, I did not want to share.

And actually i am robbing a lot as well. Maybe not as much and as successful as you, but I do not die wink Case is back on track, btw smile

#6 2014-05-31 02:16:19

FreeLove

Blip wrote:

...and nobody ever got past even my foyer.

Well you were alive for only, like, two runs.

And I've messed up the Malone house before, too. It's a nice guessing-game house, and for some reason I still haven't drafted it.

I only post because I care <3

#7 2014-05-31 06:54:24

Pohaku

'...some random cheap house" How very rude indeed! That pitbull was of the highest pedigree, I'll have you know.

I wasn't surprised that you sprung the commit without realising it - you were the third big bounty in 12 hours to die to it. After dropping my own big bounty on my last life by doing a naked scout that I thought was afe to escape from, I devised one that should catch other players unawares if they come poking around. Seeing you fall to it was very satisfying - not only was it a $9,800 bounty, but Mr Coats robbed my last house and killed my wife so you can imagine my glee at seeing him in death list!

I was surprised that it got you, though. I knew people would spring it without realising, but you had meat with you and could have survived. I guess it was a lapse of concentration.

Also disappointing was that I didn't have the bounty for long before someone came to get it - possibly you on an alt account? (I'm not accusing anything here - I'd have done the same anyway, the house wasn't up to holding $10,000 so if not you, someone else would have taken it before I got around to checking.)

#8 2014-05-31 19:11:28

GotABigTrap

haha I've been on vacation but this stuff is getting hilarious.  For one thing, I've known the partial solution to Malone for awhile and was working on the full solution when a tooled method finally struck me.  Thils was awhile ago, but once chills wore off I tested it and it worked; however, somebody had already beat me to the vault by literally a few hours, blasting their way the last few tiles.  At this point, I was able to rob it one time for around 8k.  It seems Malone is still maintained by somebody because they had fixed some of the damage that I had done.  More recently, I have seen the dog in the path and that the required cats are now dead.  I would go in now as it has some good cash but I'm unsure of the risks.

I figured out that damn combo lock house that had the pit door commit on entrance (with low cash and a ridiculous amount of paintings).  This guy had a double combo lock, which the first I read the combo lock with 5 saws - big flaw right there.  After that I was able to force my way in with a few thousand in tools on my main.  This was quite the risk to my main because if I did not have enough tools, he would have profited big time.  Often I find that when I am getting very close to a solution to a house, next time chills wear off, somebody has beat me to the vault by just a day or so.  At any rate,  You should always make it so it requires more than 5 saws to read the combination of your lock (in most cases).  My current house is an extremely simple combo lock with a twist.  It is not a difficult house to crack or brute force and holds quite the reward with 19k and 30 paintings.

Last edited by GotABigTrap (2014-05-31 19:11:42)

#9 2014-05-31 19:32:31

Blip

GotABigTrap wrote:

My current house is an extremely simple combo lock with a twist.  It is not a difficult house to crack or brute force and holds quite the reward with 19k and 30 paintings.

I think that I know what I have to do to crack your place. I just need to figure out the timing (and the initial 3-bit combo), which'll be decently difficult with only 2k of tools.

#10 2014-05-31 20:01:17

GotABigTrap

Blip wrote:
GotABigTrap wrote:

My current house is an extremely simple combo lock with a twist.  It is not a difficult house to crack or brute force and holds quite the reward with 19k and 30 paintings.

I think that I know what I have to do to crack your place. I just need to figure out the timing (and the initial 3-bit combo), which'll be decently difficult with only 2k of tools.

haha yep, I made sure that 2k scouting won't be useful unless you are lucky.  On the other hand you could just brute force it.

Board footer